Radical idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radical idea

Okay, this will change the system rather drastically, but it might change some rough edges of the current one:

1) Roll 2d8 for test instead of 3d6.
    This both lowers the dice effect on rolls as well as increase randomness.

2) Stunts trigger on doubles as usual (12.5% chance)

3) Stunt points equal the rolls Degree of Success which equals "Roll result - TN"

4) Roll d8s for damage instead d6s.
    This might help on the hp-bloat + damage vs. Armor rating problems
    Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Re: Radical idea

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
    Okay, this will change the system rather drastically, but it might change some rough edges of the current one:
    1) Roll 2d8 for test instead of 3d6. This both lowers the dice effect on rolls as well as increase randomness.
    2) Stunts trigger on doubles as usual (12.5% chance)
    3) Stunt points equal the rolls Degree of Success which equals "Roll result - TN"
    4) Roll d8s for damage instead d6s. This might help on the hp-bloat + damage vs. Armor rating problems
    1. I would use 2d10 rather than 2d8. Average for 2d10 is 11 versus 2d8 of 9. 11 is much closer to the average of 3d6 at 10.5 and thus not require changing of any other rules like defense etc. I also would consider using a 1d20 for rolls (also 10.5) but lose the stunt mechanic.
    2. Yup
    3. Sure, but will likely have large SP generated the same if you made one of the dice a stunt die. Double 8s on a TN 9 (new average) generates 7 SP. Double 8s on a TN 7 (new easy) generates 9 SP. Probably should stick with one regular d8 and a stunt d8. Using 2d10 would be worse in both situations. Instead you could roll 2d10 plus 1d6, using the d6 only for SP and DoS.
    4. Maybe a short term bump, but I think looking at balancing the whole system will be more worth while IF you prefer using d6, 3d6 for tests, and higher chance of doubles using three dice. Mighty Blow some how stays at 2SP stunt cost (rounding), Lethal Blow would need to be raised to 6SP (according to my risk style calculations of average minus std.dev)

I like the 3d6 for all the reasons in bullet 4
    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Quick reply:
      I wouldn't change Defense or TN when using 2d8.
      So +7 at level 2 wouldn't be an auto hit anymore.
      Well, not as much, at least.

Comment

First, when switching to d8s, you're going to have to fiddle with damage (eg 2h maul would be 2d8+4).

Second, I would switch to 3d12. If you started with the RAW stats, you could omit ability advancements, and it would have the easiest conversion - double everything. Stunts could even use a d12 (I'd just half it).

Comment

I've been doing some maths on what the chances are of generating stunt points are now.

for 2d6 the chances are 1/6.
          for 3d6 the chances are 1/6 + (5/6 * 2/6)
          Rewritten: 1/6 + (5/6 * 1/3)
          Rewritten: 3/18 + 5/18
          Which is 8/18 or 4/9 (Yes, a whopping ~45% chance of generating any amount of stunt points)

Either lowering the amount of dice or exchanging the dice for higher-sided ones would lower these chances.
          Whatever method you're choosing, It would be good to keep an eye on these odds.

Not saying that would be bad (d20 systems have a 1/20 chance of rolling a crit). But maybe not a side-effect you want.

Comment

Yes, Thanks.

Actually, in my FreeForm rules, I use the option of lower stunt probability (double only on non-stunt dice) because having a stunt every other roll is just too often and dulls the "hurray" effect I associate with a critical role (or what would count as such).

With 1/6 on these rules or 1/8 under my proposed set, the difference isn't that big.

EDIT:

Also, one could always rule that stunt points are capped at 6 - no matter how good you roll.
            Last edited by DracoDruid; 18th July 2016, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X