AGE without classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGE without classes

Hello guys, this is my first post here so sorry if I'm doing anything wrong.

I'll be starting my very first f/age campaign this weekend. The problem is I don't want my players to choose classes. That's because I want them to be free to create their characters as they wish.

Are there any fan made stuff around that I could use?

What advice would you people give me if I have to tinker with the system myself?

What are the possible problems that I could have it I exclude the class system from my game?

Also, where can I find a good list of fan made classes? If I end up giving up on the classes ban, I would like to have a good number of reliable classes.

Re: AGE without classes

I shall refer you to this thread where fellow forum-goer DracoDruid keeps updated his classless FAGE rules. Enjoy!

HOUSERULES-Free-Form-Fantasy-AGE
    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Yeah, you could use Draco Druid's classless system. But you don't need a variety of classes. Specializations really fill in a lot of your niche roles.

Comment

Originally posted by mdlthree View Post
        I shall refer you to this thread where fellow forum-goer DracoDruid keeps updated his classless FAGE rules. Enjoy!

HOUSERULES-Free-Form-Fantasy-AGE
        Hmm. I've been thinking about a classless variant too, but the advancement point system seems a bit open to abuse. That's not a huge problem If everyone is min/maxing or no one is, but in my experience it's usually a mix, which is a problem.

Also, it's not clear which of those houserules are necessary to make the classless system work and which are just other houserules that DracoDruid uses.

What I'm thinking of (and will develop if I can find the time... eventually) is a generic class, which would preserve the level progression and leave the race & background rules untouched. Ideally the classes as written would be able to be built out of it, but as long as they could be reasonably approximated I'd call it good enough.

Comment

It's a bit of a mix actually. That's why I suggested him to create the "Essentials" version. So "Free-form" is the classless and his houserules; "Free form Essentials" is just the classless system. You have to look in his sig to find it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Essentials.pdf

I also suggested to DracoDruid adding a progression version because while his classless rules really help, not everyone wants a point-buy method. As for myself I also don't use the point buy part, and so that's how I do:

Level 1: 3 talents. 4 picks among weapon groups or armor types. Must be proficient in lighter armor types first (so if you want heavy you must also choose light and medium).

Even level: Talent and primary focus. At 4-6-8-12-14-16 levels this talent is a specialization talent.
          Odd level: Talent and secondary focus.

Ability advancement works as per the basic rules.

That's it. Works perfectly fine.

Now, for everything else homebrew, AGE is pretty easy to brew. In my sig I have a topic with what interesting, complete homebrew I could find.

And when you brew your own, don't forget that "balance" is arbitrary; the only balance you should care is that all player options are equal; that there is no default and no trap options, whatever kind of game you play from hack-and-slash-name-is-optional to courtly-intrigue-what-is-combat. With that in mind you'll find AGE reeeeeally easy to brew.
          Last edited by DiBastet; 8th April 2016, 07:59 AM.
          DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
          AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
          AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Hi there!

As the others already pointed out, in my signature is the link to Free-Form Essentials, just the core rules without the other house-rules.

As for min-maxing:

I don't believe that it is such a big deal or "risk".
            - For once, abilities get expensive once you reach 5, so "min-maxers" will probably branch out once they reached 5 in their core stats.
            - Second, as several board members already analysed in depth, even vanilla FAGE hits certain max-caps as early as 2nd level (e.g. to-hit stats, ability 5 + weapon focus at 2nd level is quite possible).
            - Third, as rules light as FAGE is, I don't really believe there IS some game-breaking combination a "min-maxer" can achieve (but I may stand corrected)
            - And last but not least, if some of your players like to crunch numbers and tinker with the possibilities, why not let them? As long as they have fun and don't ruin it for the others.

That being said:

To all of you a nice weekend and happy gaming!
            Last edited by DracoDruid; 8th April 2016, 11:59 PM.
            Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Originally posted by DiBastet View Post
              And when you brew your own, don't forget that "balance" is arbitrary; the only balance you should care is that all player options are equal; that there is no default and no trap options, whatever kind of game you play from hack-and-slash-name-is-optional to courtly-intrigue-what-is-combat. With that in mind you'll find AGE reeeeeally easy to brew.
              Yeah, that's really the only balance there is, but it is important. Every character option should be equal in chance to shine. It can also be difficult based on table style - I use an equal mix of combat, RP, and exploration encounters; so abilities that see equal play at my table would be more balanced for my style than a predominantly combat or social one.

Comment

Originally posted by DiBastet View Post
                It's a bit of a mix actually. That's why I suggested him to create the "Essentials" version. So "Free-form" is the classless and his houserules; "Free form Essentials" is just the classless system. You have to look in his sig to find it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Essentials.pdf

I also suggested to DracoDruid adding a progression version because while his classless rules really help, not everyone wants a point-buy method. As for myself I also don't use the point buy part, and so that's how I do:

Level 1: 3 talents. 4 picks among weapon groups or armor types. Must be proficient in lighter armor types first (so if you want heavy you must also choose light and medium).

Even level: Talent and primary focus. At 4-6-8-12-14-16 levels this talent is a specialization talent.
                Odd level: Talent and secondary focus.

Ability advancement works as per the basic rules.

That's it. Works perfectly fine.

Now, for everything else homebrew, AGE is pretty easy to brew. In my sig I have a topic with what interesting, complete homebrew I could find.

Thanks for posting your "universal" class. Might use it for my steampunk/fantasy homebrew.

From your link list I downloaded the Conan and Eberron AGE versions. The former one I especially like.

Comment

Originally posted by rulandor View Post
                  Conan
                  Oh yeah, that one deserves an update! The freeform magic system is great; I based my setting's own magic system on it.
                  DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
                  AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
                  AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Working...
                  X