Homebrew Paper Arcana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Paper Arcana

Hello everybody. This is my first attempt at a homebrew arcana. I'd really appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Paper Arcana

Your pen is mightier than the sword.
    Novice: You learn the spells Cutting Words and Shifting Letters.
    Journeyman: You learn the spell Writer's Block. You also gain the focus Intelligence (Paper Arcana).
    Master: You learn the spell Leap From The Page. You can also choose one spell stunt you can perform for -1SP when casting Paper Arcana spells.

Cutting Words
    Requirements: Paper Arcana (Novice)
    Spell Type: Attack MP Cost: 3
    Casting Time: Major Action Target Number: 11
    Test: Dexterity (Acrobatics) vs. Spellpower
    A piece of paper flies toward a target of your choice within 20 yards. It inflicts 1d6+Willpower penetrating damage.
    A successful Dexterity (Acrobatics) vs. Spellpower test only takes 1d6 penetrating damage.

Shifting Letters
    Requirements: Paper Arcana (Novice)
    Spell Type: Utility MP Cost: 4+
    Casting Time: 1 Minute Target Number: 12
    Test: None
    You can focus on any thing you can see within 100 yards. Your magic bends and produces a duplicate image onto a piece of paper you are holding.
    For an extra 2 MP you may make changes to the duplicated image. (Ex. Shifting a signature on the document or adjusting a map.)

Writer's Block
    Requirements: Paper Arcana (Journeyman)
    Spell Type: Defense MP Cost: 6
    Casting Time: Major Action Target Number: 12
    You conjure a flurry of pages that create up to a 3 yard long wall of paper.
    Anyone trying to attack through the paper takes a -2 penalty on their attack rolls.
    If you cast this spell more than once in an encounter, you can link together the sections into one continuous wall.
    The wall lasts until the end of the encounter, or until it takes Fire damage equivalent to your Spellpower.
    You can end the wall earlier as a free action if you so choose.

Leap From The Page
    Requirements: Paper Arcana (Master)
    Spell Type: Utility MP Cost: Varies
    Casting Time: Major Action Target Number: 15
    You call forth a construct made of paper that awakens within 10 yards of you, giving it senses, awareness, and movement.
    It becomes the equivalent of a wood golem. Granting it vulnerability to fire and resistance to other nonmagical attacks.
    It is friendly and obedient to you for the duration of the encounter. At the end of the spell, the golem's pages fall and recollect into whatever tome or object it was formed from.
    Last edited by Archive78; 29th June 2016, 06:47 AM. Reason: Updated based on feedback.

Re: Homebrew Paper Arcana

First impression: I lit up with a huge smile reading through this. The concept is at once novel and amusing, and the enthusiasm is palpable.

After reading it over and giving time for consideration, I am a little concerned about the Target Numbers for the Novice spells. I'm not an expert, though, so I'll defer to the more experienced Brewers on the forums for the fine tuning you requested.

That said, don't stop coming up with ideas! I look forward to what other new things might come up.

Comment

I'd bump up the damage of Cutting Words to 1d6+WIL (or INT). The earth damage spell is that plus Knock Prone for 1 MP more, and while this seems in line with Shadow Dagger, I'd up that as well.

Comment

The TNs are a little higher than most of the basic arcana, 9-11 for novice arcana that modifies combat, (Arcane Lantern is 9 but not really for combat) but the average unmodified die role is a 13, so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Overall the only really innovative spell you're doing is the Shifting letters which is a cool spy system. It would be cool to add some pieces that really make things different or specific for your arcana.

Leap From the Page
        TN15
        Casting: Major
        MP Variable.
        Summon a monster from your bestiary, threat level Major or below see (pg 103 of FAGE Core Rules book) This monster is friendly to you and will follow your commands as a minor action (the monster gains a full major and minor). MP is variable based on the type of monster
        Minor - 10
        Moderate - 15
        Major 20
        Only one monster may be summoned at once. The monster takes an extra 1D6 damage against any fire based weapons/attacks. If the creature is destroyed, it is lost from the bestiary until a new research tome is purchased. I'd make them a semi rare item so it makes your usage a little more specialized.

Comment

Also, there should be a save for Cutting Words - like vs. DEX (Acrobatics) for 1d6 penetrating damage.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback HalcyonLioness, shonuff, and Brion.

I'll try adjusting the Cutting Words and Leap From The Page based on your feedback. I'll add a note when I can get back to edit the main post.

Thanks again!

Comment

Yes this looks like fun. I really like the modification for leap from the page. However, I think you need to find a way to either limit what the players knows how to summon, or do a randomizer. Otherwise your mage will just keep summoning a dragon for 20 MP and just dominate every battle.

The way I have seen randomizers is you assign 52 monster/creatures to a deck of cards. Then when they cast the spell they draw a card to see what is summoned.
              Check out Titansgrave Podcast
              @titansgravePC

Comment

Originally posted by zblackcat View Post
                Yes this looks like fun. I really like the modification for leap from the page. However, I think you need to find a way to either limit what the players knows how to summon, or do a randomizer. Otherwise your mage will just keep summoning a dragon for 20 MP and just dominate every battle.

The way I have seen randomizers is you assign 52 monster/creatures to a deck of cards. Then when they cast the spell they draw a card to see what is summoned.
                Thanks zblackcat. I think I may take a mix of the feedback I got from you and Brion. I like the idea of having it a bit random as to what they can summon, but I think I'll add in Brion's advice of having the monster be unusable if they are destroyed. Something like a dead card in the deck unless they can buy a new deck or maybe pay the MP cost to restore the card.

Ex. If I got lucky and summoned an ogre from the Jack of Spades, but it ended up dying during an extended battle, I'd have to buy a new magic deck/book etc in game or pay the mana to revive that card. I'm thinking possibly twice the spell cost but it can be done overtime. So five mana stored into a card one day, 10 the next, etc. to build it back up.

On the other hand, if you drew a 2 of Hearts and got something minor like a goblin, you might think the risk of a 1/52 chance of a failed summon isn't worth the risk and a goblin might not be worth the mana to restore.

Comment

Originally posted by Archive78 View Post
                  Thanks zblackcat. I think I may take a mix of the feedback I got from you and Brion. I like the idea of having it a bit random as to what they can summon, but I think I'll add in Brion's advice of having the monster be unusable if they are destroyed. Something like a dead card in the deck unless they can buy a new deck or maybe pay the MP cost to restore the card.

Ex. If I got lucky and summoned an ogre from the Jack of Spades, but it ended up dying during an extended battle, I'd have to buy a new magic deck/book etc in game or pay the mana to revive that card. I'm thinking possibly twice the spell cost but it can be done overtime. So five mana stored into a card one day, 10 the next, etc. to build it back up.

On the other hand, if you drew a 2 of Hearts and got something minor like a goblin, you might think the risk of a 1/52 chance of a failed summon isn't worth the risk and a goblin might not be worth the mana to restore.
                  Defiantly some book keeping, but overall sounds like it would be fun.
                  Check out Titansgrave Podcast
                  @titansgravePC

Comment

Originally posted by zblackcat View Post
                    That's specifically why I said Major or below (basing this off of Awaken Tree, which is an OGRE or Major threat). Keeps things at a reasonable level, but gives you flexibility too. Since you might be able to summon a wolf to help you search for something with enhanced tracking, IE giving it more non-combat abilities.

Comment

Leap From The Page
                      Requirements: Paper Arcana (Master)
                      Spell Type: Utility MP Cost: 15
                      Casting Time: Major Action Target Number: 15
                      You call forth a construct made of paper that awakens within 10 yards of you, giving it senses, awareness, and movement. It will follow your commands as a minor action. (The construct gains a major and minor action.)
                      Only one monster can be summoned at once. The monster takes an extra 1d6 penetrating damage against any fire based weapons/attacks.
                      It is friendly and obedient to you for the duration of the encounter. At the end of the spell, the construct falls apart and recollects into whatever tome or object it was formed from. Dismissing the construct is a minor action.

Draw a card from a full deck of playing card and consult the following table to see what creature is summoned.
                      Suit Ace 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Jack Queen King
                      Spades Wild Spade Knifehound Beastkin Bouda Morlock Troll Gargoyle Rock Djinn Amarok Earth Elemental Golem Mountain Nymph Treeman
                      Hearts Wild Heart Goblin Imp Craterling Walking Dead Living Doll Spectre Ghoul Werebeast Man-O-War Minotaur Basilisk Reaper
                      Diamonds Wild Diamond Merfolk Sea Devil Ooze/Slime Serpent Folk Shark Gatorkin Water Djinn Night Terror Water Elemental Yeti Water Nymph Afanc
                      Clubs Wild Club Giant Spider Bakwanee Mothman Bat Swarm Eagle Griffon Wind Djinn Ahool Air Elemental Divine Warrior Air/Wind Nymph Manticore
                      If the construct should die in battle, their card is considered blank until you purchase a new deck of magical cards or recharge the card with 30MP (this can be done over the course of two days, ex: 15 MP day one and 15 MP on day two. However charging a card requires 1 hour of time to attune it similar to attuning an arcane device.)
                      If the spell is cast successfully and a blank card is drawn, the spell fails and the MP Cost of the spell is lost.
                      If an Ace is drawn, then the mage can choose which creature to summon but only those from the same card suit. (Ex: Draw an Ace of Diamonds, the mage can choose to summon a water elemental or an Afanc.)

The current ratio of threat levels is 20 minor, 20 moderate, 8 major, and 4 wilds.

Comment

For Leap from the Page, You may also want to add a caveat that the spell flails (or risks some other consequence) if the Deck/Book has been tampered with....

The rogue in my group would likely do one of the following as soon as she figured out what was going on...
                        1. Steal the deck, rifle through it, remove the low point cards in every Suite, burn them, and return the deck - the logic... this ensures a card will always be 10 or higher.
                        2. Steal the deck and add an extra card labeled "Giant Bunny" - maybe she'll collaborate with an NPC to attempt to make this a Joker Card and magically functional... and maybe she won't...

Never a Dull night with this group

Comment

I had an idea for a new spell with Shifting Letters;

focus on an enemy that you can see, with magic you create a fullsize ink drawing of your target in a piece of paper, it takes one turn full turn to be complete ( example you cast the spell you wait for your next turn and is ready) , when finished you or an ally can make 2 of any kind of attack ( you can throw a fireball, an arrow, a shield bash,etc) to the picture, the same amount of damage reduced by X is received by your target, after those 2 attacks it breaks. If it gets hit before being done it doesn't inflicts damage but it counts to break the paper.

Comment

Working...
                          X