Proactive Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proactive Defense

Just curious if anyone has tried any houserules that make Defense something more proactive instead of a static number.

Re: Proactive Defense

I mean, there are actions and stunts you can make to boost your defense, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean.

It wouldn't be hard to turn an attack action into a contested roll, with the attacker making a fighting/accuracy check and the defender making a dexterity check (with a shield modifier). That would also open the door for defensive stunts, which could be fun.

Comment

People have talked about it, and ultimately IMO it's too much rolling.

Comment

I have a player who is into systems with more active defense, and games with static values such as this and D&D don't appeal to him as much. There are lots of stunt options (especially in Modern Age), but I was trying to think of some ideas to make it more appealing to him without bogging things down with tons of extra rolls. Maybe some house rules alterations to the Defend and Guard Up actions or a bit more detail to shield use.
        I was also debating something where the GM doesn't roll like in DungeonWorld, but my issue there would be if you take things out of the GM's hands how would you incorporate stunts for the enemies?
        These are just thoughts. My player is ultimately more story focused and will play whatever we choose without complaint.

Comment

Working...
        X