Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nearly a year since the Gencon release, any licensing news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly a year since the Gencon release, any licensing news?

I was wondering if GR had made any decisions about licensing products for FAGE. Last I heard, they were considering a Savage Worlds-ish model. What's the good word?
    This die is defective. It has twenty sides!

Re: Nearly a year since the Gencon release, any licensing news?

I heard someone was adapting Blue Rose to the AGE system.

Comment

Originally posted by BelgianBeerBaron82 View Post
      I heard someone was adapting Blue Rose to the AGE system.
      This is by Green Ronin themselves, the publishers of Fantasy AGE, so there is no licensing necessary.
      Last edited by Jakob Schmidt; 11th July 2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I was trying to be funny. No, as of now no word on licensing. Not as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by BelgianBeerBaron82 View Post
          I was trying to be funny. No, as of now no word on licensing. Not as far as I know.
          I didn't get it ... typical

Comment

So the short answer is...nothing yet.

The longer answer is more complex. We want to make sure there's a bit more text on our end to show the system, how it bends, where it might break, how it is adapted, etc... before handing it over to folks.

Also, we're concerned about some of the things we've seen with past licensing, which is a glut of...frankly substandard content (and often some great stuff too, but its still an issue that's plagued things like d20 and others)

So it's a lot to consider and coordinate, which means its taking a fair amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
              We want to make sure there's a bit more text on our end to show the system, how it bends, where it might break, how it is adapted, etc... before handing it over to folks.
              Bending and breaking sounds like you guys are not confident in the AGE mechanics or at least how the rules may be interpreted by would-be content producers. In one year since discovering Fantasy AGE and also learning competing rules set (Pathfinder, DnD 5e) I think the AGE system has the most potential for being a framework for content creators.

For an example of what I consider a weak framework, I just googled across this quote on a Pathfinder webpage about designing spells.
              Compare your spell to similar spells, and to other spells of its intended level.
              and
              When looking at the Maximum Damage tables, also keep in mind that arcane spells usually use d6s for damage and divine spells usually use d8s, and these tables assume d6s; when looking at the damage caps for divine spells, count each d8 as 2d6.
              The first quote tells me that spell effects may have been organically balanced as a result of playing experience. The second quote is why I would distrust the advice in the first quote, as there is literally no equivalence between a 2d6 roll and a 1d8 roll (averages differ by 35% and distribution shapes are not even slightly similar).

How does DnD 5e help you publish content with DMSguild? Not sure about community support, but their website gives this much to mechanics support.
              You can use the 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons system.
              Zero support there. Now I have only read the players handbook, but there is not enough information to create balanced content using those rules. Given that Pathfinder is a derivative of DnD I still don't trust that balanced content can be created for 5e easily. (see the 2d6 = 1d8 comment above).

Where can AGE pull ahead and compete with Pathfinder and DnD?

It is having the ability quickly pick up the game and play it with anyone. I am going to join my first Pathfinder campaign and while I feel I am fairly smart and RPG savvy I am having a very difficult time creating my character. Too much weight is put on level one decisions.

It is in designing a user friendly manual that perhaps minimises page flipping (PDF's are pretty but pretty much useless as a reference document, need epub or mobile content).

And if you want to compete in balance content that can easily be assessed for mechanical quality? Study and refine the Adventure Game Engine rule set and publish and content designers handbook. Something where they can find the formulas for creating a Bandit for every level (not just minor quality). It would be easy to take a custom monster and plug its stats backwards through the formulas and figure out if it works or not.

Anyway, this turned into a wall of text. In short I think AGE can compete with DnD/Pathfinder and the best thing to help that would be transparent rules and simple rules. AGE already has 70% of that simplicity and the forums community has a lot of clever and passionate people investing in discovering how it can be better.
              [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

So the short answer is...nothing yet.

The longer answer is more complex. We want to make sure there's a bit more text on our end to show the system, how it bends, where it might break, how it is adapted, etc... before handing it over to folks.

Also, we're concerned about some of the things we've seen with past licensing, which is a glut of...frankly substandard content (and often some great stuff too, but its still an issue that's plagued things like d20 and others)

So it's a lot to consider and coordinate, which means its taking a fair amount of time.
                That is completely fair. I have some of those same products you are referring to on my bookshelf. You have to protect your brand and some of those books had a lot of great ideas, but not every experiment is a happy accident.

A couple years back Chris Pramas, or someone quoting him, mentioned that it would be based off of Savage Worlds licensing. Is that still the case?

As far as where the system bends, breaks, and so on is there anything that stands out that you are willing to share? I am not part of the Blue Rose playtest, but for example, I heard they did away with class restrictions for specializations. Will that be something that continues for other lines, like the core game and Titansgrave? I realize that last question probably has a long answer...
                Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Otog View Post
                  That is completely fair. I have some of those same products you are referring to on my bookshelf. You have to protect your brand and some of those books had a lot of great ideas, but not every experiment is a happy accident.

A couple years back Chris Pramas, or someone quoting him, mentioned that it would be based off of Savage Worlds licensing. Is that still the case?

As far as where the system bends, breaks, and so on is there anything that stands out that you are willing to share? I am not part of the Blue Rose playtest, but for example, I heard they did away with class restrictions for specializations. Will that be something that continues for other lines, like the core game and Titansgrave? I realize that last question probably has a long answer...
                  Its more that we want to define certain fringe cases and moddable concepts ourselves more before we throw stuff out to others to make. The companion will handle a lot of that.

I personally am exploring specializations that don't require a particular class as well. But...I want to release those and several examples before we'd open that up. Ditto possibly a new class (which may or may not happen, but we've talked about it).

Comment

Its more that we want to define certain fringe cases and moddable concepts ourselves more before we throw stuff out to others to make. The companion will handle a lot of that.
                    Talking about the companion and moddable concepts: It would be great if you were to introduce an offficial "gritty" variant with a lower (or no) HP progression; most of the house rules seem to be about adressing what might be considered HP bloat. I know that not everyone feels this way (a lot of people feel that at higher level, you have earned your nice, big HP cushion), but I definitely like combat systems where even for experienced heroes, every hit with a weapon is something they would much rather avoid ...
                    There's actually a lot of good solutions flying around on these forums, but an official option would still be great ...

Comment

Really can not wait for the FAGE Companion, any news when it might be releasing? Thanks for taking the time to answer questions from fans.
                      Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Otog View Post
                        Really can not wait for the FAGE Companion, any news when it might be releasing? Thanks for taking the time to answer questions from fans.
                        Its next in our line, but I'm not sure exactly when. Some of the material will go quickly, being conversions and adaptations. Other parts will be a bit more time consuming. Hope to have more news soon about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob Schmidt View Post
                          Talking about the companion and moddable concepts: It would be great if you were to introduce an offficial "gritty" variant with a lower (or no) HP progression; most of the house rules seem to be about adressing what might be considered HP bloat. I know that not everyone feels this way (a lot of people feel that at higher level, you have earned your nice, big HP cushion), but I definitely like combat systems where even for experienced heroes, every hit with a weapon is something they would much rather avoid ...
                          There's actually a lot of good solutions flying around on these forums, but an official option would still be great ...
                          Gritty and increased lethality options will be in the companion, possibly with other "switches" that will change the tone and feel of some mechanics.

Comment

Gritty and increased lethality options will be in the companion, possibly with other "switches" that will change the tone and feel of some mechanics.
                            Very cool! I'm really looking forward to this.

Comment

Do we have any update on the TitiansGrave setting book or is that still a long ways off?

Comment

Working...
                              X