My spin on flail weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My spin on flail weapons

Since flail weapons do play a quite a role in my campaign I tried to come up with rules for them. Please note the minimum requirement of dexterity needed!
    Flails Group (Fighting)
    Weapon Damage Min. Dex. Cost
    Nunchaku 1D6+1 2 9 sp
    Flail 2D6 1 12 sp
    Two-handed Flail 3D6 2 18 sp
    A trained character's attacks with a flail ignores the shield bonus to the defense of the attacked!

Comments welcome!
    Last edited by Dashamaal; 16th March 2016, 05:49 AM.

Re: My spin on flail weapons

Originally posted by Dashamaal View Post
    Please note the minimum requirement of dexterity needed!
    Is this a supplement to a table where the Minimum Strength is indicated?

While I appreciate the Dexterity requirement for flails (yeah, you really need to know how to make them swing properly), you will need some Strength investment to be able to swing them in the first place, especially for the heavier flails and dire flails. So, I wouldn't drop the Min Str entirely.

Otherwise, your Flail Weapon Group sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
      Is this a supplement to a table where the Minimum Strength is indicated?

While I appreciate the Dexterity requirement for flails (yeah, you really need to know how to make them swing properly), you will need some Strength investment to be able to swing them in the first place, especially for the heavier flails and dire flails. So, I wouldn't drop the Min Str entirely.

Otherwise, your Flail Weapon Group sounds good to me.
      It's absolutely correct to have a minimum strength requirement, esp. for the 2-handed flail. Indeed it was the main problem I thought over for this weapon group for a while. In order to not complicate it too much I decided to stay with just the dexterity requirement. A minimum strength requirement could be gleaned easily from other weapons: Nuchaku: -, Flail: 1, 2-handed Flail: 2, maybe.
      I think it could be incorporated, if wanted...

Comment

Flails Group (Fighting)
        Weapon Damage Min. Str./Dex. Cost
        Nunchaku 1D6+1 -/2 9 sp
        Flail 2D6 1/1 12 sp
        Two-handed Flail 3D6 2/2 18 sp
        A trained character's attacks with a flail ignores the shield bonus to the defense of the attacked!

Comment

Like I said, your Flails group looks good to me, even better now with the Str reqs. ^_^

Would you consider adding the Whip to this sort of weapon group?

At my table, I'm considering making a Flexibles Weapon Group, that includes your flails, plus other flexible weapons like whips, three-section staffs, and whatnot. And like your Flail group, I'm also adding a Dex requirement. I'm looking for insight into such a weapon group.

Comment

Stick to Min.STR

The "Dex requirement" is already in the training of the weapon group.

No need to come up with a new mechanic just for this one.

Also: I would put any "special abilities" into a proper talent - aka Flail/Chain Weapon Style.

Maybe make "Shield Bash" a Stunt for it. (hmm... why not make a regular stunt... thx! )
            Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Keep special abilities as talent-gained exclusive stunts. Works better that way.
              DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
              AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
              AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post

The "Dex requirement" is already in the training of the weapon group.
                Well, I don't see where the training of the weapon group is dependent on a dex requirement. But any special effect (negating the shield bonus) might better be linked to a Flail Weapon Talent, which should have a Dex requirement. I think I'll twist it this way. Thanks folks! ;-)

Comment

In my POV, properly using a weapon in AGE is mirrored in the training of a weapon group.
                  (aka: if you are trained in the weapon group, you got the basics down, e.g. not hurting yourself)

If you include a DEX requirement for flails, you could argue as well to include - lets say - a CON requirement for blugeons.

I just don't see the reason nor the need to include a new rule for this weapon group - and only for this weapon group.

If you do similar with all others then go ahead.

Comment

I don't mind that flails have a special ability, but they are the highest damage, the lowest cost, and they have the special ability.

Comment

This is good example why current weapon group mechanics are poorly designed. Weapon groups should be similar to magic talents such as:
                      • Novice: Gain proficiency in the weapon (ie no penalties when using)
                      • Journeyman: Special weapon stunt for 2SP value
                      • Master: Weapon focus

For this flail idea - minimum dexterity would not be a requirement of the weapon itself, but the prerequisites for the talent group (ie Dex>=2)
                      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

If you were to do that, you'd have to totally revamp talents in general. Your weapons would be taxes, and you might end up with one, maybe two talent lines outside of combat.

Comment

I have to agree with shonuff on this. The base Weapon Group Focus may not give you much, but with the Fighting Style Talents, and the Specializations you can really add your characters abilities. I don't think trying to tie them all into one Talent would really benefit anyone.

Comment

Before this ends up in another debate on principles, can we all just take a minute and appreciate the pun in the title?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
                              Before this ends up in another debate on principles, can we all just take a minute and appreciate the pun in the title?
                              THX ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X