Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Expanded Classes Open Playtest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded Classes Open Playtest

I have compiled a few of the class options I have been working on in a single pdf that can be found here. This is where I will be looking for feedback, playtest or otherwise. Thank you in advance for checking it out and your input!

It bares mentioning again, that I can see the fourth class teased for the Fantasy AGE Companion to be a cleric or faith-caster, and so the templar would also change to reflect this rules update if it should it occur. I am also interested in thoughts on how to make the ranger archetype a little more interesting, as it is rather lackluster right now.

Wiki: I know there are a couple of wiki's and I invite either one to add this. Both are great resources and the more eyes on this, the better.

Update: Version 1.5, incorporating changes to the ranger archetype, is now available.
    Last edited by Otog; 24th February 2016, 12:56 PM.
    Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Re: Expanded Classes Open Playtest

Looks neat!

I'd consider changing Blade Journeyman from immunity to a bonus. And I don't think the Templar should have such a high strain reduction, nor IMO so early, but in exchange I'd probably give them a little more MP. I'd also look at giving them a boost for fighting undead/planar of some sort.

Ranger, IMO, is going to be difficult. There just isn't that much to them that can't be declared - a woodsy rogue/warrior can just call themselves one.

Comment

Also, I thought the Bard level 10 ability was true for anyone with a focus... Although that could be a D-AGE only ability (so much is cut/paste).

Comment

If you want your Ranger to be more exciting, you can try to pile on the attacks. Here is what I have in mind:

RANGER (Rogue Archetype)

Twin Strike (1st Level, instead of Deadly Aim): When using the Basic Attack action with a one-handed melee weapon, you may make another attack with another one-handed melee weapon in your other hand. Alternatively, when using the Basic Attack action with a ranged weapon, you can make two attacks, provided that you have enough ammunition within easy reach. In either case, the second attack cannot generate stunts.
        Instead of just a bonus damage, you now get a bonus attack. If you feel this is a bit overpowered, you can tone it down by adding a restriction on weapons (e.g. only with light weapons, only with bows, etc.), but I feel comfortable enough with this.

Deadly Accuracy (6th Level, instead of Coordinated Aim): You can apply the bonus of the Aim action on both attacks from your Twin Strike.
        An Aim bonus on multiple attacks increases chances of landing them both. The appeal here is that this makes the Ranger a self-reliant combatant - Coordinated Aim felt very situational to me to be really attractive.

Hamstring (7th Level, modification): If you hit an opponent with an attack that has the benefits of an Aim action, you can choose to hamstring the opponent. If you do so, you deal half-damage with the attack, but the target is slowed. At each of its turns, the target can use a Major Action to make a TN 15 Constitution (Stamina) test - success means that the target is no longer slowed. Slowed characters can only Move at half of their normal Speed, and cannot Charge or Run.
        The significant change is the sure Slowed condition on a hit, and it eats up the target's Major Action to try and remove it, really improving the ability's usefulness without being overpowering (Slowed isn't too fancy a condition). In fact, since Aim now applies to both Twin Strikes, there is a chance of Slowing two targets at once.

With these, you might make the Ranger more interesting. I certainly would be interested in the ability to attack a lot more in one round (not sure how Twin Strike synergizes with Dual-Weapon Style, but that's a technique I'm willing to allow at my table). This also poses serious build considerations - Do I focus on a Ranged Weapon so I can heavily invest on it? Or do I take the dual-weapons route for the bigger damage, but with enchantments now split between my two weapons? ^_^

Comment

Blade Bravado: I agree, it could use a little something more but was reflective of the swashbuckler in the FABR.

Templar: I wanted something simple and straight forward, so going after strain seemed like the best way to go, but agree that there is not a whole lot going on that makes it feel holy/unholy. If anything, depending on what the FAGE Companion, I may try to move this more toward a gish.

Bard: The language could possibly be clearer; adding your focus bonus to your Stunt Die in order to meet the success threshold on advanced tests is not something you normally get.

Ranger: I like it! I am tempted to update the document right now because the response to the ranger up to this point has been pretty unenthusiastic. Maybe after a little more feedback, I will make the change over.
          Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

Twin Strike is much stronger than Dual Wield.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
              Twin Strike is much stronger than Dual Wield.
              And that's the intent, otherwise a Ranger would just be dual-wielding. But in combination, I think it'd be even more dangerous: Twin Strike + Master Dual-Weapon Style is a total of three attacks. Now, everyone might just become a Ranger. ^_^

Of course, that is the melee option. If the Ranger is too touchy about surviving in the frontlines, she can fall back on Twin-Striking with a bow from a distance. Volleying from afar (aka Kiting) now becomes a ranged option.

EDIT: I meant, Twin Strike + Master Dual-Weapon Style = three SURE attacks. That excludes the possibility of Lightning Attack for even more melee mayhem! ^_^
              Last edited by TheGreyWulf; 20th February 2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I am fine with multiple attacks being the ranger's thing. It needs something all its own. I have two concerns. 1) That twin attacking with ranged weapons should stipulate that it can only be done with a weapon that can be reloaded as a minor action, to avoid it being abused with firearms. 2) Getting rid of pinpoint attack will make specialization keyed off of it unusable. I am OK with the latter, as it only affects the assassin, but that could change in the future. Deadly aim were similar enough to make it work, but not with twin attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Otog View Post
                  I am fine with multiple attacks being the ranger's thing. It needs something all its own. I have two concerns. 1) That twin attacking with ranged weapons should stipulate that it can only be done with a weapon that can be reloaded as a minor action, to avoid it being abused with firearms.
                  Yep, restrict it weapon-wise as much as is comfortable to you.

2) Getting rid of pinpoint attack will make specialization keyed off of it unusable. I am OK with the latter, as it only affects the assassin, but that could change in the future. Deadly aim were similar enough to make it work, but not with twin attacks.
                  You could stipulate that "Twin Strike counts as Pinpoint Attack for purposes of qualifying for" this and that. Whenever something will trigger Pinpoint Attack, it triggers Twin Strike instead. Whenever something affects Pinpoint Attack, it affects Twin Strike instead - and if you feel that it will be overly powerful to have it affect both Strikes, you can restrict it to affect only the first of the Twins.

EDIT: I just had an idea that will make Deadly Accuracy (6th Level) more useful. ^_^
                  • If there is a disadvantageous effect for Pinpoint Attack, it affects both Twin Strikes.
                  • If there is an advantageous effect for Pinpoint Attack, it affects only the first of the Twin Strikes - that is, until 6th Level, at which point Deadly Accuracy can share the advantageous effect with the secondary attack.

Take note that, in this idea, only effects that specifically mention Pinpoint Attack count, so if another ability just gives a "+1 to the next attack" without specifying Pinpoint Attack, only the first of the Twins will count.
                  Last edited by TheGreyWulf; 21st February 2016, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
                    And that's the intent, otherwise a Ranger would just be dual-wielding. But in combination, I think it'd be even more dangerous: Twin Strike + Master Dual-Weapon Style is a total of three attacks. Now, everyone might just become a Ranger. ^_^

Of course, that is the melee option. If the Ranger is too touchy about surviving in the frontlines, she can fall back on Twin-Striking with a bow from a distance. Volleying from afar (aka Kiting) now becomes a ranged option.

EDIT: I meant, Twin Strike + Master Dual-Wea
                    Style = three SURE attacks. That excludes the possibility of Lightning Attack for even more melee mayhem! ^_^
                    Except Dual Wield requires multiple talent points, and Twin Strikes is a level 1 ability. Other multiple Attack abilities appear much later, and they all (iirc) have some penalty attached to them.

I'd be fine with multiple attacks if it weren't at level 1. I'd also pick either dual wielding or ranged weapons to receive the extra attack, not both.

Comment

Except Dual Wield requires multiple talent points, and Twin Strikes is a level 1 ability. Other multiple Attack abilities appear much later, and they all (iirc) have some penalty attached to them.
                      And this is why everyone will want to be a Ranger! It's all that pain rolled into one ability - and then they can still get those other abilities if they want. ^_^

Comment

I'd be fine with multiple attacks if it weren't at level 1. I'd also pick either dual wielding or ranged weapons to receive the extra attack, not both.
                        I think you have a very good point. Twin strikes is really cool, but I also do not want it to be something that GMs will bar players from playing a ranger for. I also do not like that it makes twin strikes the default for an attacking ranger, using a 'spray and pray' approach seems antithetical to the class. I think a good compromise would be tying it to All-Out Attack. It would look something like this:

Twin Attack: You can unleash a flurry of strikes. When making an All-Out Attack you gain all the normal benefits and penalties, and can also make a secondary attack with your off-hand weapon as a Free action. Neither can be a two-handed weapon, and the off-hand weapon is considered to have a Minimum Strength 2 higher than normal. Alternatively, you can make a both attacks with a ranged weapon. The weapon must be able to be reloaded with a Minor Action or less and you must have enough ammunition to make another attack. The secondary attack cannot generate stunt points, and you only add half your Perception or Strength (rounded down) to damage.

That is option A. Suffering a penalty to Defense in order to use it makes it a trade-off between offense and defense.

Combat Talents: You start as a Novice in Archery and Dual Weapon Style.

Option B is a little more conservative. Not really worth the trade-off of pinpoint attack, but gets to the point of being versatile without being OP.

Comment

Ahn Otog, let me throw in my two cents about the ranger thing. I read your classes and didn't really get all interested until I've seen the thing with twin strikes and pinpoint attack compatibility, and then I tried to apply my way of designing thinks on it.

The first think I thought was "I would just refluff pinpoint attack as quick stab with the second weapon, but these guys like crunch", so I started to imagine the rogue expanded options as different versions of pinpoint attack.

Pinpoint Attack
                          -We want to balance against it
                          -+1d6 damage
                          -Limitation: Once per turn
                          -Limitation: Opponnents with equal or greater Dexterity are immune.

Twin Strikes
                          -+1d6 damage (same)
                          -Limitation: Once per turn (same)
                          -Improvement: Dexterity isn't a factor (+1)
                          -Limitation: Must use two weapons (-1 to balance it out)

It would be worded somewhat like this "Twin Attack: Once per round, you can add 1d6 to the damage of a successful attack if you are wielding two weapons", add more lines if you want (things about throwing or wahtever). That way everyone can fight with two weapons (talent) but rangers have an extra trick (ability that isn't just "you get a talent") not dissimilar to the rogue, and the best part, it doesn't interact with the standing TWF rules and it's compatible with pinpoint attack.

Well, hope it helps or gives some inspiration.
                          DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
                          AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
                          AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Originally posted by DiBastet View Post
                            Ahn Otog, let me throw in my two cents about the ranger thing. I read your classes and didn't really get all interested until I've seen the thing with twin strikes and pinpoint attack compatibility, and then I tried to apply my way of designing thinks on it.

The first think I thought was "I would just refluff pinpoint attack as quick stab with the second weapon, but these guys like crunch", so I started to imagine the rogue expanded options as different versions of pinpoint attack.

Pinpoint Attack
                            -We want to balance against it
                            -+1d6 damage
                            -Limitation: Once per turn
                            -Limitation: Opponnents with equal or greater Dexterity are immune.

Twin Strikes
                            -+1d6 damage (same)
                            -Limitation: Once per turn (same)
                            -Improvement: Dexterity isn't a factor (+1)
                            -Limitation: Must use two weapons (-1 to balance it out)

It would be worded somewhat like this "Twin Attack: Once per round, you can add 1d6 to the damage of a successful attack if you are wielding two weapons", add more lines if you want (things about throwing or wahtever). That way everyone can fight with two weapons (talent) but rangers have an extra trick (ability that isn't just "you get a talent") not dissimilar to the rogue, and the best part, it doesn't interact with the standing TWF rules and it's compatible with pinpoint attack.

Well, hope it helps or gives some inspiration.
                            You make great points. It definitely balances well, but in a lot of ways, it is just a better version of pinpoint attack since most rogues can easily meet those limitations (having two weapons or enough ammo). For that reason, I would keep the stipulation that it needs to be part of an All-Out Attack. One thing I am hung-up on is the damage rolls you would get. Since ranger's have access to battleaxes or longswords, they roll 3d6 + Str per round, which is a lot more than what a rogue could normally manage.
                            Last edited by Otog; 21st February 2016, 09:28 PM.

Comment

You make a great points. It definitely balances well, but in a lot of ways, it is just a better version of pinpoint attack since most rogues can easily meet those limitations (having two weapons or enough ammo). For that reason, I would keep the stipulation that it needs to be part of an All-Out Attack. One thing I am hung-up on is the damage rolls you would get. Since ranger's have access to battleaxes or longswords, they roll 3d6 + Str per round.
                              I'd let them. To be able to handle Str weapons effectively, a Ranger would have to build outside the usual limits of Rogues. Investing in Fighting and Strength will pull away from his overall 'Roguishness' and make him a glass cannon - and what better way to remind a glass cannon that it's made of glass than to shatter it every now and then? And if they spread their stats out, they become a Jack of All Trades, Master of None. ^_^

To optimize such a Ranger, the better builds would focus on Accuracy and Perception, which apply to their overall effectiveness in ranged combat and scouting (which are the stereotypical specialties of the Ranger, anyway). If they are forced into melee, they can rely on the sheer number of attacks with their light weapons (to benefit from Accuracy than from Fighting) to make up for their lowered effectiveness.

And yeah, I meant Twin Strike to be a Major Action - it's just that I removed All-Out Attack in my games, and just have the Attack action. In this way, Twin Strike can only be done once, during the Ranger's turn.

EDIT: Another reason I'd let them swing those bigger one-handers around is that, for a Rogue to be able to do that effectively, there'd be a lot of investment into the build, and also a lot of sacrifices elsewhere. I'm for rewarding that kind of dedication. Sure, the Ranger can probably match the Warrior's damage output, but he'll never have the Warrior's survivability in melee, so I don't think he'll be stealing much thunder. But if he likes to duke it out in melee with twin scimitars like Drizzt, let him have his fun. ^_^
                              Last edited by TheGreyWulf; 21st February 2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X