Updating Titansgrave with Companion HP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Titansgrave with Companion HP

I have been on a tear using the Companion and MAGE HP rules to find errors and to better understand the game from the designers perspective. Both those books are quite good and sticking to their guidelines. Given that success I wanted to re-engineer the Titansgrave stats. I ended up using the evolutionary optimization engine in Excel to find the best results. My fitness function included the following:
    • minimize the absolute value difference between the published HP and the derived companion formula HP
    • minimize CON scores such that the optimizer chooses a higher threat level rather than a high CON

I also needed to tweak a few of the weaker adversaries like the White Hawk Bandit. The Companion formula needs to put this minor adversary with a -5 CON to be at 15 HP. In all the 168 F/M AGE creatures the lowest CON is -2. So I manually set these CON to -2 which reduces their HP to 21, the lowest possible. For these adversaries you might look at the mobs and minions rules since that was probably the original intention for the encounter.

Titansgrave doesn't come with any threat levels so there isn't anything to compare to. Just tried to get the combination of threat and CON that best matched the original HP. Hope this helps you with your Titansgrave settings.

Name Threat Old CON New CON Old HP New HP
    Verdigris Moderate 4 -2 40 40
    Siphon Serpents Minor 2 -2 20 21
    Autonomous Golem Turret Minor 4 -2 20 21
    Sentry Drone Minor 2 0 25 25
    White Hawk Bandits Minor 1 -2 15 21
    Holsic Minor 2 2 30 29
    Hellion Minor 1 -2 15 21
    Hellion Alpha Moderate 3 -2 40 40
    Autonomous Front Insurgents Minor 0 -2 15 21
    Guild Troopers Minor 1 -2 20 21
    Sewer Jackal Minor 2 -2 15 21
    Cloustra Hunter Minor 1 -2 20 21
    Kynagidas Moderate 4 2 60 60
    Defense Automatons Minor 3 0 25 25
    Killer Cyborgs Minor 4 2 30 29
    Jakar Moderate 2 0 50 50
    Runcible Moderate 3 0 50 50
    Hungry Stones Minor 5 2 30 29
    Kinlee Hwex Moderate 3 0 50 50
    Guardian Robot Moderate 3 -2 40 40
    Guardian Giants Moderate 3 4 70 70
    Chaos Thrall Minor 4 0 25 25
    Shadow Moderate 3 0 50 50
    Prophet Dhawan Moderate 1 -2 40 40
    Two of the CON changes make a lot of sense to me. Hellion Alpha getting -2 CON because its Constitution (Drinking) rolls probably should be terrible. Prophet Dhawan is a shade of her former power, locked in a weakened state.
    Last edited by mdlthree; 06-24-2018, 09:51 PM. Reason: Added Hermits Road NPCs
    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Re: Updating Titansgrave with Companion HP

I just edited the first post and I got a bit confused about Verdigris. He is an ancient robot, would not he have a higher CON than -2? Then I though about the transitions of HP between threat levels and CON.
    • A minor NPC with 7 CON has 39 HP.
    • A moderate NPC with -2 CON has 40HP
    • A moderate NPC with +12 CON has 110 HP
    • A major NPC with +4 CON has 115 HP
    • A major NPC with +12 CON has 195 HP
    • A dire NPC with +9 CON has 201 HP
    • A dire NPC with +12 CON has 243 HP
    • A legendary NPC with +10 CON has 255 HP

But the companion rules do have maximums that an ability can be. This means the first example is only:
    • A minor NPC has a max HP of +4 CON for 33 HP
    • A moderate NPC has a min HP of -2 CON for 40 HP
    • A moderate NPC has a max HP of +6 CON for 80 HP
    • A major NPC has a min HP of -2 CON for 55 HP
    • etc...

Those drops are wierd. Makes it a lot harder to design stuff when the transitions are not smooth. Both in CON and in HP. You would also need minimum stats(?) for at least CON to prevent those. Like a major NPC cannot have less than 1 CON, puts the minimum at 85 HP which removes the drop.
    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Working...
    X