AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE

Today I bring you a conversion I did of the (new) World of Darkness mechanics to AGE rules.

The AGE of Darkness - Core nWoD rules
    AGE: the Forsaken - Werewolf the Forsaken conversion, with a side of the Changing Breeds. Now now, don't curse me. I present you both Changing Breeds and War Against the Pure versions for you to choose.
    Age of Scion - Coming soon

"Wait, what? Why?", I hear your thoughts.

Well, since I have a Werewolf the Apocalypse tattoo it comes as no surprise that I'm a fan of the WoD settings. But I'm not those diehard "I grew up with the old system so the new ones suck"; in fact I like the new games even more than the old ones. White wolf became more mature, left the horrible metaplot behind and got better at creating rules. I specially like the "Blue Books", the core book to play with mortals in horror settings.

However I can't handle complex systems anymore. And I believe that most people here like AGE exactly because of its simplicity and highly modular nature. So when GR went in the direction of with their Fantasy Age I was inspired to create a Modern Age variant.

After I did the simple conversion (really, just add a resource system, more focuses, vehicles and guns) I asked myself "if my modern games are always horror, why don't I convert WoD so i can use my books and they don't get moldy?", and so I did exactly that. After playing it a little (actually a lot) I finally decided to put up an english version for everyone's use.

The design goals of this conversion were these:

1 - To use the simplicity of the AGE rules whenever possible.
    I tried to keep to the spirit of WoD rules instead of the letter, and most of the times when AGE already had a rule I just use it.

2 - Maximum compatibility.
    I also wanted that I or anyone using these rules could open their WoD book to look for a rule and use it as it was, just in an Age way. No need for "here it says presence + politics, so it makes sense roll a Communication (Persuasion) focus". Instead you find your rule and goes "Here, roll Dexterity + Athletics" and that makes sense.

3 - Use the new, improved and "indier" rules of the God Machine Update.
    If you have just the original core book you may download the God Machine Rules Update for free. Bye Morality, hello Integrity. Monsters and mortals play by the same rules. You just apply your supernatural template and there you go.

And that's it, really. It's a simple, almost quick and dirty conversion that took me some time to complete but that works pretty well.

Changelog
    10/01/2016: Ver 1.0. Original file.
    11/01/2016: Ver 1.1. Typos, formating, some things I forgot.
    12/01/2016: Changeling the Dreaming conversion.
    09/03/2016: Werewolf the Forsaken conversion.
    12/06/2016: Ver 1.2. Minor rule simplifications after more playtest.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 1st July 2016, 08:28 PM.
    DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
    AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
    AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Re: AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE

I was waiting for something like this. WoD has always been my favorite system but was so bogged down by extra materials that were not always compatible or balanced that most of our new players quickly losed interest in favor of a basic system like FAGE. This fall I've started converting the system from the Masquerade/Requiem to use with FAGE, keeping the 7-8 classic Bloodlines, Disciplines (as Talents) and by adding the Potency stat to the ''casting'' rolls of Discipline or vampiric features (Potency + focus Discipline) and adding Blood as power points. Masquerade break would be roleplayed, to keep the system simple.

Comment

Just some thing I've found:

Alchemy could maybe just be called Chemistry as its is within the ability of a non-template human to craft (alchemy is clearly esotheric), maybe keep Alchemy as a talent for Awakened (mystics)

Automatic fighting style is really strong, a master with a SMG and with a stunt of 6 would be able to attack 6 times, for 12d6+ 6xMod or add 6d6 extra damage from Mighty blows if he has a Speciality Stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by vincegetorix View Post
        Alchemy could maybe just be called Chemistry as its is within the ability of a non-template human to craft (alchemy is clearly esotheric), maybe keep Alchemy as a talent for Awakened (mystics)
        It's really something to consider.

Originally posted by vincegetorix View Post
        Automatic fighting style is really strong, a master with a SMG and with a stunt of 6 would be able to attack 6 times, for 12d6+ 6xMod or add 6d6 extra damage from Mighty blows if he has a Speciality Stunt.
        I gotta say that the damage part is actually intended; the ability to gun down people mafia style. I have a certain design idea that if someone spends so many resources (two talents for journeyman, plus one more for specialty stunt) and is willing to play the roleplay price, then let him. In a militar campaign it's ok to fire automatics, you are the automatics expert, but as a civilian, as the WoD Armory says "few things call the cops so fast as firing automatic weapons in a city".

That said, you comment showed me two things:

1st - I put the first version of automatics style on the document. The current version changes the order of the abilities to Master - Novice - Journeyman. Doesn't change your argument a lot, but it's something for me to correct.

2nd - Something that I forgot to put in the rules: The master effect of specialty stunt was intended to be the only way you could lower a stunt price by 2, and other stunt reduction effects don't stack. That's how we actually play, but I forgot to mention that. I'll add the following to the rules:

"Stunt Cost Reduction
        Multiple stunt cost reduction effects don't stack. You apply only the highest one."

You have a point with mighty blow, it's just that in our games it wasn't an issue. Your comment made me think about other issue however: The idea was that you have the choice to either attack many times (and possibly waste ammo) or just one attack that causes less damage than multiple attacks, but looking from another angle because of ammo and armor the mighty blow option is always better. I think I have a solution that I'll try out.

But anyway, I'm glad you're interested, and thanks for pointing that.
        Last edited by DiBastet; 12th January 2016, 09:18 AM.
        DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.

Comment

after taking a quick peek, i found i really like this idea of yours. i was hoping to play some sort of modern fantasy version with FAGE taking a WoD approach, but this is really nice. thanks for that and i will get to work on my campaign shortly. i will keep in touch and look for the upcoming conversions. thanks again and keep up the good work.
          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
          [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

Interesting, I don't have knowledge about WoD, but it looks like you did a great job combining the two systems and giving the rules the simplicity AGE has to offer.

One thing I looked at a bit more in depth was firearms. I am working on a modern setting myself and am curious to see how modern firearms are handled in other systems/settings to not make melee weapons obsolete.

The majority of the balance between firearms (and to a lesser extend bows) and melee weapons, has to do with reloading, which you kept in like normal, but then there are the automatic weapons. For firearms there is also the "Automatic Fire" stunt, which seems very strong, well especially with the automatics style at master - so you can fire multiple rounds at the same target at 6 stunt points, 6 shots at the same target during 1 attack, jikes! From what I see the main balancing factor for this is the cost of ammunition, afterall what use is the best gun if you can't afford ammo for it. And also the roleplay factor you mentioned in the previous post - getting the cops after you might not be ideal .
            But both factors mean that the GM needs to:
            • Carefully handle the cost and availability of ammo and in turn the amount of money he gives the party.
            • Have some kind of retribution for using the automatic fire stunt a lot of times.

Without those factors I imagine it becomes too powerful.

That said, I can't really get my head around the charge system.
            As I understand it is created to ease the use and purchase of things like food, ammo, medicine etc, basically things you have a lot of and that will be used on a regular basis. Part of me understands this, but at the same time it confuses me. I think I am misunderstanding parts of it, perhaps you could help clear it up.

Items counted by units like ammo, but also medical supplies, lockpicks or even units of food or water, don't have units anymore. Instead each unit on your character sheet is a "charge". A charge is a generic non-specified amount good for some uses.
            If I understand this correctly a charge would be similar to 'a full quiver of arrows' or a 'clip of ammo' regardless of how many these may hold. So a charge for a bow could be 20 arrows in a quiver, whereas for a gun it might be a clip which holds 12 rounds and for a missile launcher it might simply be 1 missile. Is that a correct assumption?

Whenever you make a test that can use said charges and you roll a 1 on the Stunt Die you spend a charge. It doesn't matter if the action was successful or not, at the end of the action the charge is spent and you may erase it from your character sheet.
            Just to make sure, I take it this does not apply to ammunition.

In the case of missile weapons each turn of attack represents an ideal number of discharges and maybe quick reloads instead of a single shot per attack. When you finally spend a charge your weapon is not loaded anymore, and you must spend the appropriate action to reload it. That is finding new clips, switching quivers, etc. maybe quick reloads instead.
            When you spend a charge your weapon is not loaded anymore - got it! - however "each turn of attack represents an ideal number of discharges" confuses me, does that mean a turn of attack can make you fire several charges (i.e. several clips of ammo)? or do you mean that a discharge is a single unit of ammo?

Any attack has a chance to spend a unit of ammo
            This is probably the part where I completely misunderstand something. In the earlier paragraph it is said stated ammo no longer uses units but instead charges. so if ammo does use units here (which does seem logical for balancing the price cost) one would still need to keep track of how many shots have been fired and thus how much of a charge is used. Which in turn would defeat the purpose of using charges for ammo...
            And also it has a 'chance' to spend a unit of ammo - wouldn't shooting a gun always 'use up' a unit of ammo, this makes me thing there is a chance to shoot a bullet without using up the ammo - which seems odd.

Maybe I'm missing something really simple, perhaps you can give me an 'in-game' example of how charges and ammo are used and when one runs out of chargers and/or ammo.

All in all a minor thing compared to the entire rulebook you wrote up, great job!

Comment

Without those factors I imagine it becomes too powerful
              I think that usually the only kind of campaign that these limitations might not be an issue are military campaigns. Maybe supernatural spec ops against monsters, or maybe something like Aliens. And in that kind of setting, why wouldn't the soldiers be using their M4 rifles or MP5 subs after all? So yeah, the roleplay aspects are part of the "balance".

Is that a correct assumption?
              Is is. But please note that Explosives are the exception. It has its own rule exception that says "Each charge of ammo is good for only one attack". Now the other weapons it might be a couple clips, maybe a quiver with the original arrows plus the ones you found or made during adventure. A generic, non-specified number. The idea is that it isn't -worth- counting.

Just to make sure, I take it this does not apply to ammunition.
              You are wrong. This rules was made basically -for- ammunition and later we found it expanded nicely to other items. SAo no, it applies specially to ammo. a 1 on an attack spends your charge of ammo and you have to reload. Of course, with this assumption wrong you misunderstood the rest.

"each turn of attack represents an ideal number of discharges"
              Well, discharge as in "firearm discharge". A shot. I'm sorry, I just like the proper ballistics term.

Maybe I'm missing something really simple, perhaps you can give me an 'in-game' example of how charges and ammo are used and when one runs out of chargers and/or ammo.
              I imagine that by now all the confusion is gone, but let me give you an example anyway 'cause examples are nice.

Laura Bullseye, my wife's character in an AGE of Fallout game we played this december is a ranger and designated markswoman. She sees a group of Ghouls a little ahead on the bridge, and having no way to avoid them they plan to take them down.

The plan is for them to stay at Laura's long range and let her fire her rifle; the ghouls will come to them but that may take some turns that she'll use to take potshots at them. When they get close Also Eats Crabs, the supermutant, will use his shotgun.

Laura starts firing, she hits and takes a ghoul down, but unfortunately she gets a 1 on her stunt die. At the end of her action her rifle is out! My wife roleplays that Laura starts shooting, reloads two bullets and then finds out her ammo sack is torn open "goddamit", she curses, "me ammo has run out!". Unfortunatelly my wife didn't have money for a second charge, so nina draws her peashooter sidearm.

The plan goes south. The ghouls take three turns to reach the group, but since Laura couldn't thin their numbers with rifle fire, Also Eats Crabs and Dr Smitter, the robot, will have to handle bigger numbers than expected.

The ghouls reach the group, Also Eats crabs attacks with his shotgun and never gets a 1 on the stunt die. Dr Smitters attacks with his built-in protecton laser, but on the first attack gets a 1 and his batteries run out. "[Censored] batteries" the robot screams.

Later...

In another part of the adventure, Dr. Smitters found two more charges for his built-in laser. Their crazy plan to avoid some ghouls in the Hospital is to break down some handmade grenades and create a trail of gundpowder heading to somewhere far from their position where it will blown up a makeshift bomb to make a lot of noise. They will shoot the trail to light it up, and hopefully the sound will draw the ghouls to the far side so they can pass unimpeded.

They get everything ready and DR Smitters will light it up from the end of the hall with his laser. First shot he misses, but gets no 1 on the stunt die. The ghouls hear the laser fire and start running towards their position. "You have two turns!", I say.

Dr Smitters, tries again, and misses again. "One turn!", he tries again, misses and gets a 1 on the stunt die and his batteries run out. "[Censored] batteries!". "Oh my god! I'll shoot too" screams my wife and Laura tries to hit the gunpowder trail with her peashooter. "It's much harder to light it with a bullet than with a laser. Go for it". Dr. Smitters is out, Also Eats Crabs has only one charge of shotgun ammo, and nina got only a peashooter charge left. Better it work out or they will face to face 6+ ghouls in cramped spaces and with too little ammo...

So that's it. You may get a lucky streak and go turns and turns without spending a Charge, or you may run out at the exact moment you couldn't. The encumbrance system is another balancing factor; every Charge of ammo is worth at least 0,5 Encumbrance, so if you take too much ammo with you you'll have other problems...

Comment

Wonderful work. I am looking forward to your take on Forsaken!

Comment

Originally posted by rulandor View Post
                  Wonderful work. I am looking forward to your take on Forsaken!
                  Took me a while to finish the Age the Forsaken file, but that's because I wanted to include a conversion of the Changing Breeds book from the basic line. But now here it is. Hope you enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                  X