ModernAGE fixes HP Bloat with Gritty and Toughness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ModernAGE fixes HP Bloat with Gritty and Toughness

In the recent post https://greenronin.com/.../modern-monday-occasionally-asked-questions/ we see a preview of what the new book will do about HP. It will have three modes for HP Cinematic, Pulpy, and Gritty.

Cinematic is what we currently know as the system that causes HP bloat. Nothing new here. With the addition of CON based armor known as "Toughness", cinematic will be almost as bloated as Blue Rose AGE with Heroes' Armor class talents.

Pulpy we have seen recently in another new book. In the FAGE Companion we see a section called "Making Things More Dangerous" which contains options about reducing health. Option 2 is where only 1 + CON is added each level, doing away with the 1d6 for levels one to ten. This addresses half of the issues but the 1 + CON per level is still a quadratic function of health increase which easily surpasses a characters ability to damage.

Gritty is in the title so how does it potentially avoid bloat? The key is that a character only gains more HP as a result of a ability score increase. In Gritty, extra HP is only generated through constitution and the new toughness stat. AGE is fairly balanced when you standardize combat pace. This standardization pegs 1 damage as equivalent to 3.5 HP when you have a 50% base hit chance. 1 damage is also equal to 1 armor, therefore 1 armor is equal to 3.5 HP. A characters effective HP is now in line with strength and willpower as it comes to level progression. Without those previous two sources of bloat, the pace of an encounter will not inherently decrease. Pace of a combat encounter depends on how players spend their leveling choices.

Toughness could also be implemented by using 1d6 HP instead of AR. Or you could choose between the two. Adversaries commonly have "natural armor" which is basically toughness AR.

In ModernAGE we might see a large decrease in AR in equipment as a result of toughness. FAGE needs those equipment based AR values as well, perhaps we will see soon when MAGE is out.
    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Re: ModernAGE fixes HP Bloat with Gritty and Toughness

I don't quite understand how this fixes the bloat for the monster adversaries though?

Comment

Re: ModernAGE fixes HP Bloat with Gritty and Toughness

Originally posted by gabeprime View Post
      I don't quite understand how this fixes the bloat for the monster adversaries though?
      Existing adversaries are difficult because you don't know what level they are. Gritty mode means you always know what level they are by adding up ability score. You would need to rebuild all existing monsters for HP using gritty.
      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Working...
      X