Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

    Anyone have an idea how much conversion it would take to use the Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?
    Last edited by Charlie D; 06-25-2018, 10:08 AM.

  • #2
    Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

    It doesn't seem to be much trouble. I guess the difference between DAGE and FAGE is bigger than between FAGE and MAGE and it is almost a straight conversion.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

      Originally posted by TheRedHobgoblin View Post
      It doesn't seem to be much trouble. I guess the difference between DAGE and FAGE is bigger than between FAGE and MAGE and it is almost a straight conversion.
      Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

        Copy and pasted from the MAGE forum for the FAGE people

        Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
        Thanks. That is good to know.
        More details

        Going back to using only the MAGE rules for adversary creation, I double checked the numbers on the base (gritty) HP. 27 out of 32 adversaries in the book match the recorded gritty HP as compared to the backwards calculated one starting with cinematic. Here are off ones and by how much.
        • Sniper - 10 extra HP
        • Black Hat Hacker - 2 less HP
        • Information Broker - 2 less HP
        • Conspiracy Theorist - 2 less HP
        • Corrupt Power Broker - 2 less HP
        • Fixer - 4 less HP

        Human or Inhuman - these two NPCs were off by a lot until I switched them to the inhuman track. These are the only examples of inhuman in the MAGE rule book
        • Cyborg
        • Mutant

        The additional Sniper HP could be explained by a combination of profession and drives. Soldier is a 20+CON profession, and survival drive has the health bonus. Those should be included in the stat block. Many of the 2018 rule books (FAGE Companion, MAGE) do not encourage using PC creation rules when building NPC. That is not to say they discourage it however, and this looks to be leading to inconsistent NPC design which just makes it hard to compare and learn design.

        The others could be small errors like favoring but it looks systematic. All those NPCS have zero CON. If you add 2 CON to the Fixer and 1 CON to the others, everything is perfect.

        Looking at the FAGE Companion, is done pretty well too. It only has 5 of 12 correctly matching the backwards solving, but it is all +/- 5 HP which can be reasoned by classes. Many of those are fairly obvious to assign, but again it is a detail that could be added explicitly in the stat block.

        Looking at the FAGE Bestiary and FAGE Core Rule book however, it's all over the place. For example:
        • Burrower - 91 less HP than expected by calculation
        • Medusa - 65 less HP
        • Demon Lord - 42 less HP
        • Ocean Wyrm - 26 less HP
        • Bandit - 14 less HP
        • Minotaur - the only one that has exact expected HP
        • Crocodile - 12 extra HP
        • Troll - 33 extra HP
        • Zenadrim - 45 extra HP

        In general, 65 of 95 NPC have 10 or more less HP than they should. Only 4 have 10 or more extra HP. So if you want to use those in your MAGE you really need to re-calculate the HP.

        Same thing applies, just use the threat indicator the supplied tables to regenerate HP from MAGE.
        [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

          Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
          I can't start a new thread in Modern Age forum and don't know why. Anyone have an idea how much conversion it would take to use the Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?
          Can't start a new thread? You started two. Please be patient when starting a new thread. As a new user ( under X posts ) any thread started by you comes under additional scrutiny from the Spamerator Ray. We like to keep these forums as spam free as possible. Anyone who's been around here for longer than two years knows how bad it used to be. ( Daily posts offering drugs, kitchen remodels, sunglasses, etc. ) One of the prices we pay for keeping that kind of nonsense away is a delay in new users new threads.
          ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

            Update - I got some feedback on the MAGE forum from Malcolm that made me look at my math a second time. I realized that I could explain the sniper by also considering a CON adjustment.

            FAGE Companion designers - I can't fix a few of the adversaries in the companion with CON adjustments. Can you tell me why they are off by 5 HP? Is it classes? Is it rounding? Or otherwise?

            Adversaries with 5 extra HP
            • Orc Warlord
            • Duelist
            • Soldier
            • Tribal Warrior
            • Dwarf Captain

            Adversaries with 5 missing HP
            • Infernal Sorcerer
            • Elf Healer
            [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

              Originally posted by mdlthree View Post
              Update - I got some feedback on the MAGE forum from Malcolm that made me look at my math a second time. I realized that I could explain the sniper by also considering a CON adjustment.

              FAGE Companion designers - I can't fix a few of the adversaries in the companion with CON adjustments. Can you tell me why they are off by 5 HP? Is it classes? Is it rounding? Or otherwise?

              Adversaries with 5 extra HP
              • Orc Warlord
              • Duelist
              • Soldier
              • Tribal Warrior
              • Dwarf Captain

              Adversaries with 5 missing HP
              • Infernal Sorcerer
              • Elf Healer
              As explained to you in the other thread, adversaries aren't made with the exact same rules as characters. Additionally, sometimes the adversary creation rules don't need to be exactly followed. Note that the ones missing 5hp are traditionally considered "squishy." The ones with 5 extra hours are craeatures that are traditionally considered "tough."

              There is no exact formula. AGE is not simulationist. There's a *general* forumula, that you can use to create adversaries. But sometimes you have to use your common sense to adjust things. These changes did not "slip through QA" as you put it in the other thread. They were deliberate decisions made by the designers.
              ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

                Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                Can't start a new thread? You started two. Please be patient when starting a new thread. As a new user ( under X posts ) any thread started by you comes under additional scrutiny from the Spamerator Ray. We like to keep these forums as spam free as possible. Anyone who's been around here for longer than two years knows how bad it used to be. ( Daily posts offering drugs, kitchen remodels, sunglasses, etc. ) One of the prices we pay for keeping that kind of nonsense away is a delay in new users new threads.
                I wasn't trying to stir things up when I posted. I edited my post since things have changed since I posted this thread. I couldn't post in the Modern thread when I posted this one originally. There was no button to start a new thread in Modern but only in that sub-forum for me. When the button showed up in Modern later I posted there but then I couldn't delete this thread. I did not realize it might cause an issue since both posts do refer to both RPGs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

                  Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                  As explained to you in the other thread, adversaries aren't made with the exact same rules as characters. Additionally, sometimes the adversary creation rules don't need to be exactly followed. Note that the ones missing 5hp are traditionally considered "squishy." The ones with 5 extra hours are craeatures that are traditionally considered "tough."

                  There is no exact formula. AGE is not simulationist. There's a *general* forumula, that you can use to create adversaries. But sometimes you have to use your common sense to adjust things. These changes did not "slip through QA" as you put it in the other thread. They were deliberate decisions made by the designers.
                  My confusion. This topic is much more difficult than I thought.
                  Last edited by Charlie D; 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM. Reason: my confusion

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

                    Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
                    "slip through QA"? What are you talking about? You're acccusing me of something I didn't even write.
                    That's my post he is talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
                    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

                      Originally posted by mdlthree View Post
                      That's my post he is talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
                      My confusion. This topic is much more difficult than I thought.
                      Last edited by Charlie D; 06-25-2018, 11:41 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: how much conversion to use Fantasy Age Bestiary in Modern Age?

                        My confusion. This topic is much more difficult than I thought. I don't need the answers anymore.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X