Excited about the new Fantasy AGE Companion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited about the new Fantasy AGE Companion

The new FAGE companion is available as just the PDF (preordering the physical book is not needed) at the Green Robin store and itís made very excited about FAGE again!

What I really like about the new book the most are:
    • New Talents and Specializations
    • New magical Arcana, new spells for existing Arcana and minor arcana
    • Organize stunts into packages, adjust the gameís lethality, etc.

To me, adding these to the base FAGE rules make FAGE a much more complete game that is a more viable replacement of other more popular systems like 5e and yet maintains simplicity that makes it easier to GM and easier for new players to learn and play.

What do you guys think of the companion?

https://greenroninstore.com/products...-companion-pdf

Re: Excited about the new Fantasy AGE Companion

I'm glad to hear folks liked the new specializations. I had a lot of fun with those. Some of them ended up used in Blue Rose prior, but some of my favorites were new for the Companion.

Comment

Gabe, can you tell us a little more about the lethality thing? Do you think it will work fine?

Comment

I'll buy the book, I got almost everything, but for now... what about the spells? Can be taken in place of the existing ones or just be added??

And what about stunts? Are there simplified stunts as they seem to imply?

Comment

The book is awesome. Definitely makes the game feel more complete. As advertised, there are imported rules/content from DAGE and BRAGE but plenty of stuff from neither. I feel like a lot of this stuff was inspired by some of the homebrew from the community too.

There are 4 more spells per arcana for existing schools with a greater share (compared to FAGE and DAGE) having a non-combat purpose.
          - ‎My favorite spells of that I've read so far is Beast Speech where you can talk to animals (or Wood Speech for plants) and Sentinel which is an Alarm/Scry-type spell.
          - ‎There are rules in place for selecting spells when you gain a new or degree of an arcane talent and even the swapping of spells during level up.
          - ‎There is also a section for minor arcana (more commonly known as cantrips).
          - One of my disappointments with the book so far is a the lack of a conversion to make spells BRAGE-friendly as BRAGE uses fatigue instead of MP - or did I miss that section?

The book gives you several options to dial up the lethality including reducing HP. My favorite option is simply halving Health.

Stunt packages didn't excite me much. I assumed it would be something like "If you use X and Y together, then Z also happens", but nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
            Stunt packages didn't excite me much. I assumed it would be something like "If you use X and Y together, then Z also happens", but nope.
            Stunt packages were a direct response to something we were seeing at the table among admittedly newer AGE players and occasionally GMs who were running multiple characters. Sometimes when things got rolling and high results on the Stunt Die happened we'd find people saying "Okay so I clearly want X and for my last 3 SP I...wait...Well, hmmm...I just don't know." This lead to frustration and slowdown among those players. Hence the packages.

I tried to write them so they would hopefully present some new combos and ideas to folks but they honestly aren't going to likely excite the folks who are good at using SP in combination already.

Also, I considered adding effects to them but this threw off the SP economy more than we were comfortable with and we never wanted a non-package combination to seem sub-optimal to those who wanted to use it..

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
              Stunt packages were a direct response to something we were seeing at the table among admittedly newer AGE players and occasionally GMs who were running multiple characters. Sometimes when things got rolling and high results on the Stunt Die happened we'd find people saying "Okay so I clearly want X and for my last 3 SP I...wait...Well, hmmm...I just don't know." This lead to frustration and slowdown among those players. Hence the packages.

I tried to write them so they would hopefully present some new combos and ideas to folks but they honestly aren't going to likely excite the folks who are good at using SP in combination already.

Also, I considered adding effects to them but this threw off the SP economy more than we were comfortable with and we never wanted a non-package combination to seem sub-optimal to those who wanted to use it..
              I see.

With respect to new players, I can see how stunt packages would be useful then.

After a second look at the section, I think hybrid stunt packages would provide some great inspiration for my players - we often forget about roleplaying stunts.

Thanks!

Comment

Loving the new companion. I was hoping the poison and trap rules would get ported over from DAGE, but they are pretty simple to adapt so it wont be a huge issue. So far I am loving the use Stunt pool idea, the vehicle rules (for my Titans Grave game) and spell upgrades. The new spells make the game a lot more complete and the rules allowing rogues and warriors to get in on the act with magic are very welcome. I can see a Fighting Fantasy conversion on the way soon just with these additions. Nice work! I cant wait for Modern AGE to bring even more options...
                Last edited by Phantomdoodler; 03-03-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Damn, why does this have to come out when I'm traveling and unable to get the pdf? Well, what I'm reading here sounds good, I'll just have to wait until tuesday to get a look at it myself ...

Comment

Slightly disappointed that the Power arcana - for all its flavor text about manipulating the raw power of the arcana - has no offensive/damage magic even with the new spells in the Companion.

Comment

Can Draak breed with other races?

Asking the important questions!

Comment

Originally posted by AltheaFarseer View Post

Blooded?

Comment

Originally posted by AltheaFarseer View Post

By default? Yes. Though GMs of course can determine otherwise in their campaigns. You could also do them as Blooded or (and this seems fairly common with folks making settings) decide that certain races and interbreed but not others.

I mean technically I wouldn't stop someone from letting an Orean breed with another race if someone really wanted to. But I don't think you'll see any half-Orean characters in upcoming materials unless I just have a really weird thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
                            I see.

With respect to new players, I can see how stunt packages would be useful then.

After a second look at the section, I think hybrid stunt packages would provide some great inspiration for my players - we often forget about roleplaying stunts.

Thanks!
                            When I posed the idea of hybrid stunts one of our staff (I don't recall who right now) said "OMG, you know I'd never actually considered combining stunt types and we play AGE stuff all the time!"

So I think its a relatively common thing folks forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldarc View Post
                              Slightly disappointed that the Power arcana - for all its flavor text about manipulating the raw power of the arcana - has no offensive/damage magic even with the new spells in the Companion.
                              That actually makes a lot of sense to me, it's about manipulating the fabric/power of magic, not assaulting people with blasts of force. It should be the Arcana about sensing magic, countering, and dispelling it. The Power Arcana is about interacting with and manipulating power, not being powerful.

Man, I can't wait until I have the free money to grab myself a copy, just can't justify it at the moment. I think it seems to fill almost all the holes I have with just the Basic Rulebook, the only one I've not seen disinherit addressed is if it adds a Mind Arcana (which I always considered a bigger omission than necromancy, to be honest).

Comment

Working...
                              X