Roleplay stunts in combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roleplay stunts in combat

More or less as the title says: How would you implement Communication rolls and stunts in combat? I'd like to create a character who use only his deception, charm and wits in battle. I imagine him as a occult savy charlatan Warlock/Preacher, who use his Communication to fake magic effects, most like Lord Blackwood from the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie.

''I curse you under the Sign of Ill Omen, and with the Unspeakable Elder Things as my witnesses, you shant to move a limb until I say so or so help me Gods, you are bound to the deepest part of Hell! Arsk'sharok shul'yastog!'' all while burning worthless herbs and whatnot.

Re: Roleplay stunts in combat

I allow any stunt at any time, as long as it makes sense. I also allow Intimidate checks as a minor action to influence morale - effects are dependent on the situation: degree of success and the ebb and flow of combat.

Comment

Would you be kind enough to give me some examples of ''speech attacks'' and stunt uses in combat that you would permit in your game? My own Dm would be less suspicious if some ideas came from other experienced players rather than me.

Comment

Well, maybe you could take a hint from the attacks of the Bard class in D&D 4e. They cause psychic damage in that system, the roleplay being that the bard taunts, demoralizes and sour the enemies' will to fight. There could be a feat that did something similar to the mage's arcane blast but where you did something like this that causes similar damage.

There's something similar in savage worlds, where you can stun an opponent, but not cause damage, with taunts and challenges. So maybe that talent allowed you to cause 1d6+Communication, but wouldn't be able to take the opponent below 1 health.
        DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
        AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
        AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

I don't think damage is the way to go. I would think debuffs would be more appropriate.

Comment

Here are some examples I've actually ran on the fly:
            • Bob the Rogue uses 2 SP from his Communication test to goad the enemy into attacking him. The enemy attacks him, moving away from Ella the Mage, and also provoking an opportunity attack from her (because I use OA's).
            • Ella the Mage uses 4 SP from her Communication test to distract the enemy. Until Ella's next turn, the next attack made by another character against the distracted enemy has advantage.
            • Brock the Warrior uses a stunning 6 SP from his Intimidation test to scare his foe. That foe skips his next turn.

These effects I just threw out based on my gut feeling and the amount of SP that they generated. I have no intention of codifying them as hard rules that I'd apply each time. I'll most likely be arbitrary again the next time it'll matter - they're just that rare of an occurrence. ^_^

Comment

Working...
            X