Scaling Enemies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaling Enemies

The enemies in the quickstart game for Dragon Age have 13 defense, 7 armor, and 40 health. There's owls in the game with 17 defense.

The way I set up the characters is I let them buy their stats with 10 points. Every time see an enemy that could potentially swarm the battlefield, I get nervous because their armor and defense might be too high. And when some players choose to have terrible stats for their class at lvl 1, a 17 defense owl is going to evade every roll they make. (By the way, those owls have 1 armor. Why do owls have armor at all?!)

How do you guys scale enemies in your adventures?

As an added question, I'm running Titansgrave with my regular group. And I have a love-hate relationship with it. On one end, I like that my players can role play. And I like that there's a lot of clever stuff going on. But some chapters just feel kinda hard to push onto my group. I've written new things into Titansgrave that made things seem more interesting and fun! I'm thinking about throwing away the Role Play heavy chapter(Chapter 4 I think) in lieu of a crime story that tells the story of how messy the city is while giving you someone to help and a villain to hate.

Re: Scaling Enemies

Originally posted by aweshum View Post
    The enemies in the quickstart game for Dragon Age have 13 defense, 7 armor, and 40 health. There's owls in the game with 17 defense.

The way I set up the characters is I let them buy their stats with 10 points. Every time see an enemy that could potentially swarm the battlefield, I get nervous because their armor and defense might be too high. And when some players choose to have terrible stats for their class at lvl 1, a 17 defense owl is going to evade every roll they make. (By the way, those owls have 1 armor. Why do owls have armor at all?!)

How do you guys scale enemies in your adventures?

As an added question, I'm running Titansgrave with my regular group. And I have a love-hate relationship with it. On one end, I like that my players can role play. And I like that there's a lot of clever stuff going on. But some chapters just feel kinda hard to push onto my group. I've written new things into Titansgrave that made things seem more interesting and fun! I'm thinking about throwing away the Role Play heavy chapter(Chapter 4 I think) in lieu of a crime story that tells the story of how messy the city is while giving you someone to help and a villain to hate.
    First of all, it IS hard to hit a Owl. It's small. It's fast. It Flies. A high DEX character can hit it, something like a Elven Rogue. 17 is a pretty high defense.
    Also, it's simple: the average roll is 11. 11 + a lvl 1 stat (1, mostly), would make a 12. So a 12 Defense is, like, okay. Anything higher can be considered "high". As for armor, 1 to 3 Defense is okay, and anything higher is a problem to lvl 1 characters, unless the enemy has low HP.

To scale enemies i use those guidelines, and adjust it to fit the enemy concept (In my Titansgrave table, i had some humanoid robots that could walk on the walls. I used the normal grunt stat from FAGE and gave it higher defense and lower HP since they were pre-war.)

Comment

Re: Scaling Enemies

Here is a relevant blog post that might answer some of your questions.
      When I was creating the table of adversaries from FAGE and Titansgrave, I created this summary table of bad guys and their defense:

Code:
      Defense	 Proportion of Bad Guys
       8        2.94%
       9        5.88%
      10        5.88%
      11       11.76%
      12       41.18%
      13       14.71%
      14       17.65%
      When I get deeper down the adversary rabbit hole I might add the Dragon AGE monsters as well. Hope this helps in the short term.
      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Working...
      X