Other "Gifts"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other "Gifts"

I'm thinking about creating two more "Gifts" in the same vein as described in the "Gift of the Gods" pdf. The first being Nature's Gift (for the creation of Druids, and Rangers) and the second being the "Psionic Gift" (for the creation of Bards, Psionicists, and possibly Monks). Nature's Gift would be based off of Favored Terrain, but I have so little experience with psionics that I really don't know where to start with them. Any thoughts, or ideas, about this would be appreciated as I try to solidify these concepts into some sort of cohesive framework.

Re: Other "Gifts"

Psychic Gift

When you choose this Talent you must also choose from one the Disciplines listed below. A Discipline can be activated by concentrating on it using the Activate action. Once activated you gain a small benefit, specific to the Discipline, until you stop concentrating on it. You can only have one Discipline active at a time.

Disciplines
    Celerity - Move and act with unmatched speed.
    Concentration Benefit: While concentrating on this discipline, your speed increases by 2 yards and gain a +1 on Dexterity (Initiative) Tests.

Iron Durability - Boost your defenses.
    Concentration Benefit: While concentrating on this discipline, you gain a +1 bonus to AR. Once per encounter, as a Major Action, you can make a Willpower (Self-Discipline) Test (TN 13). If you succeed you can regain Health equal to the Stunt Die plus your Constitution.

Psionic Weapon - Channel psionic energy into a weapon.
    Concentration Benefit: While concentrating on this discipline, you charge one weapon you carry with psychic energy (including your unarmed attacks). When charged, you can choose gain either a +1 to attack, or a +1 to damage.

Conquering Mind - Alter another creature’s mind.
    Concentration Benefit: While concentrating on this discipline you gain a +1 to all Communication Tests.

Intellect Fortress - Defend yourself with psychic counterattacks.
    Concentration Benefit: While concentrating on this discipline you gain a +1 to your Defense against any ranged attack or a melee attack made against you if you can see your attacker. If the attack hits you, the attacker takes psychic damage equal, that is penetrating, equal half to your Willpower (Self-Discipline).

Third Eye - Perceive what others cannot.
    Concentration Benefit: While concentrating on this discipline you gain a +1 to all Perception Tests.

I pretty much pulled these from the D&D 5th Unearthed Arcana Awakened Mystic v2 and altered them to fit Fantasy Age. I'm taking this one step at a time, so before I go into the powers associated with each Discipline, I want to make sure that this first part is up to standard. So what do you guys think? Is this a good base for a "Psychic Gift"?

EDIT: Changed the Third Eye Concentration Benefit from Willpower to Perception.
    Last edited by Hagintora; 21st March 2016, 03:54 AM.

Comment

To clarify: Concentration in D&D5E is a specific mechanism. You might want to elaborate on how you're implementing that before others think on these some more.

For others who aren't aware, here is a quick summary of D&D5E Concentration rules:
      • You can concentrate on only one thing at a time.
      • Maintaining concentration takes no action. Once you've begun concentrating on something, it's just maintained until you stop concentrating, or your concentration is broken.
      • While concentrating, you can take other non-concentration actions normally. For example, while concentrating on Spell A, you can cast Spell B without breaking your concentration.
      • If you perform an action that requires concentration, your concentration switches to that action. For example, while concentrating on Spell A, you cast Spell C, which also requires concentration. You lose concentration on Spell A (which dispels it), and you begin concentrating on Spell C.
      • Being hit by an attack threatens your concentration. You must make a Constitution saving throw with a Difficulty Class (D&D's TN) equal to 10 or half the amount of damage taken (whichever is higher), or your concentration is broken.
      • Some activities can threaten concentration, as determined by the DM. Typical examples that I use are being aboard a boat in stormy weather, walking through a blizzard, and the like.

If the Concentration rules are maintained, then these Gifts should work just fine. Even if the PC has multiple Gifts available, they can only have one active at a time. There is also the interesting twist that even if they have an army of spells through multiple Gifts, they can only access those spells under the active Gift, so some planning and thinking is required.

Comment

WOW!

THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention!

I totally missed this really nice piece of supplementation and bought it immediately.

Again: Thank you!

P.S: I will delve into it and come 'round again afterwards.
        Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
          To clarify: Concentration in D&D5E is a specific mechanism. You might want to elaborate on how you're implementing that before others think on these some more.
          You're right of course. I didn't even think about outlining the Concentration Rules. Thank you for pointing that out, and for posting what they are. These will definitely be the rules used for the Psychic Gift, with the exception of the Constitution save. That will be changed to a Willpower (Self-Discipline) Test as it makes more sense, thematically. I'm leaning towards 7 + half damage taken for the TN.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
            WOW!

THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention!

I totally missed this really nice piece of supplementation and bought it immediately.

Again: Thank you!

P.S: I will delve into it and come 'round again afterwards.
            You're welcome! I really like the direction they went with making Psionics functionally different than magic. I look forward to your feedback.

Comment

Well, as for your new gifts.

If you want the "Psychic Gift" be more like a full-fledged Psionic ability, you probably are better of designing it along ordinary spell casting (I personally don't like the distinction between psionics and magic and would just treat them the same - if only mechanically).

That being said, if you thing of the "Psychic gift" more like a "Gift of the Mind" (which I would like very much), maybe take a look at the great "Thought Arcana" for inspiration (found somewhere on the board here).

EDIT:

ALSO: There already IS a "Gift of Nature"! Do you wish to recreate it?

Comment

Well, as for your new gifts.

If you want the "Psychic Gift" be more like a full-fledged Psionic ability, you probably are better of designing it along ordinary spell casting (I personally don't like the distinction between psionics and magic and would just treat them the same - if only mechanically).

That being said, if you thing of the "Psychic gift" more like a "Gift of the Mind" (which I would like very much), maybe take a look at the great "Thought Arcana" for inspiration (found somewhere on the board here).
                That's just it, I don't want to treat them the same. I want them to be different. I want there to be a difference between someone casting arcane spells, and someone using a psychic gift. I believe that the rules should support roleplay. Fire and Lightning spells are thematically different from each other, and the mechanics of those spells reflect that difference. In the same way, Arcane power is thematically different from Psychic power and I believe that the rules should also reflect that. I'm not entirely sure how yet, but that's the goal I'm trying to reach.

EDIT:

ALSO: There already IS a "Gift of Nature"! Do you wish to recreate it?
                If you're referring to the Nature Dominion in the Gift of Gods pdf, then sort of? It's more that I want to expand on it. If you wanted to make a Cleric, or Paladin type using the Divine Gift then you have the option of giving them their own unique abilities based on their Dominion. If you wanted to make a Druid, or Ranger type, then they all have to have the same cookie-cutter Nature Dominion. So, much like with the Psychic Gift, I'd like to give them a set of abilities that reflect the thematic difference between the Divine based characters, and the Nature based characters.

Comment

Ah. I get it.

So for the Nature Gift, you wish to expend it to Gifts like "Forest", "Winter", "Caves", or similar stuff.

Interesting...

Comment

i did a sort of Psionic class a few months ago for a friend and all i did was modify the base for Mage. I took away the Arcane Blast and Arcane Device powers, added 1 more weapons Group and changed a few of the wording in the base class. I replaced all of the Blast power upgrades with new powers and instead of Magic Point they had a Focus Pool and Concentration instead of Spellpower. They had access to Spells like a Mage but they also had some abilities of a Warrior and Rogue tied in as well. i lost the document i made for it, but if i ever find it, i will create a page for it.

I like the idea of Psionics and i hope you figure this out. this would be cool.
                    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
                    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
                    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
                    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
                    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
                    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
                    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
                    [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                    X