Some homebrew monsters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some homebrew monsters.

So, there are some homebrew monsters I've constructed for my own setting. It's my first attempt at constructing monsters, so if you see any unbalanced moments, please, do tell me about them)

Nighthound.
    Those are somewhat mutated wild boars. They hunt in packs of 5 or 6 and only move and attack during the night. They tend to avoid large groups of people.

Acc: 2(Bite, Rush) Int: -1
    Com: -2 Per: 1(Smelling, Tracking)
    Con: 2(Running) Str: 2
    Dex: 1 Wil: -1
    Fig: 0

HP:16 AR:3
    Def:11 Speed: 15

Bite: +4 to hit 1d6+2 damage.
    Ambush: +4 to hit 1d6+5 damage. (Can only be used if the target is unaware of hound's presence)
    Favored stunts: Pierce armor, Howl, Knock prone.
    Howl (3SP): Roll 3d6. On (12+number of hounds on the battlefield)+ another hound appears in 1d3 rounds.
    Pack tactics: When nighthounds are attacking in packs of 3 or more, they can perform stunts for 1 less SP.

Scarecrow.
    Scarecrows are dark souls, who survived long enough to gather strength and embody a physical entity. Though they are strong, years they spent wandering between the worlds has driven them insane. Scarecrows are not necessarily hostile when encountered, but are easily provoked. Cough in a wrong way, blink in a wrong way and it may attack you. Hunters and Guardians tend to avoid scarecrows, unless they have a well-trained group of battle masters and gifted[mages]. The hostility of a scarecrow is up to DM.

Scarecrows are not afraid of sunlight and can pose as mundane scarecrows. Due to the aura of the dark energy it emits, a scarecrow can be spotted with a successful TN 15 Perception(Empathy) check.

Acc: 1(Claws) Int: 0
    Com: -2 Per: 1
    Con: 2 Str: 5(Intimidation)
    Dex: 4 Wil: 1(Self-Discipline)
    Fig: 4(Chosen weapon)

Def: 14 AR:7(against non-magical); 4(against magical)
    HP: 50 Speed: 14

Weapon of choice: +6 to hit 2d6+7 damage.
    Scarecrow makes an attack with its weapon, which is the first weapon it has stumbled upon after it's awakening.
    Claws: +3 to hit 1d6 + 5 damage.
    Scarecrow swings at its enemy with clawed hands.
    Favored stunts: Pierce armor, Dark pulse.

Dark pulse(4 SP): For a second scarecrow focuses on the opponent. Otherworldly glow comes out of its eye sockets, spreading terror. Chosen opponent gets a -3 penalty on all checks made against the scarecrow until the end of the encounter. Successful Willpower (Self-Discipline) check reduces the penalty to -2.

Shadow in the mist.
    Shadow in the mist is a dark soul, represented by a 15-yard-radius cloud of mist. A physical form of the shadow is usually a humanoid looking creature (mostly young females or children) concealed by the mists. It calls for help and when answered, hunts those who came to help it. Shadow can't move mist cloud during the day, but in the night, it can move about 300 kilometers over the course of 6 hours. It looks as giant mist arrow flies extremely close to the ground. Shadow can't change its direction while moving and has to stop, spend 5 minutes, and only then continue its way in the new direction. Anyone caught in its way suffers 5d6 piercing damage, as dark energy tears their bodies apart. If a creature is reduced to 0 hit points by this damage it can't be healed, except by magical means.

Shadow.
    Acc: 2 (Chilling Touch) Int: 4
    Com: -2 Per: 3
    Con: -2 Str: -3
    Dex: 2 Wil: 4
    Fig: 0

Def: 12 AR: 3
    HP: 40 Speed: 15

Innate spellcasting: Shadow(Journeyman), Water (Novice), but represented by mist instead of shadow or water. Shadow can cast those spells without a need to succeed on Casting checks and with no need in MP.
    Incorporeal: can't be hit by a non-magical weapon, unless Bane (3 SP) is used (Strength is substituted for Willpower in that case).
    Disappear: as Major Action Shadow disappears in the mist around it. Shadow can still Cast and Attack from shadows, without revealing itself. Successful Perception(Seeing or Empathy)TN 14 (or 16 if Shadow's Embrace was used) check will allow PC to find Shadow and attack it again, revealing it to all the other party members.
    Chilling scream (3 SP): Shadow shrieks and everyone in the mist makes TN 14 Wil(Self-Discipline) check or suffers a -2 penalty on all checks made in the mist until it shrugs the effect off, by taking a Major Action and making a successful TN 14 Wil(Self-Discipline) check.
    Chilling touch: +4 to hit 2d6 + 4 damage.

I hope you can help me find my mistakes and improve those monsters)
    Last edited by Arbaks; 2nd January 2016, 08:14 AM.

Re: Some homebrew monsters.

Originally posted by Arbaks View Post
    Nighthound.
    Those are somewhat mutated wild boars. They hunt in packs of 5 or 6 and only move and attack during the night. They tend to avoid large groups of people.)
    well, for one, give them Pack Tactics. you said they hunt in Packs so PACK TACTICS: When a Nighthound is attacking in a pack of 3 or more, they can perform stunts for 1SP less than normal

This will add to the fact that that is how they are described. it makes dealing with many more dangerous.
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
    [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

• How did you go about building these monsters?
      • Did you build them like a player character?
      • Did you build them for a specific level?
      • What level are they and did you "beef" them up?

I ask because monster building framework is something that I will be tackling in the future. The work I have done so far tells me this about your monsters.

Code:
      Name        AB   AB Level   HP  Con  HP Level   Extra Level  Likely Level  Beef
      Nighthound  11    2         16   2   1.6        0.40         1              ~
      Scarecrow   20   10         50   2   10.7       0.7          11             ~
      Shadow Mist 21   12         40   0   17.1       5.1          13             Elite
      (AB = Ability)
      Found out that a negative constitution breaks my formula with the Shadowmist. I don't know how many players you have in your game, but that is a big part of how balanced the monster HP is. For low levels, the mist and the scarecrow hit quite hard and quite often with high Accuracy/Fighting. Might be really tough for 2-3 low level players. Take a look at some of my weapon hit mechanics on the blog and also on the forums.

For the mist I would caution against taking away the hit roll for spells. Unless they are likely to only cast a spell once. I did that in a game where a rogue NPC adversary (for story reasons) gained fire and water schools of magic. It was already at 50% life when this activated and only cast 2 spells against 7 PC's. I made these spells auto hit because of the importance of the action the NPV took to gain the powers.
      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

First of all, I'm not sure how to put normal quotes in the post, so here we go.
        well, for one, give them Pack Tactics.
        Okay, I am an idiot. I was thinking about something similar, but forgot to put it in. Thank you very much)

I ask because monster building framework is something that I will be tackling in the future.
        Wow, that's an incredible work you've done. Very impressive. Though, I'm quite surprised that you've not included AR in your studies.
        Answering your questions, nor have I built them as PC's, neither as recreating other monsters. I've had a concept of them (mostly, since my setting is quite similar to the world in books of one Russian author), slightly altered to fit my world. Then I thought wich abilities should be dominating and what should creature be resistant to. So, for example, with the shadow I figured that its physical form is feeble, hence negative constitution, which effectively puts shadow at a disadvantage on all the strength-of-body checks. Though, since it belongs to the darkness and is quite insane by its own nature, it can't be scared easily, its willpower should be high. And etc.
        Levels are tricky. There are lots of special magical items (hard, but possible to acquire) designed to deal with dark souls. So, lvl 10 team of 5 PCs with standard Hunter gear should be capable of taking on a scarecrow. Or lvl 7-8 team of 5 with specialized gear. (Additional damage, magical defense, or second chance on checks and etc)
        About HP. That's the untested part. Really untested. Hounds shouldn't be a problem since three or four hits should put it down. And they weren't (their HP and AR is a total ripoff from one of the monsters I've already used). But scarecrows and shadows... well, I don't really know. It seemed like the right amount of HP and AR for them. The biggest problem is calculating approximate damage, cause of stunts, extra damage and other stuff. So HP value is really abstract for me.
        They should be major to dire lvl, (except for hounds, they are minor).

And about the shadow's casting rolls. It's either losing a turn to beef up hiding by 2, or simple manipulations with the mist (as in arcane spring, simply drops enemy prone) or shadow dagger, that deals 1d6+1 penetrating damage, which is less then Chilling touch (considering AR).

Comment

Originally posted by Arbaks View Post
          I'm quite surprised that you've not included AR in your studies.
          I wrote them down while collecting data. I figure AR is a a gear choice that isn't affected by level (Except maybe plate armor being available at earliest for a level 7 warrior).

Code:
          AR   %of bad guys
          0  21%
          1   0%
          2   3%
          3  12%
          4  35%
          5  15%
          6   6%
          7   0%
          8   6%
          9   3%
          AR is incredibly important part of combat balance. I have had mixed results with AR and the pacing of a fight. I had a battle of my 7 PC's versus 8 NPC "Bandits" (AKA fake riot police) with clubs, light shields, light mail. Very low damage but high survivability. PC had only disabled 2/8 bandits before I accelerated the encounter to the next part where actual police come in and take control of the situation. My guys were not losing but the pace was really slow. The end of that story arc ended in a fight at a black tie party where everyone was only wearing suits as disguise. So when the fight finally broke out everyone had zero armor (had smuggled in weapons) and the pace was quick and more exciting. Combat only lasted 3-4 rounds and the boss did do a lightning attack stunt against one warrior and reduced his HP to single digits which was the exciting part. At low levels (like the riot police) high armor really sucks for mages. They don't really have the tools to deal with AR with arcane blast being under powered and not being able to reliably make the dex tests on a flame blast. Early in the campaign when I had first tackled the weapon balance problem I decided to beef up quarterstaff to 3d6-2 damage. All the mages just hit things with their sticks because their spells sucked.

Anyway, using the books as a guideline, you should either go with zero armor or about 4 armor and really consider how AR will affect the pace of the fight.

After a bit more consideration these monsters in the FAGE book seem to be similar to yours. You may have not mentioned it so forgive me if it is obvious:
          • Nighthound : Goblin (have "Pack Tactics" like Vlad mentioned)
          • Scarecrow : Golem
          • Shadowmist : Spectre

The Spectre also has a "Terror" as an attack action similar to dark pulse. Your -3/-1 for fail/pass checks seems a bit strong. I like the "Imposing Spell" magic stunt for this. A failed courage versus scarecrow willpower must move (flee") or defend itself. For story effect I might even make this affect all PCs or perhaps choose targets up to scarecrow willpower. I would take a point from perception and 2 points from dexterity and put them into willpower to enhance this stunt.

And about the shadow's casting rolls. It's either losing a turn to beef up hiding by 2, or simple manipulations with the mist (as in arcane spring, simply drops enemy prone) or shadow dagger, that deals 1d6+1 penetrating damage, which is less then Chilling touch (considering AR).
          That seems like good reasoning. This will speed up the pace a bit as well without needing hit rolls.
          [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Working...
          X