Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting ability values

Hello,

Downloaded the FA PDF this morning and finally getting around to reading it. As usual, I like to start making a character as I read - which I know can be dangerous since without reading the entire book I may be missing a lot. I apologize if my question is both obvious and have been answered already 487 times.

In any case, can you confirm I can have a starting ability greater than 4...assuming I started it at 4 then my racial benefit gave me a +1 to it.

Also, if this is spelled out in the book if you could point me to the page/section I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

PS- after looking at "dozens" of OSR type books lately trying to find "the one game for me", I'm finding FA to be a nice breath of fresh air.

Re: Starting ability values

Originally posted by capmarvel View Post
    In any case, can you confirm I can have a starting ability greater than 4...assuming I started it at 4 then my racial benefit gave me a +1 to it.

Also, if this is spelled out in the book if you could point me to the page/section I'd appreciate it.

The relevant pages are Pages 9 & 10.

If you are rolling dice (3d6) to determine your starting ability scores, then yes, you can have an ability score that is higher than 4 at 1st level. This is because the dice results on its own can give you a maximum score of 4 (Page 10, Determining Abilities table), and then your racial modifier can add to that.

If you are buying abilities (Page 9, Option 2: Buying Abilities sidebar), then you most likely cannot have a score higher than 4 at 1st level. This is because you can only buy a maximum score of 3, and then you add a +1 racial modifier to that.

I hope this helps. Happy Gaming! ^_^

Comment

Re: Starting ability values

Maybe in a future update they should explicitly state that fact (you can have higher than 4 at the start) - or perhaps just update one of the examples in that chapter to reflect that.

Comment

Working...
      X