Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Age of Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Star Wars

I just saw the Episode VII today with a group I have not gamed quite a long time and we are all feeling rather inspired. A while back, Enrique Bertran made a conversion of Star Wars and it would be a great way of introducing this group to the AGE System. I am really glad I saved his playtest document to my hard drive, because all the links I have found to his original work are either broken or lead to previews with only part of it.

In short, I am going to try to update it to the current Fantasy AGE rules based on his work. I hesitate to post his original document on my blog, as I do not know if he received a cease and desist order to do so and have thus far been unable to contact him, but I will be posting my conversion between here and the blog.

Anyway, for starters I am going to post some of the races/species that have most interested me and my potential players as PCs. I have been a fan of providing non-ability-based bonuses for races as you will see below, but as I could be more familiar with the source material (most of my points of reference are from the Ep4-6 and the first KotOR) I would really enjoy hearing your suggestions.

Update: Been busy with life but still working on this. A pdf compilation of all the rules is in the works but probably will not be released until beginning of April. Thanks for all the feedback and support!

Human
    Heroic: You receive +1 Stunt Point whenever you Stunt.

This is the current houserule I have in my more conventional high fantasy FAGE game to represent "humans are good at everything." I feel that this is even more appropriate for Star Wars, since all the heroes (or villains) are human and although they do not excel at one particular thing, they are accomplishing great and terrible things. Some may cry foul that this is OP, but so far, it has been fairly balanced in play.

Chiss
    Vicious: You add +1 to all damage rolls.

I am not really familiar with this race/species, but everything that I have read leans toward the Dark Side. I also proposed this as a bonus for orcs a while back and although I have not playtested this, it seems to fit with the theme.

Mandalorian
    Combat Training: You receive an ability focus with one weapon group of your choice.

Yep, I know that they are more of a culture as opposed to a race/species in their own right. From what I have seen of them though, they are almost entirely "human" and place a high value on martial prowess. Boba Fett was my favorite character in the trilogy and my dark side play through consisted of HK-47 and Canderous Ordo. With how I plan on approaching races, it seems like a good fit.

Mon Calamari
    Amphibious: You can breathe underwater and move your normal speed while swimming.
    Dark Sight: You can you see up to 10 spaces in darkness without a light source.

Mostly this is to replace the Sullustans, who have been in most of the Star Wars conversions I have been exposed to and never saw the appeal (please correct me if I am wrong), mostly that has been Star Wars: Saga and some Edge of the Empire (I was at the launch event but not much since). The reference to spaces is because I regularly use a battle mat for fights. I think the Mon Calamari are far more interesting and their voices are really easy to mimic.

Twi’lek
    Ability Adjustment(s): +2 Communication: Twi'leks are very personable and gregarious.
    Fast: Your Speed is equal to 6 + Dexterity (minus armor penalty if applicable).

I hate giving them an ability adjustment but everything I have read fits with it. Again, speed is taking into account I am using a battle map for combat encounters.

Wookie
    Ability Adjustment(s): +2 Strength, –2 Communication: Wookies are known for ripping the arms off of those that cross them but are not known for their eloquence.
    Resilient: You receive +5 starting Health
    Undisciplined: Any time you are asked to do a Willpower (Self-Discipline) test you must succeed twice, or otherwise you fail.

Again with the ability adjustments, I am not thrilled but it fits with the race/species. I also have one player who wants to wreck stuff with a bowcaster, and who am I to stop him?

For Backgrounds, I will probably do some re-arranging with at least three per social class, such as the: Scrapper, Trader, and Nobility.

As for Classes, there will be three in keeping with Fantasy AGE:
    • Expert: Previously this was the Diplomat, but I am going to try to expand this to a number of non-combat roles: such as diplomats, pilots, engineers, medics, etc.
    • Fighter: Representing mercenaries, soldiers, and stormtroopers, these characters excel at combat much like the Warrior.
    • Scoundrel: Representing bounty hunters, smugglers, and other rogues, these characters will have dirty tricks and other abilities that allow them to get an edge in a fight.

The campaign I plan on running this for is fairly low level, so when I release my playtest document, it will only go up to Level 5 with a prescribed equipment list. The playtest campaign will take place just after Ep 5. Thank you for reading and please leave a comment, as I would really like to hear anyone else's experiences and things I should include in this short campaign.
    Last edited by Otog; 28th February 2016, 09:04 PM.
    Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Re: Age of Star Wars

Looks very good. I got a question tho: do you plan on letting your players be Jedi? I did a Kotor game with Dnd 4e before and I chose to let some caster classes be Jedi (psion, swormage etc) but with the execption that they did not have a lightsaber, just vibro-swords (more or less the ''powered weapons'' from Titansgrave). I'd like to know how you'll deal with what to do with a player who wants to play a Jedi with a lightsaber? By definition, Jedi are highly skilled at combat AND can use force, giving them a edge over other fighters. On the same idea, a lightsaber in FAGE would be hard to replicate, if you try to simulate the ''real ones'' with high damage and penetrating effects without being OP.

Comment

A thought about lightsabers. What if you made a Stunt List specific to the weapon? Maybe have a few tricks that are built into Jedi Specializations, but have most of the neat things that a saber can do revolve around how well you roll.
      DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
      [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=648]Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.[/url]

Comment

I just posted a big update here.

As for Jedi, Force powers, and lightsabers; the intended setting within Star Wars is just after A New Hope but I was considering moving it to just before Return of the Jedi. I intend on making a Force Sensitive talent, but am still working on making Force powers different from magic. Lightsabers can not be bought and are exceptionally rare. Players can work up to one, but this is something that will likely not happen until level 4 or later when specializations come into play.
        Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

Preview for Force Powers.

Comment

Wow, that is impressive! I think you are right on spot with the Force powers: its subtle, yet can be really powerful with the right use/stunt. I love that there's no option to turn Jedi into mage-like nukers. The recharge rolls are a great addition, you know how I hate MP spellcasting. Cant wait to see the Dark Side powers: I need me some Force choke!

Comment

That Force Deflect is really quite powerful. You might want to consider cutting the Defense Bonus in half for the Shield stunt. Getting +5 to your Defense can render you unhittable. ( And since your Humans get a +1SP bonus to all stunts, they're even more untouchable. )
              ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out. I also posted Monday's post early. You are absolutely right, Fildrigar, and I changed that along with a couple of other powers with your comment in mind.

My main question now is what should the repercussions be for using Dark Side Force Powers? As far as I have seen, using the Dark Side is often reflected cosmetically (red-yellow eyes, sunken features, scars, etc.). I would like their to be a mechanical drawback as well and what I have posted regarding Communication tests seems unsatisfactory. I also know that a lot of people have a problem with alignment systems, and would want to come up with something fairly straight forward.

Luckily I have two groups who are going to be playtesting these rules, so I will be getting a lot of in-play feedback and I am sure a lot of things will change.
                Last edited by Otog; 27th December 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Maybe something similar to Spell failure when you fail a Dark Powers test. After X misses, you could take a penalty to communication due to something like a gloomy look or full-on dementia.

Comment

You could look at it as a addiction kind of thing.
                    When you use the dark side you build up 'dark corruption' once they reach a treshold you get a penalty in one way or another, the more you use the dark side, the worse this becomes.
                    Getting rid of this corruption can be done over time, by not using the dark side, perhaps when 'light deeds' are done this can be quickened.

Another way to look at it could be to build up 'dark power' whenever you use the dark side, but to make this very volatile. So whenever you use the dark side of the force, your dark side powers become stronger, but when you use them, you get damage, upto a certain point where you would simply 'blow yourself up' because of too much power. So to prevent this, you can't 'spam' dark power abilities.

Comment

I think it's probably best to figure out some system to use for dark side corruption. With big drawbacks for repeated use. Look at what happened to Darth Sideous. My feelings on the dark side are that I don't want my players going there. So, I personally think having huge drawbacks to using the dark side are appropriate. You might want a darker campaign though.
                      ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

First off thank you so much for doing this. My group would be happy to help playtest this once we finish our current Campagin. On a side note, if you want to get a little crazy with the different species you could add two others that come to mind. The Rodian's (Greedo) and the Sullustan's(the guy co-poilt with Lando). Rodians are more of a smuggler type of people and the Sullustan's are more piolts and mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by Otog View Post
                          My main question now is what should the repercussions be for using Dark Side Force Powers? As far as I have seen, using the Dark Side is often reflected cosmetically (red-yellow eyes, sunken features, scars, etc.). I would like their to be a mechanical drawback as well and what I have posted regarding Communication tests seems unsatisfactory. I also know that a lot of people have a problem with alignment systems, and would want to come up with something fairly straight forward.
                          well, the force is, there really is no dark or light side it is how the person uses it that makes is so. in other games, every "Dark side" power used you gain a Dark Side Point. careful meditation and cleansing rituals are the only way to be rid of them. but the witches of Dathamir are not really evil but use dark side powers all the time. Luke has even used those powers in certain comics. so maybe if you design each Dark Side Power with a certain Test that you must roll, and each time you fail, you take Corruption, which will be a -1 for every 2 points in corruption to resist Dark Side Powers. the GM may assign certain rolls to reduce the Corruption score by mediation or the like. that's the way i would do it, it seems the best way and the most accurate to the genre.

anyway, i hope to see a PDF of a full system of this. this stuff seems really good. keep it up
                          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
                          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
                          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
                          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
                          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
                          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
                          [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
                          [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

There will definitely be some significant drawbacks to using Dark Side Force Powers, what those consequences will be I am still unsure yet. There have been a lot of good suggestions and I look forward to following up on it, but am leaning toward something that merges concepts of addiction and taint with using powers aligned to the Dark Side.

In the meantime, the classes have become a little more fleshed out and a substantial update is on the blog.

As for additional races, the players have been cool with the current selection, although one mentioned maybe making a droid like IG-88.

Comment

A better droid then IG-88 would be HK-47 type of droids. Ask your group about that?
                              Last edited by Brutus210; 3rd January 2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X