Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [THINK-TANK] Alternative Damage system

Hey everyone,

I couldn't sleep last night and had a sudden idea for an alternative damage system.

Don't know if it's any good or what, but maybe someone of you likes it or gets his own ideas flowing:

-----------------------------------------------

THE GIST:

- No matter how many damage dice you roll, you only ever count the highest

- Armor Ratings are reduced to 1-6 (remaining armor stats are unchanged)
    Obviously, Adversaries' AR must be altered likewise

- Stunt changes:
    - 1+ SP Mighty Blow: Roll an additional damage die (per SP spend)
    - 1+ SP Lethal Blow: Add +1 to the final damage (per SP spend)
    - 3 SP Armor Piercing: Your damage is penetrating (ignoring AR)
    Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Re: [THINK-TANK] Alternative Damage system

The way I understand it is: if you roll say, 3 dice for damage, you only count the highest.. so if the highest is a 5, you would deal 5 damage (without modifiers). So basically your damage roll can never exceed 6?
    Is this correct?

With that in mind I take it a stronger weapon will throw more d6, to increase the chance of getting a high number.

If this is how it works there are some things to look at...

1) Modifiers become a LOT more powerful, currently if you roll 3d6 damage and have 5 strength. the average damage is 15.5 - so the modifier is about a third of the average damage - whereas if your maximum damage is 6 and the modifier would add 5 it would be nearly 50% of your damage on a MAX damage roll.

2) Without modifiers having AR of 6 would mean you cannot get hurt unless the guy who attacks you stunts - thus piercing your armor or increasing damage beyond 6.

3) Hitpoints would need to be drastically reduced since on average the damage numbers will be a lot lower - even after the armor change.

4) The difference in weapon damage is merely a difference in chance to roll a 6, but there is not any chance to actually have an increase in damage. This means that the difference between weapons is less than with the current system.

It seems like you're shifting everything to lower numbers and less variation, while increasing the value of modifiers.
    I'm wondering, what do you want to achieve with this concept?

Comment

You are quite right with everything.

As about the question what I wish to accomplish with this: Ask my f'n brain keeping me awake at 4:30 in the morning.
      Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Lowering AR also directly affects the ratio of Speed/Strain penalty to AR received. At a 1:1 ratio, there isn't really a reason why anyone would take that penalty, especially when Mages can very easily exceed the 6 AR. Furthermore, with 1AR separating the varior armors, there isn't a real need to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
        X