Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And another new homebrew arcana (Metal arcana)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And another new homebrew arcana (Metal arcana)

Metal arcana

Metalomancy has no secret for you. Your talent is well respected by everyone, blacksmith or adventurers.

Novice : You learn the spells Metal bending and Restraint .
    Journeyman : You learn the spell Metal skin. You also gain the focus Intelligence (Metal arcana).
    Master : You gain the spell Spell D You also choose one spell stunt you can perform for -1 SP when casting Metal arcana spells.

Metal bending

Spell type : Utility MP Cost : 4
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 11
    Test : Dexterity (Acrobatics) VS Spellpower

You may sculpt any metal you touch into a new form. This way, you can repair any metal equipment that has been damaged. You can bend any non-magical metal armor or weapon, leaving them unusable. Any enemy carrying a weapon or armor targeted by the spellcaster may make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) test to avoid the spell.

Restraint

Spell type : Defense MP Cost : 4
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 12
    Test : Dexterity (Accrobatics) VS Spellpower, Strenght (Might) VS Spellpower

A metal cuff rush at the target's leg. Once attached, a 3 yards long chain appear, connected to the ground, preventing the cuffed enemy to move further. The target may make a Dexterity (Accrobatics) test to avoid being cuffed. If failed, it has to make a strenght (Might) test as a major action to break free. The cuff do not prevent the target to fight or cast spell.

Metal skin

Spell type : Defense MP Cost : 7
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 14
    Test : None

Your skin harden as it become half biological and half metal. This spell grant a +4 natural armor but lower your speed of 2, because of the new weight of your body. The spell last until the end of the encounter. This spell also prevent you from swiming at all. You can desactivate this spell with an activation action.

Magicmade weapon

Spell type : Attack MP Cost : 10
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 15
    Test : Strenght (Might) vs. Spellpower

You attract a large amount of metal nearby from various objects (not weapons or armors). All those objects agglomerate around your arm to create a mystic and impressive ranged weapon. This weapon has 3 charges and it takes a major action to fire each of these charges. Each charge is fired as if it was a metal arcana spell for the attack roll and deals 3d6+Will penetrating damage. The target may make Dexterity (Accrobatics) test to halve these damages rounded down. The magicmade weapon vanish at the end of the encounter and every unfired charge is lost.

Re: And another new homebrew arcana (Metal arcana)

Originally posted by Vegasmobile View Post
    Metal arcana

Metalomancy has no secret for you. Your talent is well respected by everyone, blacksmith or adventurers.

Novice : You learn the spells Metal bending and Restraint .
    Journeyman : You learn the spell Metal skin. You also gain the focus Intelligence (Metal arcana).
    Master : You gain the spell Spell D You also choose one spell stunt you can perform for -1 SP when casting Metal arcana spells.

Metal bending

Spell type : Utility MP Cost : 4
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 11
    Test : Dexterity (Acrobatics) VS Spellpower

You may sculpt any metal you touch into a new form. This way, you can repair any metal equipment that has been damaged. You can bend any non-magical metal armor or weapon, leaving them unusable. Any enemy carrying a weapon or armor targeted by the spellcaster may make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) test to avoid the spell.

Restraint

Spell type : Defense MP Cost : 4
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 12
    Test : Dexterity (Accrobatics) VS Spellpower, Strenght (Might) VS Spellpower

A metal cuff rush at the target's leg. Once attached, a 3 yards long chain appear, connected to the ground, preventing the cuffed enemy to move further. The target may make a Dexterity (Accrobatics) test to avoid being cuffed. If failed, it has to make a strenght (Might) test as a major action to break free. The cuff do not prevent the target to fight or cast spell.

Metal skin

Spell type : Defense MP Cost : 7
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 14
    Test : None

Your skin harden as it become half biological and half metal. This spell grant a +4 natural armor but lower your speed of 2, because of the new weight of your body. The spell last until the end of the encounter. This spell also prevent you from swiming at all. You can desactivate this spell with an activation action.

Magicmade weapon

Spell type : Attack MP Cost : 10
    Casting Time : Major action Target number : 15
    Test : Strenght (Might) vs. Spellpower

You attract a large amount of metal nearby from various objects (not weapons or armors). All those objects agglomerate around your arm to create a mystic and impressive ranged weapon. This weapon has 3 charges and it takes a major action to fire each of these charges. Each charge is fired as if it was a metal arcana spell for the attack roll and deals 3d6+Will penetrating damage. The target may make Dexterity (Accrobatics) test to halve these damages rounded down. The magicmade weapon vanish at the end of the encounter and every unfired charge is lost.

Nice concept. Here are some notes:

Metal Bending: I'd put a volume or weight limit on this spell. As it stands, you can touch a tank and reduce it to a flat sheet for 4 MP and TN 11, killing everyone inside. Maybe something like "the material should fit in a 2-yard cube".

Restraint: I'm curious - why 3 yards?

Magic-Made Weapon: As DM, this actually feels fun, in the sense that I can cause the spell to fail by virtue of there not being "enough" metal nearby to form the weapon. Also, you can try for a more "metallic" name, like Steelwrought Weapon, or something.

Comment

I like the idea and it looks like a solid base for the arcana. But I do have an issue with the metal bending.
      Namely this part: "You can bend any non-magical metal armor or weapon, leaving them unusable"

This can be very very overpowered, if you face say a heavily armored foe with a huge axe or something. it takes two turns (2x metal bending), given he doesn't make the dexterity safe, to reduce him to an unarmored brawling foe. Against some 'random' opponents this is probably not an issue, but against some boss-type character it would really skew the encounter.
      Not to mention that if it 'exists' there's a chance the GM will use it against players which could be quite devastating.

Perhaps this can be balanced by increasing (or decreasing) the TN based on what you want to metalbend.

I want to second that magicmade weapon is a very interesting spell for both the player and GM. I do have two questions about it, which aren't entirely clear to me:
      - When you use the spell, does that also allow you to "shoot" the first charge or does that happen in the next turn?
      - You stated that shooting a charge counts as a metal arcana spell, but what is the TN for shooting a charge or is it the same TN as the spell itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerben View Post
        - You stated that shooting a charge counts as a metal arcana spell, but what is the TN for shooting a charge or is it the same TN as the spell itself?
        From a RAW standpoint, I'd say that you use an Intelligence (Metal Arcana) roll as your attack roll, which would be against the target's Defense. That's just from reading it, though. No RAI. Hehehe

Comment

Also, considering the nature of the spell, i'd say that throwing spheres of metal against an armored foe should factor the enemy's armor, making the damage non-penetrating. I dont see why a physical impact from material object (ironwrought weapon) to another (enemy's armor) can be penetrating unless the sphere is propulsed with absurd force. I'd make it a 3d6+will damage against Defense, no resist roll, like Water Whip from Water arcana, but improved.

Comment

TheGreyWulf: Thanks for your tips i'll modify my arcana considering your advices. You're right, 3 yards for [I]restraint[I] is way too long. Moreover, I'll add the option to use silver pieces if there is no other metal around for the player.

Gerben: You may be right for the metalbending spell I think I'll change it for a new one. For the magicmade weapon, no you can't shoot your first charge in the same turn and you use intelligence (Metal arcana) as the attack roll against the opponent defense.

Vincegetorix: It's no written the it throws metal spheres. It may focus the arcane blast as a magic beam or whatever, it's the player to choose its own description of the spell effect and may change it each time he uses the spell.

Comment

Just to say that 3x 3d6+Will penetrating for 10 MP (making it the more damaging penetrating spell of the game, for a lesser MP cost and TN than its closest competitor) would turn any encounters against heavily armored foes into a cakewalk by level 5 for a Mage, even more if you can use coins to deal with the prerequesite of a ''large amout of metal''. Beside, Arcane Blast is not penetrating: being magical doesnt make an attack penetrating, it must have some kind of logic to say a damage is penetrating and does not need to consider Armor into its calculation, like electricity coursing through the metal of an armor or poison running through the veins of your opponent. To have access to a 3d6+mod and consider it penetrating for 1 attack, a warrior must stunt for 2 SP and wield a two-hander. Overall, I think this Arcana is a little too ''complete'', I mean: with just one Arcana you have strong action/movement denial, a defensive spell and a high penetrating damage, low cost, repeatable without MP investment for 3 rounds, spell. For me this make this Arcana a must, as it make other ones totaly unappealing and unnecessary. For now, one thing nice with FAGE's Magic system is that no Arcana feels like a must and each have its own advantage. AOE damage? Fire Arcana. Penetrating Damage? Lightning. Defense? Earth. Support? Heal, Fate etc.

Comment

Working...
              X