Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New encounter PDF series

Link here: http://greenronin.com/blog/2016/04/0...s-crusade-pdf/

I haven't picked it up yet, but I'd love to see a series based on set piece encounters. Personally, I'm fine with plot and ideas, but if writers' block hits me, it's while designing unique encounters.

Re: New encounter PDF series

Cool. if this is going to b monthly they need to set up a subscription plan.

Comment

I picked this one up because it looked like a cool side piece for something my PCs are already in the middle of, but I'm kinda disappointed/
      What I wish they'd done was add a new enemy type instead of a re-print from the book. It would have been nice to have something really new or a boss level encounter to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Brion View Post
        I picked this one up because it looked like a cool side piece for something my PCs are already in the middle of, but I'm kinda disappointed/
        What I wish they'd done was add a new enemy type instead of a re-print from the book. It would have been nice to have something really new or a boss level encounter to work with.
        I grabbed it last night. I was also surprised at the small amount of content it contained. What it contained was decent and interesting as a GM trying to understand how a paid professional can come up with, but not for $3.

For comparison lets us the only other published FAGE book, Titansgrave. Coming in at 97 pages and $14 if feels like it has appropriate value. 75 of those pages are directly related to a playable chapter, so a prorated price of adventure sessions puts it at about $10.81. Each chapter ranges between 4 and 13 pages long with an average of 8.33 pages. $10.81 / 8.33 equals $1.29 per chapter. I have also purchased the AGE of Explorations Gift of the Gods book, which was $1.99 for 9 pages and in the ball park of the previous calculations. Perhaps though Titansgrave is actually priced too low given that its development costs could be paid for through whatever deal with the youtube series. Using the crusade price as a benchmark, Titansgrave becomes $56.

Therefore this "Childrens of the Crusade" at 4 pages should be $0.65. That price is likely missing a flat distribution cost (website store, credit card fees) which could boost the price easily to the $1.99 of the explorations content.

Anyway, in short I think the price of this PDF is too high and that is likely the source of disappointment. We were expecting 2-3 "chapters" worth of adventure. From the character intro at the pegasus roadhouse to the conclusion of the hellion alpha encounter for example.
        [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Originally posted by Brion View Post
          The next one might be more what you're looking for. It includes a unique monster.

Each one of these will include various elements. The first one was, intentionally, very introductory and "this might be how you start a campaign or arc."

Comment

While I agree that the encounter could have been fleshed out a little better (it would habe been especially helpful to get some of the fists of Aminar as NPCs, not just statted out ...), I actually really liked it, and it was inspiring enough for me to sit down and jot down the missing pieces right away.
            I started playing it last thursday as a one-shot at our bookshop's gaming night, however, I didn't nearly get through it - the problem being, however, that I had seven players (I had planned for about 4-5), non of them familiar with the system, and that I myself discovered a few problems I have with the system ... but that is more general stuff.
            I especially liked the characterisations of the children - none of them was too cute, all of them had their issues, some quite disturbing, still it made sense that the characters should feel that they deserve protection. Good stuff.

One thing bugged me, hoever: Why ist it called "Children's Crusade"? The Children's Crusades were a real thing, and this adventure has nothing to do with them thematically. I was expecting that the adventure would be about the saved children being on some kind of problematic religious mission ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
              The next one might be more what you're looking for. It includes a unique monster.

Each one of these will include various elements. The first one was, intentionally, very introductory and "this might be how you start a campaign or arc."
              And there's still gonna be the AGE v1.0 conversion of these, right Jack?

Comment

Ideally yes. Just got a lot of things in development right now. But I would like to convert numerous things. Or do a conversion guide. Something convert-y.

Comment

What is AGE v1.0? Is that dragon age?

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                  Ideally yes. Just got a lot of things in development right now. But I would like to convert numerous things. Or do a conversion guide. Something convert-y.
                  I am sure you could crowd source this kind of thing to forum go-ers. What is a "convert-y" thing? Is that simple webpage with javascript that converts the input character from one format to another format?
                  [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Working...
                  X