X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shonuff
    replied
    Re: Divine Blessings idea for input

I'd combine Exploration and Voice, and just have Combat, Noncombat, and Magic. Both exploration and role-playing tests are infrequent and often non-stuntable.

Leave a comment:

• VladGenX
    replied

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
    So I'd keep non-combat blessings as abilities rather than bonuses. Rather than a +2 investigation, I'd say water-breathing, invisibility, shape changing, etc., to augment their investigation rather than just a flat bonus.
    And so they should be added as well, but i'm trying not to make a too-long list.

I have added these:
    Water-Breathing: you can breathe underwater for a number of minutes equal to 10xConstitution. If you are still underwater any longer than that, then you must make an increasing TN starting at 9 vs your CON (Stamina) Test. If you fail the Test, you will start taking 1D6 Penetrating damage every 15 seconds until you reach the surface or drown.
    Combat Prowess: For one day, you will gain a +1 stunt bonus when generating Combat Stunts
    Exploration: for one day, you will gain a +1 stunt bonus when generating Exploration Stunts
    Magic: For one day, you will gain a +1 stunt bonus when generating Magic Stunts
    Voice: For one day, you will gain a +1 stunt bonus when generating Role-playing Stunts

Leave a comment:

• VladGenX
    replied

Originally posted by Gerben View Post
    Here are some general / non-combat options:
    Durations are just suggestions of cours.e

Luck You have been blessed by the goddess of luck! - For the next day you may reroll up to 3 failed tests.
    Convincing - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(persuasion) and Communication(bargaining) tests.
    Charm - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(seduction) tests.
    Guise - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(disguise) and Communication(deception) tests.
    Consideration - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(investigation) and Perception(Emapthy) tests.
    Alertness - For the next hour you get +2 on all Perception(seeing), Perception(touching) and Perception(hearing) tests.
    Luck and Alertness are good, but i have an idea for combining all the others. It is called...
    Blessing of Communication: Choose 2 Communication focuses. you are considered to have them if you do not and if you do have them you gain an additional +1 bonus to those rolls for one entire day.

This way, players can mix and match their bonuses each day for new combinations

Leave a comment:

• shonuff
    replied

I don't think those non-combat options will work. Most attribute buffs have a soft cap with expected/realistic TNs, and your face characters will have a high COM score anyway, so there'd be little reason to buff those scores. This would help your non-faces, but they're less likely to do investigations and persuasions anyway.

So I'd keep non-combat blessings as abilities rather than bonuses. Rather than a +2 investigation, I'd say water-breathing, invisibility, shape changing, etc., to augment their investigation rather than just a flat bonus.

Leave a comment:

• DiBastet
    replied

Originally posted by TheGreyWulf
    Stuff
    Ugh. From tv tropes "Blue Rose aims to emulate the genre of fiction the game's writers describe as "romantic fantasy" — that is, Feminist Fantasy of the sort published by authors like Mercedes Lackey, Tamora Pierce and Diane Duane." In one of the interviews one of the guys from the blue rose team said he was shocked that people simply can't accept a setting with objective good morality, that isn't filled to the brim with cynism, where violence isn't the basic solution to all the game "encounters", and where,gasp, white and grey morality is possible.

So to reply you, a typical encounter in romantic fantasy probably would be the characters working for faction A to achieve a certain objective meeting another group of people working for faction B that also wants the same objective. Those people are people, they have families, and are probably nice people, they just are working for the other team that isn't evil. You don't just kill them. You probably negotiate, make a show of force, maybe take them as honored hostages and swear they will be treated fairly. That, a "social combat" with high stakes is probably the "typical" romantic fantasy encounter.

Originally posted by Gerben
    Noncombat options
    I like those. I imagined two factions deciding to make a peace summit on the place where an ancient shrine to the god of peace still stands, some kind of standing stone or something. The +2 to peace talks would surely help!

Edit: Also maybe people could carry pieces of enchanted stone from those shrines? Or maybe relics as the bones of a saint. Activating it discharges the magic, rendering it mundane forever. Just an idea.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 26th March 2016, 10:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gerben
    replied

Here are some general / non-combat options:
    Durations are just suggestions of cours.e

Luck You have been blessed by the goddess of luck! - For the next day you may reroll up to 3 failed tests.
    Convincing - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(persuasion) and Communication(bargaining) tests.
    Charm - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(seduction) tests.
    Guise - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(disguise) and Communication(deception) tests.
    Consideration - For the next hour you get +2 on all Communication(investigation) and Perception(Emapthy) tests.
    Alertness - For the next hour you get +2 on all Perception(seeing), Perception(touching) and Perception(hearing) tests.

It might be fun to also make counterparts... one can be blessed.. but perhaps also cursed?
    Bad Luck The Will Wheaton curse! - During the day you may need to reroll some succesful tests (Max of 3, GM Choice).
    Oblivious - For the next hour you get -2 on all Communication(investigation) and Perception(Emapthy).

Leave a comment:

• TheGreyWulf
    replied

How would special abilities in a typical romantic fantasy RPG go? Something like...

Blessing of Three: For one romantic encounter, you have advantage on all Communication tests on two target creatures.

Blessing of Priapus: You use this ability at the start of a romantic encounter. At the end of the romantic encounter, all of your partner creatures have a -2 penalty to Speed and to Dexterity tests for one day.

Heeheehee ^_^

Leave a comment:

• VladGenX
    replied

Originally posted by DiBastet View Post
    My gripe, of course, is that there are two noncombat options among a total of 15. I don't like when combat has tons of rules and options and everything that isn't combat doesn't. That may be a starting point, but I wouldn't use it because my games aren't combat heavy, and actually if you intend to use it for a typical romantic fantasy game then you probabloy won't have that much combat as well.
    and this is true and as i said before, it is far from done. this is just prototype stage. if you have any ideas, then let me know.

Leave a comment:

• DiBastet
    replied

My gripe, of course, is that there are two noncombat options among a total of 15. I don't like when combat has tons of rules and options and everything that isn't combat doesn't. That may be a starting point, but I wouldn't use it because my games aren't combat heavy, and actually if you intend to use it for a typical romantic fantasy game then you probabloy won't have that much combat as well.

Leave a comment:

• VladGenX
    replied

Originally posted by MacynSnow View Post
    That ain't a half-bad set-up Vlad!Mind if I borrow some of it for my AGE games?
    not at all. that is one reason i posted them. go right ahead, and hey if you happen to create more, let me know. have fun

Leave a comment:

• MacynSnow
    replied

Originally posted by VladGenX View Post
    Divine Blessings are benefits that one can gain through prayer or the touching of a divine shrine. All characters may use Divine Blessings based on how the player wishes to play his/her character. If a character is an Atheist, then they do not have to go with this option.

SPEED: for one encounter, you gain an additional Minor Action per turn
    WARRIOR: for one encounter, you gain an additional Major Action per turn
    SHADOW: for one use only, you may choose to automatically succeed a DEX (Stealth) test
    MAGIC: after casting a spell, you may regain the spent Magic Points, even if you failed the casting roll
    SKILL: for one use only, you gain a +2 bonus on any Ability Test of choice
    STRENGTH: for one encounter, you deal an extra +2 in damage on melee attacks
    SHARP EYE: for one encounter, you deal an extra +2 in damage on ranged attacks
    APTITUDE: for one encounter, you gain an additional +1 bonus to Defense
    PROTECTION: for one encounter, you gain an additional +1 Armor Rating with no addition to penalty or casting strain
    HEALTH: for one encounter, you have 5 additional Health Points. Once these are gone, they will NOT be regained through healing or potions
    RESERVE: for one encounter, you have 5 additional Magic Points. Once these are gone, they will NOT be regained through potions or rest
    MAGIC RESISTANCE: for one encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to all rolls to resist spells (to minimize the effect). If your Stunt die is a 6, the spell is completely ineffective against you (So the caster is considered to have failed the spell)
    UNDERSTANDING: For one entire day, you gain a LORE focus of choice. If you choose one you already have, you increase the bonus by +1 and if you choose one you don’t have, you are considered to have it
    ENCHANTMENT: for an entire day, you deal an additional +2 damage on any attack with one of the following elements:
    • Fire
    • Ice
    • Lightning
    • Spirit*
    • Rock
    • Physical
    • Poison*
    • Holy**
    • Chaos***
    *Spirit and Poison are always Armor Penetrating
    **Holy is only penetrating to any Unholy or undead creature
    ***Chaos is only penetrating to any Holy creature
    WOUND CLOSURE: you can heal any ally (including yourself) for 1D6+Willpower (Faith) in health. You may only use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Willpower (Faith). Yes, the focus will grant a bonus to the number of times per day.

This is only a test page. please comment and leave feedback and new ideas. thanks
    That ain't a half-bad set-up Vlad!Mind if I borrow some of it for my AGE games?

Leave a comment:

• VladGenX
    replied

Divine Blessings are benefits that one can gain through prayer or the touching of a divine shrine. All characters may use Divine Blessings based on how the player wishes to play his/her character. If a character is an Atheist, then they do not have to go with this option.

SPEED: for one encounter, you gain an additional Minor Action per turn
    WARRIOR: for one encounter, you gain an additional Major Action per turn
    SHADOW: for one use only, you may choose to automatically succeed a DEX (Stealth) test
    MAGIC: after casting a spell, you may regain the spent Magic Points, even if you failed the casting roll
    SKILL: for one use only, you gain a +2 bonus on any Ability Test of choice
    STRENGTH: for one encounter, you deal an extra +2 in damage on melee attacks
    SHARP EYE: for one encounter, you deal an extra +2 in damage on ranged attacks
    APTITUDE: for one encounter, you gain an additional +1 bonus to Defense
    PROTECTION: for one encounter, you gain an additional +1 Armor Rating with no addition to penalty or casting strain
    HEALTH: for one encounter, you have 5 additional Health Points. Once these are gone, they will NOT be regained through healing or potions
    RESERVE: for one encounter, you have 5 additional Magic Points. Once these are gone, they will NOT be regained through potions or rest
    MAGIC RESISTANCE: for one encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to all rolls to resist spells (to minimize the effect). If your Stunt die is a 6, the spell is completely ineffective against you (So the caster is considered to have failed the spell)
    UNDERSTANDING: For one entire day, you gain a LORE focus of choice. If you choose one you already have, you increase the bonus by +1 and if you choose one you don’t have, you are considered to have it
    ENCHANTMENT: for an entire day, you deal an additional +2 damage on any attack with one of the following elements:
    • Fire
    • Ice
    • Lightning
    • Spirit*
    • Rock
    • Physical
    • Poison*
    • Holy**
    • Chaos***
    *Spirit and Poison are always Armor Penetrating
    **Holy is only penetrating to any Unholy or undead creature
    ***Chaos is only penetrating to any Holy creature
    WOUND CLOSURE: you can heal any ally (including yourself) for 1D6+Willpower (Faith) in health. You may only use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Willpower (Faith). Yes, the focus will grant a bonus to the number of times per day.

This is only a test page. please comment and leave feedback and new ideas. thanks

Leave a comment:

• VladGenX
    replied

Well all of these ideas are good ideas. thank you all so much.

keeping it generic is one thing, but this is for a romantic setting (My sister-in-law is running through Blue Rose and i wanted to try some of the concepts in that game for myself). Faith and prayer are normal in this game and not really all that rare. I want something fully accessible to all players and easy to use.

I am not fully done with the list but once i am, i will post it. please wait one more day or two. thank you all so much for the input, really great ideas i can use.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreyWulf
    replied

Originally posted by DiBastet View Post
    Edit: I've been using "reroll lowest dice" as the mechanical effects of simple blessings in my setting and it works very well.
    This is actually how I implement Advantage - well, in essence. I roll 1 Stunt d6 and 3 normal d6, drop the lowest normal d6. If Disadvantage, drop the highest normal d6. Got the idea here in the forums. ^_^

Leave a comment:

• DiBastet
    replied

Since they are one use, and I suppose you can't have multiple blessings at the same time (not that it wouldn't be awesome to be blessed by multiple gods at the same time, mind you), then you could also add everything that usually works as a potion, from hp and mp regeneration to elemental resistance, to turn into a bird or to underwater breathing or walk in water. You could also not add potions to the setting (at least "traditional" potions) and keep this kind of effect only as blessings if you want them to be more common in the game world.

Edit: I've been using "reroll lowest dice" as the mechanical effects of simple blessings in my setting and it works very well. Blessing of the Pretty Lady allowing you to reroll on peaceful social tests, blessing of the Knight rerolling one attack with knightly weapons, etc.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 24th March 2016, 06:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X