Berserker Fix Under 2/3/4 Value Point Targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berserker Fix Under 2/3/4 Value Point Targets

Hi everybody, I recently purchased the Dragon AGE rule book for additional source material for FAGE analysis. WOW it is really really similar. Was not expecting that much copy paste between material.

Anyway, I showed my players the specializations as extra material as they decide what their specializations will be. They all reached level 4 at the end of the major story arc. One warrior player really like the idea of the Reaver specialization, really matched his tortured background story. What doesn't quite work in my fledgling game is the idea of blood magic which is very central in DAGE mythology. However I drew a similarity between Reaver and Berserker and decided to attempt to merge the to specializations using the 2/3/4 value point system I introduced last week with my Assassin Specialization and Pin Point changes.

Berserker Specialization
    • Novice: Berserker Rage - With an activate action you can enter a rage. You gain 2 strength and 2 constitution (health does not increase) at a cost of 2 defense.
    • Journeyman: Battle Momentum - The rush of battle dulls your senses. On a successful attack you gain 4 armor but lose 1 perception until the start of your next turn.
    • Master: Bloody Strikes - For a cost of 1d6 penetrating damage you can perform the dual strike stunt at no stunt point cost.

Notes:
    • Novice is worth 2 points because you gain 4 ability points but lose 2 defense (4-2 = 2)
    • Journeyman encompasses the durability theme that Berserk classes can have. This one might be slightly imbalanced as I am not sure the offset of 1 perception is enough given the usefulness of situational awareness during battle. (More Notes: I also have an idea where perception and strength both modify damage of melee weapons which means the offset may be greater and fair-er)
    • Master: for 3.5 hp on average you get 4 SP without worry of chance. This one was supposed to be like the aura of pain from the Reaver spec except I could not bring myself to write magic into it so I went with a whirlwind like attack bonus.

What do you think? This is built to be as powerful value wise as the assassin spec. Berserker spec as written in FAGE was under powered by a lot. The second talent added a little value on top of existing value. Not really fair (as compared to assassin spec).
    [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Re: Berserker Fix Under 2/3/4 Value Point Targets

Personally, if you gain 2 CON, you should gain the HP. AGE has non-retroactive HP, but I've always felt that was lame. Gaining a +2 to CON/STR tests, otoh, would not create phantom HP.

I would reword and clarify the Master level, as well. Can a 0 SP stunt be used every turn, regardless of rolling SP? Can it be used in conjunction with a normal-priced dual strike?

Comment

Re: Berserker Fix Under 2/3/4 Value Point Targets

Interesting. I'm not sure the value can be converted as simply as that though.

A quick reminder (also for those who didn't read the other thread), in your other thread it was calculated that a value is pretty much worth 1 point of damage.

With that in mind, let's have a look.

Novice: Berserker Rage - With an activate action you can enter a rage. You gain 2 strength and 2 constitution (health does not increase) at a cost of 2 defense.
      Novice is worth 2 points because you gain 4 ability points but lose 2 defense (4-2 = 2)
      I'm not sure, 1 value = +1 damage. But defense is another thing, perhaps you could say the -2 defense equals +2 con (since that's defensive on some tests). But +2 strength is a lot better than +2 damage. At least in my experience players also try to knock people away or grapple etc. where a lot of the time these require strength tests. So not sure if it's a bad thing, but keep in mind that it's as if you give all these tests the bonus of a free focus while raging.

Journeyman: Battle Momentum - The rush of battle dulls your senses. On a successful attack you gain 4 armor but lose 1 perception until the start of your next turn.
      Journeyman encompasses the durability theme that Berserk classes can have. This one might be slightly imbalanced as I am not sure the offset of 1 perception is enough given the usefulness of situational awareness during battle. (More Notes: I also have an idea where perception and strength both modify damage of melee weapons which means the offset may be greater and fair-er)
      4 armor at the cost of 1 perception seems like a no brainer and quite strong. I think this depends a lot on your idea of counting both strength and perception to melee weapon damage. Without this it seems very very strong, 4 'free' armor is a lot.

Master: Bloody Strikes - For a cost of 1d6 penetrating damage you can perform the dual strike stunt at no stunt point cost.
      Master: for 3.5 hp on average you get 4 SP without worry of chance. This one was supposed to be like the aura of pain from the Reaver spec except I could not bring myself to write magic into it so I went with a whirlwind like attack bonus.
      This seems extremely strong and if you happen to stunt this becomes outright insane.
      I take it that if you stunt on this 'free dual strike' that you can't use the dual strike - since you're not allowed to use a stunt twice, but since it doesn't cost any stunt points at all you can combine it with other stunts.
      Now let's say you wield a 3d6 melee weapon, the Berserker spec requires at least 2 strength +2 from the novice rage bonus so you're at a minimum of 4 strength. That would be 3d6+4 (average 14.5) damage to 2 targets (29 damage total) for an average of 3.5 damage to you, and you can do this EVERY round, sounds like a no-brainer trade off to me. The damage you receive is easily negated by the 4 extra armor you gain after a successful attack, unless you're up against all kinds of armor-penetrating opponents
      And if you happen to throw 5 stunt points and combine it with lethal blow it, it would be 5d6+4 (average 21.5) damage to 2 targets (43 damage).

I get your math, it follows your value of 4 with 4 SP reduction and you "even" throw in a penalty of 3.5 damage. But there is a huge difference between a SP reduction and making a stunt entirely free of cost and thus always available.

Then to look at the theme and the core spec.

I prefer the novice from the rulebook; In my opinion berserkers should have some kind of willpower bonus, which this does perfectly - maybe this can somehow be combined or just give the willpower (courage/morale) bonus instead of the con?

Journeyman in the rulebook is kind of bland, +3 damage in melee, it's good but kind of boring. Your journeyman seems a bit too defensive for a berserker and as said, quite strong.

The master I like, it fits the berserker (don't care about getting hurt and wanting to hurt) but it's very strong, since it makes the stunt entirely free, perhaps you can scale it based on the amount of targets around him? i.e. Dual strike costs 1 stunt point less for each target around the berserker to a minimum of 1, so it's never free. (so with 2 targets it's a cost of 3, 3 targets a cost of 2, 4+ targets a cost of 1) And in return you could even scale the damage you receive based on the amount of targets around you aswel.

Comment

Working...
      X