Rise of the Raven Queen campaign ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of the Raven Queen campaign ideas

Alright, so i have been working on a new Fantasy Age campaign idea and it involves a 1000 year old prophecy about a dark mage who made the world tremble at her feet. My idea is to incorporate some house-rules found here on the forum and even some of my own ideas.

Here are some basics to know...
    ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGE:
    I like the concept of rolling an extra Die and subtracting the lowest/highest. it adds an heir of suspense to the table.

9 CLASSES:
    There are going to be 9 base classes that still follow the Mage/Rogue/Warrior Concept. the Classes will actually be Archetypes of those respective classes.
    Mage: Sorcerer and Healer
    Rouge: Thief and Ranger
    Warrior: Fighter and Barbarian

The last 3 are Cross-Classes that have aspects of 2 base classes.
    Bard (Mage/Rogue)
    Swashbuckler (Rogue/Warrior)
    Paladin (Warrior/Mage)

EVERYONE GETS MANA
    As opposed to only Mages having Mana, every class will have varying degrees of Mana. Mana is a force of life that surrounds and dwells within all things. Mana will be used to access certain Class Powers as well as Spells for those talented enough (Mages). Warriors will have less Mana than Mages but they make up for a lesser pool with combat prowess off the bat.

WEAPON/ARMOR MATERIALS
    Now, i have implemented a small-scale system for having raw material effects on Weapons/Armor/Shields. Each new material may degrees or increase certain attributes of the object in question.
    CLOTH: Cloth materials are only for Clothing.
    Rags: the most basic and does not protect at all
    Cotton: Standard Clothing material with no change
    Inscribed Cotton: embedded with some minor magics that add protection
    Silk: fine and strong, the most expensive material
    LEATHERS: For Light Armors
    Rough Hide: made with simple techniques and is not very good quality
    Leather: The most basic of leather-work that does not add anything to the base
    Hardened Leather: Leather in 2-3 layers that slows you down a bit but adds more protection
    Drakeskin: Made from Drake Hide, light and hard
    METALS: used for Medium and Heavy Armors and certain weapons and Shields
    Crude Iron: Made from highly impure Iron, it is light but also not very good quality
    Iron: The most basic of metalworking
    Steel: Good Quality metalworking that is a bit heavier
    Obsidian: Not really a metal but this stone acts like metal when worked and is light and strong
    WOOD: used for ranged weapons and Shields
    Elm: The most basic wood that is light but not too strong
    Yew: The most common wood that grows fast and in any environment
    Redwood: Hard wood that is hard to come by but dense and strong
    Faebark: Only found in the Faewylds, it is very strong and light and even has magical properties

WEAPON QUALITIES Some Weapons have unique properties that define their uniqueness
    PIERCING: those with Piercing ignore 2 points of AR
    BASHING: those with Bashing ignore half of the opponents Shield Bonus (Rounded Down)
    REACH: those with Reach treat opponents 2 yards away as adjacent (normally not allowed)
    TRIP: those with Trip can use the Knock Prone Stunt for free if they take a -2 on their attack roll
    ACCURATE: those with Accurate always gain a +1 bonus to attack
    FINESSE: those with Finesse have the option of exchanging Dexterity for Strength on damage
    VERSATILE: those with Versatile can be used one- or two-handed. When used as a two-handed weapon, the damage is increased by +2
    LIGHT: light weapons are designed for single or dual use. You can gain either a +1 bonus to attack or defense for each turn you wield them. A Light weapon cannot have the Accurate or Defensive Qualities due to essentially being both
    HEAVY: a weapon with Heavy always takes a -1 attack penalty due its size and bulk, but you do gain a +1 bonus on all damage rolls when you hit
    DEFENSIVE: a Defensive weapon will always grant a +1 bonus to defense when being wielded

NOTICE Notice is a simple mechanic that the GM will roll against to see if you notice something without actively looking for it. it is 10+Perception with applicable Focus. if the GM beats the number, you don't notice it but if they fail, you do. it is basically a TN the GM has to roll against.

This is just a preliminary and so things will be added later on based on feedback from my group. thanks for listening. if you have any ideas of your own or would like to comment, please feel free to do so below. thanks again.
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
    [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Re: Rise of the Raven Queen campaign ideas

Since most of your ideas feel fine to me, I'd just list below some changes I'd like to make if I were brewing from your "game system".

==============WEAPON QUALITIES==============

PIERCING: A weapon with the piercing quality ignores an amount of the target's AR equal to the number indicated by this quality. For example, a weapon with Piercing 2 ignores 2 AR.
    Notes: This allows you to designate weapons that are more piercing than others.

REACH: Only melee weapons can have the reach quality. A weapon with the reach quality allows the user to make melee attacks against a target from up to 4 yards away.
    Notes: This for me makes the rules of Reach more friendly with Opportunity Attacks, should you decide to use OAs. Essentially, you cannot make OAs against creatures beyond your normal reach - a long weapon is difficult to use for OAs from afar, at least it is without the right talents.

MASTERWORK: A masterwork weapon is made with the utmost skill. Attacks using such weapons have a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
    Notes: I changed "Accurate" to "Masterwork" because the former is way too common a term.

FINESSE: Only melee weapons can have the finesse quality. When attacking with a finesse weapon, you can use your Dexterity instead of your Strength for the damage roll.

LIGHT: Only one-handed weapons can have the light quality. You do not suffer the normal penalties for dual-weapon fighting while wielding a light weapon in one of your hands.
    Notes: This quality assumes that there is a general rule for two-weapon fighting, as I believe there should be. I generally impose penalties for dual-wielding non-light weapons. This also allows for a light, defensive, masterwork weapon.

HEAVY: A weapon with the heavy quality can only be used two-handed. Attacks that use such weapons have a -1 penalty on attack rolls, and a +1 bonus to damage rolls.

==========================================

I'm still opposed to rolling for passive skill tests, as it is a dead giveaway that there is something there that the PCs are meant to find. But that's not a real deal-breaker for me.

Comment

This is good stuff. I see some of the ideas debated on these forums represented
      Originally posted by VladGenX View Post
      EVERYONE GETS MANA
      As opposed to only Mages having Mana, every class will have varying degrees of Mana. Mana is a force of life that surrounds and dwells within all things. Mana will be used to access certain Class Powers as well as Spells for those talented enough (Mages). Warriors will have less Mana than Mages but they make up for a lesser pool with combat prowess off the bat.
      This is cool. I have had a similar idea in my head except that stunt points are the mana. The difference between a mage and a warrior would be that a mage has the ability to passively create and store stunt points out of combat. SP generated during combat could be used or stored into the mana pool. A warrior on the other hand might be able to generate more stunt points during combat. Something like all rolls generate SP, even failed ones. SP are stored during combat but are lost out of combat. Some balancing required. Rogue class could follow either full warrior SP rules or maybe find a middle ground where they have a very limited (5 ro 6 SP) mana pool (lethal blow from the shadows :P)

I also really like your weapon materials and qualities list. This gives a good framework to give a story around weapons of different qualities. First tier gives +0, Fourth tier gives +3 whatever for example. Also a way of building weapons out of pieces. Not an arbitrary +3 for rapiers and why not daggers.
      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Weapon qualities could use a tweak. "Piercing" weapons aren't good against armor, unless it's mail. "Bashing" weapons were easier to deflect, but their kinetic energy was more effective against armor (so bashing would add to piercing damage).

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
          Weapon qualities could use a tweak. "Piercing" weapons aren't good against armor, unless it's mail. "Bashing" weapons were easier to deflect, but their kinetic energy was more effective against armor (so bashing would add to piercing damage).
          That is if you equate "quality" with "damage type". I can understand how the quality names can be misleading. I try to read the effect and separate that from the name.

I think the intention was for Piercing to really be about getting past armor, and not about being a pointy, thrusting weapon like a rapier. As a quality, I should be able to slap Piercing on any weapon to make it armor-piercing, e.g. a Maul with Piercing 3.

If it'd make it clearer, here are some suggested name changes:
          Piercing --> Armor-Piercing
          Bashing --> Shield-Breaching
          ^_^

Comment

If you read the effect without the name, why have the name?

Seriously though, IMO, if you're going to have a quality name and description, they should match, whether it be a description of the weapon type or an attempt to get the desired effect.

Comment

ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGE:
              Oh what a marvelous, interesting idea. Certainly smart and handsome people use that one!

WEAPON QUALITIES
              Now seriously, here is how I do weapon qualities. Maybe you can mine for ideas to add to your own:

Large: Small people can't use it. Two handed knightly weapons, heavy polearms and longbows have that.
              Versatile: +1 damage with two hands.
              Reach: Since we don't use a grid and prefer descriptive battleground, our Reach property must have something else bedises "attack up to this distance". In our games when you attack with a reach weapon your opponent can't counterattack (or similar) without a reach weapon.
              Light: Minimum STR for offhand is the same as for main hand (normal: minimum str for offhand is +2).
              Subtle: Made to, or very good to, be hidden and gives a bonus to do so.
              Last edited by DiBastet; 25th April 2016, 09:54 AM.
              DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
              AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
              AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Working...
              X