No announcement yet.

Need an Assassin Vine. Do you have it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an Assassin Vine. Do you have it?

Hello, guys.

I'm looking for an "assassin vine - like" monster. Since I'm not a good monster designer, here I am.
    Have you created a assassin vine for your games? Do you know where can I find one?
    Share!

Re: Need an Assassin Vine. Do you have it?

I've got two out back, but I'm afraid to go pick 'em for ya.
    ;P
    "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Comment

Monster-design isn't tough.
      Let's do it all together.

What do you envision the Vine does?

- Is it sitting there until food comes close?
      - Does it have tentacle like appendages?
      - Is is able to dodge with its large head, or is it just resilient (if neither, it'll get squished really fast).
      - is it poisonous or can it paralyze or something?
      Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Straight from the d20 SRD. The first paragraph is a fairly accurate summary.

ASSASSIN VINE
        The assassin vine is a semi-mobile plant that collects its own grisly fertilizer by grabbing and crushing animals and depositing the carcasses near its roots.

A mature plant consists of a main vine, about 20 feet long. Smaller vines up to 5 feet long branch off from the main vine about every 6 inches. These small vines bear clusters of leaves, and in late summer they produce bunches of small fruits that resemble wild grapes. The fruit is tough and has a hearty but bitter flavor. Assassin vine berries make a heady wine.

An assassin vine can move about, albeit very slowly, but usually stays put unless it needs to seek prey in a new vicinity.

A subterranean version of the assassin vine grows near hot springs, volcanic vents, and other sources of thermal energy. These plants have thin, wiry stems and gray leaves shot through with silver, brown, and white veins so that they resemble mineral deposits. An assassin vine growing underground usually generates enough offal to support a thriving colony of mushrooms and other fungi, which spring up around the plant and help conceal it.

Combat

An assassin vine uses simple tactics: It lies still until prey comes within reach, then attacks. It uses its entangle ability both to catch prey and to deter counterattacks.

Constrict (Ex)

An assassin vine deals 1d6+7 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Entangle (Su)

An assassin vine can animate plants within 30 feet of itself as a free action (Ref DC 13 partial).
        The effect lasts until the vine dies or decides to end it (also a free action). The save DC is Wisdom-based. The ability is otherwise similar to entangle (caster level 4th).

Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, an assassin vine must hit with its slam attack.
        It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
        If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Blindsight (Ex)
        Assassin vines have no visual organs but can ascertain all foes within 30 feet using sound, scent, and vibration.

Camouflage (Ex)
        Since an assassin vine looks like a normal plant when at rest, it takes a DC 20 Spot check to notice it before it attacks.

Anyone with ranks in Survival or Knowledge (nature) can use one of those skills instead of Spot to notice the plant. Dwarves can use stonecunning to notice the subterranean version.

Comment

Dracodruid, this description of assassin vine above, is exactly what I want.
          What do you think?

Comment

Well...

Lets get the basics first.

It doesn't move and it's not very agil I imagine, so a Defense score of 8 and Speed 0 sounds okay for me.
            (And looking through the Adversaries in the book, they all have stupidly low defense scores!)

It shouldn't be too squishy, so an AR of 3-4 and maybe Health 30

It really depends how big you wanna make this thing?

Is it more like an Orc or as big as an Ogre?
            Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
              Well...

Lets get the basics first.

It doesn't move and it's not very agil I imagine, so a Defense score of 8 and Speed 0 sounds okay for me.
              (And looking through the Adversaries in the book, they all have stupidly low defense scores!)

It shouldn't be too squishy, so an AR of 3-4 and maybe Health 30

It really depends how big you wanna make this thing?

Is it more like an Orc or as big as an Ogre?
              I think that more hitpoints would be good because the players aren't supposed to face more than one at time. Or maybe regeneration instead.

Comment

What level and how many players are there?
                [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

If there's just supposed to be one, I'd recommend multiple attacks with a single major action.

Comment

Okay, here are some suggestions, based on the D&D Assassin Vine:
                    • Speed 2: It is semi-mobile. It can move, but its roots are dragging it back.
                    • Armor Rating 3: It is naturally tough, I dunno. The D&D version has +6 natural armor.
                    • Accuracy 0: Not exactly a sharpshooter
                    • Communication -2: Doesn't even like Facebook.
                    • Constitution 2: Pretty tough.
                    • Dexterity 0: Not very nimble.
                    • Fighting 1: Pretty good in melee.
                    • Intelligence -2: Nothing up there, really.
                    • Perception 2: A special case, can only "see" within 10 yards.
                    • Strength 3: Yep, a natural grappler.
                    • Willpower 0: Not much will to it.
                    • Ability Focus: Dexterity (Stealth), Perception (Hearing, Smelling, Touching), Strength (Might), Fighting (Slam)
                    • Multiattack: As a Major Action, the assassin vine can make two slam attacks. A slam is a melee attack using one of its smaller vines, and deals 1d6 + 5 damage on a hit. The assassin vine is proficient with its slam attack.
                    • Entangle: As a Minor Action, the assassin vine can animate plants within 10 yards of it. Creatures in the area when this ability is used, as well as creatures entering this area, must make a TN 11 Dexterity (Acrobatics) test to avoid being entangled; even then, creatures who succeed on this test have their Speed reduced by 2 yards while in the area. An entangled creature has its Speed reduced to 0, and has a -2 penalty to attack rolls, casting rolls, Dexterity tests, and Defense. An entangled creature can attempt a TN 15 Strength (Might) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) test as a Major Action to break free of being entangled. This effect lasts until the assassin vine dies, or until it decides to end it as a Free Action on its turn.
                    • Improved Grab: When the assassin vine hits with its slam attack, it can immediately initiate a grapple after the slam is resolved. A grapple is an opposed test of the assassin vine's Strength (Might) and the target's Strength (Might) or Dexterity (Acrobatics). If the assassin vine wins, the target is grappled. While grappling, the assassin vine cannot use that appendage to make slam attacks, and the target is reduced to Speed 0, and has a -1 penalty to attack rolls and casting rolls. The target can attempt the same opposed test as a Major Action to break free of the grapple.
                    • Constrict: If the assassin vine is grappling a target, it can choose to forego one of its slam attacks on its turn to instead constrict its grappled target. Make an opposed test of the assassin vine's Strength (Might) and the target's Strength (Might) or Dexterity (Acrobatics). If the assassin vine wins, it deals an amount of damage to the target equal to 1d6 + 5.
                    • Blindsight (10 Yards): The assassin vine is effectively blind, and cannot perceive anything beyond 10 yards. Within this range, however, the assassin vine can pinpoint creatures using sound, scent, and vibration just like a normal person can see using vision.
                    Last edited by TheGreyWulf; 17th March 2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X