X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VladGenX
    replied
    Re: Does AR stack or supercede?

i only let my players and even NPCs take the higher of the 2 AR. so a Giant with a natural armor of 4 with a Giant set of Plate Mail will take the higher of the two, the Plate. this to me prevents players and NPCs from getting too powerful. Now Mages, since they generally wear heavy armor, i allow to stack with the Magic Stunt. I even created a Divine Stunt that does the same but for any player. That is just my rules however. you can do what you wish.

Leave a comment:

• mdlthree
    replied

One place to look for clues is on page 70 of the Fantasy AGE core rule book regarding the “Stone Cloak” spell. It does not stack AND states that the effect is(?) nullified if any armor is worn at all.

I can agree that stacking sources of armor can get out of hand quickly. Player characters have no real source of natural armor so its fine for them. It’s adversaries that have the natural armor plus an opportunity to get more. I would say that the most appropriate thing would be to use only the highest number but then again in the real world, thicker (more) is better. I would probably do this for the stone cloak arcana as well. Mages are already penalized with strain. Say a mage with 3 Willpower that wears light leather (2 AR). With stone cloak, total AR is 3. As stone cloak has a duration of 1 hour, I would say that a player character could permanently assume stone cloak is active as long as their total mana pool is always stay 3 under max mana unless stated that stone cloak is not recast.

The above chart (see link to tumblr) shows the how often an armor values is used in the 118 adversaries currently described in all the Fantasy AGE official content. The maximum value of 10 is found in 3/118 creatures. Two of them are specifically heavy plate wearing, the third is a legendary creature larger than a three story house. That legendary creature is the most powerful thing published so its unlikely Fantasy AGE developers envisioned an ogre with a natural armor of 5 wearing heavy plate for a total of 15 armor. Only 2.5% of creatures have armor higher than 8.

In short, an ogre with AR of 13 will be nearly invincible. Sure the pierce armor stunt can be used, but unless that ogre is specifically tuned to have weaknesses to offset that huge advantage you are probably going to cause a TPK. So go ahead and use "supercede" or how I would phrase it, taking the higher of natural or equipment (or spell) armor.

herdingdice.tumblr.com/.../adversary-armor-rating-frequency-chart

PS: Only the "Wolf" from the bestiary has an AR of 1. On the other end, only the "Dragon" from the core rule book has an AR of 9. AR of 7 is also a little bit under represented with only 3/118 having armor equivalent to heavy mail. I would have expected the frequency chart to more strongly follow the AR values of defined armor types (3,4,5,7,8,10) but clearly there are many at 2 and 6 while few at 7.

Leave a comment:

• Doctor Atomic
    replied

What it comes down to is this: there is no right answer because as far as I know the rules do not specify. It's all a matter of interpretation. Use rules that make you happy and lead to fun games.

Leave a comment:

• shonuff
    replied

It depends. Some stacks, some replaces.

A general rule of thumb - +/-3 for modifiers. If one is more than 3 AR, I would for the most part rule that the higher AR be taken with some bonus.

Unless of course you designed the encounter with 13 AR giants.

Leave a comment:

• Doctor Atomic
    replied

It stacks for examples like you mentioned, inherent or natural armour stacks with armour worn. You cannot, however, layer heavy chainmail under heavy plate for a 17 AR. In addition, magic AR from spells and the like stack as well.

Leave a comment:

• raineym
    started a topic Does AR stack or supercede?

Does AR stack or supercede?

Does AR from different sources stack or supercede?

For example, a giant has a natural AR of 5, but if it puts on a suit of giant-sized Light Plate is its AR now 8, or 13?
Working...
X