Starting money and reward money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting money and reward money

So I have asked this a couple of times and gotten very little feedback on it.

First one of the things I liked about Pathfinder was that you had a starting amount of gold that you got (150gp) where there is no such starting amount. Now I will admit that this could just be a each player starts off with a certain weapon of that the class allows.

Thing thing that really gets me is setting up a reward structure per session at different levels. Like how much gold should they get assuming each lvl takes 3 sessions to get through?

Re: Starting money and reward money

In response to your first item, I found this on page 27 of the FAGE rulebook. "Your character also gets some silver pieces with which to buy additional gear. The amount of starting money depends on your character’s social class. See the Starting Money table below to see what you have to spend. You’ll find a complete list of available items in Chapter 4: Equipment."

starting money
    Social Class - Silver Pieces
    Outsider - 15+3d6
    Lower Class - 25+3d6
    Middle Class - 50+3d6
    Upper Class - 100+3d6

As far as reward money goes, I'm fairly new to the trpg scene but personally I feel that's going to vary wildly based on both your players' spending habits as well as what you make available to them. For example, in a campaign I'm running with family there's no reward money at all; any equipment and gear upgrades are from loot or quest acquisition (they much prefer this to shopping). However, I also run a 6-person campaign with coworkers (who really enjoy role-playing the haggling and shopping) and so far we use the basic charts for weapons, armor, and gear from chapter 4 (haven't added any magic items, with the exception of a few "minor" potions here and there, each worth around 50sp). I've been trying to give them enough in reward money (along with the other various small loots) for the group to get a couple of potions and a few small upgrades, whether that's a whole new weapon, or to have a weapon altered/sharpened/amplified, etc. Right now, they're at level 6 and by the time they hit 7, I want them to have earned about 220sp over the course of the level: about 20sp per person plus an additional 100sp for the group to spend on two potions (or they can divvy that up, too, forgoing the potions and getting better upgrades).

Hope that was understandable, and I know it was a little chatty. lol, sorry. Happy hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by amillerguy View Post
      Thing thing that really gets me is setting up a reward structure per session at different levels. Like how much gold should they get assuming each lvl takes 3 sessions to get through?
      Here is what I have found most useful when GM'ing in terms of money. Food and Lodging section (pg 65) is most used. People need to buy those things regularly. Player income should at least be as expensive as this category. Very roughly I would estimate that each character needs to spend 1-2 gold each day. Weapons and armor might are next most useful. I use the tables to figure out how much to charge players when they come across crafting materials and need NPC's to make something cool from them. To keep things rare enough I am using to following conversion table:
      • Common : Base Price as in the book
      • Uncommon : Base x 10
      • Rare : Base x 100
      • Legendary : x 1000

My players killed a sewer crocodile and skinned it. Took the hide to a tanner to make something cool. Enough material for two items (one made from soft belly leather, one made from hardened back leather) for 50G, haggled down to 35g because they had materials. There was also some teeth gathered which were put into a necklace. That NPC bartered with them going as high as 8g for a highly decorated tooth necklace and as low as 2g for teeth on a steel chain.

So in terms of money rewarded you mainly need to cover their costs. Any other rewards should be very story based. I feel most adventures or quests won't directly reward money. At least the large arcs. If you find a way to keep their money low enough, lack of funds may be a decent driver for side quests. Ask once in a while how much money they do have and keep in check that you aren't flooding them with gold or the opposite.

Note: I don't enjoy using both silver and gold. The 10:1 ratio is very unnatural to 100:1 pennies to dollars ratio. I try and round things up to nearest gold as possible.
      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

I did away with starting equipment, and I gave every character starting GP of an average of the three classes' equip costs.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
          I did away with starting equipment, and I gave every character starting GP of an average of the three classes' equip costs.
          What number did you arrive at? I decided to standardize the kit a bit more. No sense in warriors getting three weapons. Everyone gets two weapons. A weapons cost of 25 silver pieces seemed to cover 32/34 items.
          • Backpack, waterskin : 10sp
          • Two weapons : 50 sp
          • Armor allowance : 30 sp
          • Total : 90 sp

Then you probably can put background starting money on top of that. A mages arcane device you still have to give for free.
          [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

I'm using D-AGE, so I don't have arcane devices. I'd have to find it, but iirc, it was like 150 SP (d-age currency value). Background then affected that a little.

Comment

Originally posted by mdlthree View Post
              Here is what I have found most useful when GM'ing in terms of money. Food and Lodging section (pg 65) is most used. People need to buy those things regularly. Player income should at least be as expensive as this category. Very roughly I would estimate that each character needs to spend 1-2 gold each day.
              Would you award them that gold, or just say "You got enough money to cover your expenses for about 2 weeks (tells them how much time they have to rest up and find more revenue) and 10 gp each to go shopping with".

Comment

Originally posted by dcoughler View Post
                Would you award them that gold, or just say "You got enough money to cover your expenses for about 2 weeks (tells them how much time they have to rest up and find more revenue) and 10 gp each to go shopping with".
                I would award them the gold directly. Sometimes room and board is part of the hospitality of the patron NPC of the moment. NPC's know what the cost of living are so they would likely set their quest bounties appropriately. Every penny should be earned (honorably or not). When creating a particular quest you should consider:
                1. How many people (by average NPCs) are actually required to successfully complete the task? A reward should not increase based on how many people are on the job. A delivery may only require 1 person despite 3-4 in the PC party. Slaying local beast of oppression might require many regular NPC's to bring down. This is where our PC's exceptional abilities come in handy.
                2. How many days should the task take? Base gold reward then might be Days * Required People * 1g
                3. Will there be additional costs for equipment or travel that need to be reimbursed? If specialized equipment is needed the NPC needs to supply it or equivalent gold.

Take the base gold and double it so the adventurers can afford some downtime. Then add the extra expenses. Any idea of risk or danger pay is factored into the first point. High risk means you need a ton of regular people to complete. For any task the demands unique abilities you will have to price that out in the third point. If it's impossible, it might be priceless...

Comment

my houserule for starting money is 50 silver+Social Class (15-25-50-100)+3D6 (as recent payment to player.)
                  Every week or so of gametime, the player will receive a bonus equal to social class+3D6. now, if the player get their character some status by doing great things, they can advance in social class and gain a bonus to silver/week.

i have also been working on tweaking the Organization rules from Dragon Age and they will gain a bonus to silver/week based on the tier they are at in that organization.

As for random treasure, i go with:
                  3d6x100 Copper
                  2d6x10 Silver
                  1d6x5 Gold
                  5 Platinum (I Added Platinum for some things to keep with the D&D feel; Certain Magical Items will cost Platinum for example)
                  :Per Player
                  [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
                  [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
                  [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
                  [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
                  [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
                  [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
                  [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
                  [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

Page 117 does have a chart for handing out treasure as a reward. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

Comment

Originally posted by mdlthree View Post
                      Note: I don't enjoy using both silver and gold. The 10:1 ratio is very unnatural to 100:1 pennies to dollars ratio. I try and round things up to nearest gold as possible.
                      100 "copper" pennies to 10 "silver" dimes to 1 "gold" dollar is the most natural thing in the world if you're an American. What's really unnatural is that the silver to gold ratio for most of history has been in the neighborhood of twenty to one, but nearly all game designers since AD&D have assumed that we can't count in anything other than base ten!

It's very campaign-specific, of course, but I treat gold as a rarity. Peasants get by on barter and coppers, the emerging middle class of tradesmen and guilders talk in terms of silver, and only the nobility use gold with any regularity. You can use things like this to flavor your world if you've a mind to. For example, a poor noble might be ashamed to have to pay his taxes (scutage, whatever) in silver and seek an alternative. A wealthy merchant with aspirations to the nobility might use gold whenever he can get his hands on it. A peasant with a gold coin or even a sack of silver might be suspected of theft. That's three adventure ideas right there just from coinage...

Comment

Working...
                      X