My spin on flail weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My spin on flail weapons

With your input, I currently do a revamp of my ideas. Of course the dex min. isn't required in the weapon description. So I dropped it.
    And there has to be a new Focus for Fighting. That was the easy part.
    Now I'm thinking a weapon style for this over, which will include the dex requirement and the "Ignore the shield" effect. (Probably at Novice or Journeyman level...)

Comment

Probably the most solid approach. Let us know what you'll came up with.

Couple of ideas:

- Gain +1 attack vs opponents using a shield
      - reduce Double Strike by -1 SP
      - reduce Disarm by -1 SP (wrap around and pull)
      - Special stunt "Shield bash" for 2 or 3 SP: opponent loses shield bonus (must use Activate Action to regain shield bonus OR just regain automatically at beginning of opponents next turn)
      - Make a whirlwind attack against each character (not just enemies) adjacent to you (within 2 yards). Make one attack roll and one damage roll, applied to each target individually.
      Last edited by DracoDruid; 17th March 2016, 04:36 AM.
      Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Yes, some same ideas here:

FLAIL WEAPONS STYLE
        CLASSES: Warrior
        REQUIREMENTS: Trained in the Flails Group and Dexterity 2 or higher.

NOVICE: You can use the flexibility of your weapon to swing around the rim of your foe's shield. When attacking you may ignore any shield bonus to the Defense of the attacked.

JOURNEYMAN: You can use the quickness of your weapon to your advantage. You can perform the Dual Strike stunt for 3 SP instead of the usual 4.

MASTER: You know how to swing your flail with precision. For 2 SP you cripple the shield arm of your foe so he can't use his shield for the rest of the encounter or until healed.

Comments welcome, thx.

Comment

Since Shields can range from small buckler (+1) to large roman-ish shields (+3) completely cancelling ANY shield seems a bit to much (especially with the nunchaku in mind).

- Therefore I would say reduce shield bonus by 1 (or as I wrote above, get +1 Attack bonus against opponents with any shield).
          This alone is a bit on the weak side for a novice degree, so maybe add another small bonus here.
          Or maybe get a bonus equal to the weapon's Min.STR.

- Actually crippling an arm is rather heavy, easpecially for only 2 SP.

Comment

Yep, the Cripple effect sounds brutal. The best way to test the relative brutality of an effect is to subject your PCs to the effect. Deck an NPC Warrior with the Crippling ability, and pit him against a PC Warrior. Then, get the player's feedback.

Other effects that can be considered for Flails (which I think are less brutal than Cripple):
            • Disarm: Force opponent to drop a held item.
            • Trip: Force opponent prone.
            • Grapple: Reduce opponent to Speed 0.
            • Slow: Reduce opponent Speed by some number (I usually just default to 50%, but many people here don't like that).

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
              Since Shields can range from small buckler (+1) to large roman-ish shields (+3) completely cancelling ANY shield seems a bit to much (especially with the nunchaku in mind).

- Therefore I would say reduce shield bonus by 1 (or as I wrote above, get +1 Attack bonus against opponents with any shield).
              This alone is a bit on the weak side for a novice degree, so maybe add another small bonus here.
              This is an interesting twist on the same theme...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
                Yep, the Cripple effect sounds brutal. The best way to test the relative brutality of an effect is to subject your PCs to the effect. Deck an NPC Warrior with the Crippling ability, and pit him against a PC Warrior. Then, get the player's feedback.
                Yes this seems quite brutal, and, of course, I would subject the PCs to the same effect. ;-) But essentially this is a disarm stunt on the shield, I think.

Other effects that can be considered for Flails (which I think are less brutal than Cripple):
                • Disarm: Force opponent to drop a held item.
                • Trip: Force opponent prone.
                • Grapple: Reduce opponent to Speed 0.
                • Slow: Reduce opponent Speed by some number (I usually just default to 50%, but many people here don't like that).
                The Trip sounds interesting, though...
                Last edited by Dashamaal; 17th March 2016, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Disarm and Trip are there, as stunts.

Comment

Yes, and the knock down stunt doesn't lend itself easily into something for the flails. Reducing the SP cost seems to be making the stunt too cheap.
                    Giving a bonus to the opposed attack roll for the disarm stunt looks viable. I feel tempted to give dex as a bonus to that. Or just a flat +2, maybe.
                    Last edited by Dashamaal; 17th March 2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

As stunts, yes, which makes them sort of "accidental". Allowing them as options that can be used on demand is a different thing.

Comment

Would you consider adding the Whip to this sort of weapon group?
                        i actually sue Whip, Chain and Spiked Chain in a Chain Weapons Group in my games. but Flails are different in so many ways, so this is a great add. thanks.
                        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
                        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
                        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
                        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
                        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
                        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
                        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
                        [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by VladGenX View Post
                          i actually sue Whip, Chain and Spiked Chain in a Chain Weapons Group in my games. but Flails are different in so many ways, so this is a great add. thanks.
                          Have you done something with chain weapons? I'd be interested, too.

Comment

After some tinkering (and a lot of comparing other weapon styles) I came to this:

FLAIL WEAPONS STYLE
                            CLASSES: Warrior
                            REQUIREMENTS: Trained in the Flails Group and Dexterity 2 or higher.

NOVICE: You can use the flexibility of your weapon to swing around the rim of your foe's shield. With an Activate action you negate any shield bonus to the Defense of the attacked for your attack in this round.

JOURNEYMAN: You know how to swing your flail to interfere with incoming attacks. If you perform the Defensive Stance stunt you gain an additional +1 bonus to your Defense.

MASTER: You use the quickness of your weapon to your advantage. You can perform the Dual Strike stunt for 3 SP instead of the usual 4.
                            Last edited by Dashamaal; 18th March 2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Sounds good to me.

I think the most smart thing was to take a look at the vanilla talents and use them as templates.

Comment

As stunts, yes, which makes them sort of "accidental". Allowing them as options that can be used on demand is a different thing.
                                I allow them as major actions with regular attack rolls. A successful attack triggers the action as the stunt is written, with no damage. If SP are generated, there's a 2 SP "normal damage" stunt. Because stunts are opportunities that arise, not pre-planned actions.

Comment

Working...
                                X