Miniatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniatures

Does anybody know if there are plans to release Fantasy AGE miniatures? Personally, I can't play a game without them. I can't keep track of where my character is or build the scenery in my mind and remember over the course of several turns for one encounter. D&D and Pathfinder minis are great and all, but I would so much rather be supporting Fantasy AGE and buying their minis since that is the game I'm playing.

Re: Miniatures

Not that I've seen, but always worth mentioning being able to design you own at Heroforge.com if you haven't heard/seen anything about it yet.

Comment

Yeah I have seen that before. Not really worth dropping that much money for one mini in my opinion. It's cool that you get to design it yourself and whatnot, just not something I would be interested in. I'm more so interested in monsters and such. I don't want to give a whole bunch of money to Pathfinder for minis considering I never play Pathfinder and really am not a fan of the system. If minis were in talks for Fantasy AGE, that would be great news to me. I suppose a monster manual and companion would have to come first, but I think it would be a good move personally. I'm not sure how many people play with minis, but I can't comprehend how people don't honestly. It just doesn't make sense to me. If it works for you, that's great, it just doesn't work for me.

Comment

The D&D or Pathfinder minis are your best bet.

Comment

The Pathfinder Pawns series is particularly helpful. At least, the concept of cutout figures is (there are a lot of them out there, not just PF).

In my experience, having a lot of miniatures on the board can get confusing. So, what I do is keep the heroes as actual minis, while opponents and other NPCs get to be Pawns (fancy cut-outs) so that, even from afar, it's easy to distinguish heroes from non-heroes. ^_^

Comment

I don't think minis get confusing if you have enough of them. It does require an investment, though. The largest encounter I've run had 75-100 minis, and there was zero confusion about who was what or where. I'd recommend a good stock of cheap units - there are tons of soldiers, elves, dwarves, zombies, orcs, etc., that are available in the $1-2 range.

Comment

I've gotten a couple of Minis for my PCs from www.miniaturemarket.com and then using semi-generic monsters (zombies from Last night on Earth, Meeples from a variety of games, some pathfinder standees that I've picked up) So it's not set specific monsters I'm representing, so my descriptions come out pretty well and they have had visceral reactions to things like chaos monsters in the 10th chapter of the Titansgrave books. So it's more about the management of the fight than the exact figures representing exact things.

Comment

Reaper's Bones line is pretty inexpensive, if you like painting them. They work OK unpainted as well. Just not as pretty!
                This die is defective. It has twenty sides!

Comment

Differing opinions are what make this hobby fascinating. I've never used minis in my RPGs for anything other than party order. I play miniatures wargames and skirmish games fine enough but I dont like them in RPGs.

Comment

I haven't needed to use minis in any system I've played, but I do have a "set" of generic minis I've built in case it comes up. I just ripped the wires off of a binder clip, then glued it open end up to a washer. My "miniatures" are simply double-sided images stuck to some cardboard that I can slide into the binder clip. I even have different coloured bases so that I can distinguish PCs from NPCs as necessary.

Comment

I got my players to use HEROFORGE.COM to design their characters and send me a link to it. I then downloaded screenshots of the front and rear views of each, then printed them out on cardstock and put them in pathfinder bases.

For bad guys, I use meeples from Carcassonne. Lots of colour for distinguishing different baddies.
                      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

I know some people don't find miniatures necessary to play an RPG but personally I can't play without them. Cutouts and such typically don't work for me. It eliminates the immersion for me, and that's the whole reason I play. I will probably end up going with Pathfinder and D&D ones. I would rather that money be going to Fantasy AGE, but with the system being so new, I understand why they haven't jumped into it yet. I hope it will happen in the future.

Comment

Funnily enough, lack of immersion is the reason that I never use miniatures. I find them an unnecessary distraction and as such interfere with immersion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie_ASA View Post
                            Funnily enough, lack of immersion is the reason that I never use miniatures. I find them an unnecessary distraction and as such interfere with immersion.
                            Couldn't say it better. But to each his own I guess.
                            DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
                            AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
                            AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

To be fair, I did start off just like the OP is right now. I needed miniatures and a battle map for every encounter.

The introduction to the Theatre of the Mind was gradual for me. It started with reserving the minis for the big encounters, and using graphing paper for the smaller ones. Eventually, I was able to do away with props altogether. I'm not sure it's even a question of immersion. For me, it was the issue of being able to describe and keep track of the scene, and that skill only grew in me with experience.

Don't get me wrong: Whenever I can, I run my games with the whole shebang - minis, props, elevators for flying creatures, vehicles, and even ambient music and sound effects. Players appreciate it when the games provide visual and auditory stimuli - nothing impresses them more than a GM who obviously puts effort into preparing and running the game, and it encourages them even more into contributing to the story.

But I'm not pulling out the props for every little encounter. The big guns come out for the important scenes. For the "fluffer" encounters, I can do the Theatre of the Mind just as well. I've also run entire sessions without props, especially when we're forced to play away from our usual haunts. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X