Age of Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Age of Star Wars

after skimming through the contents, i only have one (not really an issue but i want to state an opinion her) thing i don't quite get. Force as an Ability. when i was thinking about this myself, i was thinking Force powers ran off of Willpower and so adding new Willpower Focuses to emulate Force Powers makes a bit more sense, since the Force is only as strong as the Willpower of the one using it.

This isn't really a big issue so much but i felt an opinion needed to be stated. when i playtest it, i will transfer the Force Ability to Willpower. i like the rest so far though. it is really cool. are you thinking about doing other settings such as the Republic Era and even Old Republic? adding to the universe of the game is going to be easy now that you have a baseline right? anyway, keep it up. this is so cool!
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
    [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

Going thru the body of the BETA now

Comment

Originally posted by VladGenX View Post
        after skimming through the contents, i only have one (not really an issue but i want to state an opinion her) thing i don't quite get. Force as an Ability. when i was thinking about this myself, i was thinking Force powers ran off of Willpower and so adding new Willpower Focuses to emulate Force Powers makes a bit more sense, since the Force is only as strong as the Willpower of the one using it.
        Funny thing is, I was considering that myself, although I would be tying in Force focuses to another preexisting ability rather than a new one. The reason being is that Force Powers roughly have the equivalency of spells, which require investment in two abilities to be effective. Part of adding a new ability is a hold over from Age of Rebellion, but it also represents the insight, passion, and innate ability that one cultivates through training to wield Force powers.

I do not fault you at all if you want to tie it all into Willpower. This is especially because I have a level 2 adept at my table right now who is going to be taking the Jedi Knight specialization. Having to invest in Fighting, Force, Willpower, Dexterity, and Constitution means that he has had to spread out his ability points fairly thin. Right now though, it is not much of a problem and he is enjoying the character. It is something I am certainly willing to revisit if it becomes an issue and I looked forward to hearing about your game when you start to run!
        Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

Probably a stupid idea, but here it is anyway:

Perhaps Perception could play a role in Force use as Intelligence does for spells? Reason: I always felt that the key for Force use is perceiving - perceiving the Force, emotions, intentions, probabilities, even perceiving the physical world without the physical senses.

Willpower could then be the measure of the power as in Spellcasting.

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work on this. Between your work and Age of Rebellion, I've been able to piece together a system that I hope will work for my group. As I mentioned in my comments and email to you, I'm running our system WITHOUT Force so I'm open to ideas from this community on how I balance that in the game.

Comment

I would rather folks playtest Force Powers rules as written in the beta but I really can not fault people who want taylor it to their table. That aside, I would roll Force Power focuses into Perception for the same reasons rulandor suggested. It is not only sensible but also opens up the possibility of neat character designs, like the blaster Jedi.

Oh, and definitely NOT a stupid idea rulandor, thank you for the suggestions
              Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Otog View Post
                I would rather folks playtest Force Powers rules as written in the beta but I really can not fault people who want taylor it to their table. That aside, I would roll Force Power focuses into Perception for the same reasons rulandor suggested. It is not only sensible but also opens up the possibility of neat character designs, like the blaster Jedi.

Oh, and definitely NOT a stupid idea rulandor, thank you for the suggestions
                Hey, great minds think alike!

I am currently looking for players to playtest your system.

Comment

Originally posted by Otog View Post
                  The pdf of Age of Star Wars is now live!
                  Unbeknownst to me we have both been working on a Star Wars conversion. I have been working on something that pulls a lot from Star Wars: The Old Republic and it looks that yours takes place between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

Well first let me say your work was pretty awesome and there are definitely a few things I had not thought of (like I love your simple weapon system).

Something I was working on that you included in a basic way was Cybernetics. I took inspiration from Shadowrun and expanded on the Cybernetics as I thought characters who are more support would find these attachments useful. Let me know your thoughts (FYI I am not great with how to price items in the system yet) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Another thing I am working on is building up a ship system for my SWTOR game, not finished with that part yet, but will send it along once I am done. I figure it would give players something cooperatively to save for.

Comment

That is a really impressive list, nice work amillerguy!

So rather than linking it. I thought I would post an update here to share some of the things that have come up in playtest. With six sessions over two months playtesting Age of Star Wars, I have received a lot of helpful feedback and come to some realizations. This week, I wanted to focus on classes; what went right, what went wrong, and some changes I can see happening down the road. To join the conversation and provide feed back, please go to the Green Ronin forums.

ADEPT
                    Baked into Star Wars is the prominence of the Force and Force-users. Recognizing this and while not GMing to the special snow flake status of Jedi, has proved to be somewhat challenging, even for someone like me who do not find them to be all that interesting. Keeping with the recommendation of “one adept per table” still holds true.

Perception and using Force Powers: This was a suggestion that got brought up on the forums and was tested out this past weekend. It worked very well, the change did not trip up the player, it being very easy to equate Perception is to Force Powers as Intelligence is to spells. This will likely be a permanent change going forward.

Force Powers and Force Power Stunts: I was really expecting some difficulty with each individual Force Power having its own list of stunts. I thought it would slow down play or that the player would might come to feel that they needlessly complicated things. Not so. Being able to Force Dash across the battlemat and Deflect blaster bolts right back at stormtroopers proved not only to be uncomplicated but tremendously fun. I may be coming up with a special cheat sheet for Force Powers, since they are relatively few and the player has been using a print-out of the Force Power section of the playtest document as his guide.

Later Level Class Abilities: Many of the benefits the class receives past level 5 are based off of older drafts of Force Powers and How they work. This is more of an errata issue than a full re-write, but you can expect to see a change in the near future.

FRINGER
                    This is probably the class I was the most worried about, as it is meant to do many different things: it is part ranger (which always seems to have issues, if my work on Expanded Classes has showed me anything), part skills monkey, part pet class. However, it has become one of the classes I am the most pleased with. As the player also decided on making a wookiee, the character is a great combination of durability and utility. Only one thing really stands out that requires immediate changing.

Health and Willpower: At level 3, the fringer character has 90+ Health. Despite the prevalence of penetrating damage, this simply can not stand. What will likely happen is that it will become a static bonus, a bonus to Health equal to your Willpower x 2, instead of something that is being added at every level.

Languages: To compensate the loss of the above ability at level 2, the fringer will get a list of bonus languages to choose from, representing how inhabitants on the Outer Rim (like Luke and Rey) are not always able to rely on Galactic Basic when communicating with others.

OPERATIVE
                    I actually have two at my regular table. As I have sometimes found with the Fantasy Age rogue, it can often feel as though you have two players playing the same character, but the distinctiveness in the personalities of both the players and their characters has gone a long way in helping with this. Unlike the rogue, the weapon selection given to the operative is not making up for a lack of damage dice but gives the player options as to whether he uses his minor action to deal out big damage or do something else, such as move into cover. There are a few small tweaks in mind for the operative going forward, mostly to further define certain features.

Deadly Aim (with more fluff): Being able to make full use of this feature is not as easy or as regularly utilized in play. That is not to say that it is not well-balanced, with operatives turn often being a trade-off between the extra damage and other actions that could better help himself or the party. A situation did come up though where the player was able to snipe a stormtrooper and, as the GM, it suddenly clicked that this should also allow the player to go unnoticed. The language would obviously need to take into account certain circumstances where this would not be the case, such as using deadly aim in melee while adjacent to another opponent, but it is something that will be explore with any re-write of the rules.

Evasion and Half Damage on Failure: I liked these kinds of abilities, it emphasizes the hit-and-run aspects of the class. With the prevalence of AOEs like explosives and heavy weapons, this is an ability with far more utility than simply dealing with mages. Whether only taking half damage on a failure will be written into level 2 or later has yet to be decided.

SCOUNDREL
                    Unfortunately, I have seen this once in play and only at level 1. What did come up is the viability of class/species combinations. The player made a wookiee (my tables seem to love wookiees) and did not invest in Communication, meaning that he did not receive the bonus to Defense and had no armor. He was able to make up for it a bit by wookiees simply being so hardy and the bowcaster making the first round of combat absolutely devastating to the opposition. Although the the unusual class-combination worked, I am interested to see what others may show.

SOLDIER
                    Really nothing simpler than the straight-forward combatant. I have now seen this played with one character being mon calamari and an assassin droid. Both played very differently, and despite the no frills approach of nearly no features but with a broader selection of starting talents, it allows great deal of versatility. The mon calamari played more covertly, using range and trying to sabotage the environment with explosives than straight up fight. The assassin droid is a melee murder-bot and has been a lot of fun making Futurama references. I really do not see anything changing for the soldier going forward, but have one point of clarification.

5 Primary Abilities: This is unlike any other class, but represents the variety of ways a soldier can and does engage in combat. There have been a few questions on this, so I thought it worth addressing.

Comment

This week, I thought I would share something that has been very useful for running Age of Star Wars games: a one page reference sheet with some of the common species in the Star Wars universe.

Next week will be another Allies & Adversaries: the Stormtrooper edition.

Comment

Hi,
                        I just wanted to say thanks for doing this. I have wanted a good Star Wars version of the Age system and this is starting to look good. There are things that I believe that needs to be imporved upon or atleast added into the game. A expanded list of cargo/personal ships that people can use/have/buy/steal. No rush on this and I sure this is being considered
                        The character sheet is ok but I have found a custom made Character sheet for Dragon Age that I have used for a campagin. It is a bit larger but its nice becuase it gives more room for more things. http://www.mediafire.com/?izjwyd5otmy Take a look and see if you like it or not.
                        The Language talent is ok but the list of languages needs to be expanded. There is a lot more in the universe.
                        A cool concept would be a organization. Like the members able to start there own gang/ rebel cell/ etc. I would make a great concept with the different groups like the Hutts.
                        Add in some Mando Armor. Prob make it illegal even if the person is Mando. I'm sure there is resources out there the help out with ideas about it being a storng but light weight armor. Also jet packs.
                        Thats all I can come up with. Most of my things are ad-ons and other things are more important like balancing effects but were all trying to make this game great.

Comment

Hey Brutus, thanks again for your interest! To address some of your suggestions in bullet points:

Character Sheet: I loved that character sheet for Dragon Age, used it exclusively through three different campaigns. It is definitely worth re-visiting the design of the character sheet once the first of the final pdf's are finished.

Ships: Unfortunately, I still have not been able to see how the rules for ship combat work in play and my focus has been on editing what is already out there, be it on the pdf or blog. It is definitely something that needs to be addressed, probably in thread of blog posts like I have with Adversaries & Allies, but I would really love to get some playtest information to make sure the rules are solid before writing-up a whole fleet of ships. In the meantime, I would suggest choosing which ship best represents the ship you need and adding/subtracting Maneuverability and Health.

Languages/Species: You are absolutely right, the languages in the playtest pdf are really sparse and that is something that is already being addressed with the re-write. Unlike ships, I feel pretty comfortable with how species work, even if they are different than core FAGE. Due to some requests, I will be including more uncommon species, such as: bathan, cathar, rodian, sullustan. The assassin droid and wookiees are moving to 'rare' species, and are being joined by chadra-fan.

The Linguistics talent will be updated, so players will have a chance to learn all their languages.

Organizations: That would be really cool. This is something I am hoping to tackle with my A&A blog posts though, and not something I plan on including in the final re-write. If you have any cool NPCs you would like to share and how they relate to their respective organizations, then I would definitely be interested in hearing about them.

Armor (and Jet Packs ): Really cool idea! Jet packs are definitely going to be a thing in the final re-write but I intended Bounty Hunter armor to be a stand-in for Mandalorian armor. But I can see now how it could possibly be a lighter version of Bounty Hunter armor, so I am going to add it in!

Comment

Working...
                          X