Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting Homebrew idea

Hiya,

I was thinking of allowing mages/casters that fail their casting roll to spend 50% more MP for force it into a success. For example, if a 1st level mages fails to cast Protective Winds (MP 4), they can spend 2 more MP to make it happen. I imagine the caster giving up precision and training to will the spell into existence, kind of like a bodybuilder sacrificing form just to move the weight around.

My questions are:
    1. Does this already exist? I haven't had a chance to read all the specializations yet, so I don't know if there's a talent that let's you reroll a casting roll or something similar.
    2. How would this upset the game? Are spells so powerful you kinda of don't want them going off all the time?
    3. Should I allow someone to spend 150% MP from the get go to avoid the casting roll?
    Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine directed me to Modern Age, which has an alternate magic system where you gain fatigue instead of spending MP. I think that might work better for me if I combine the two.
    So spend MP as normal, but if you fail your casting roll, you gain levels of fatigue to make the spell happen. Now I just gotta find what these levels do.

Comment

TLDR;
      1. This doesn't exist in FAGE. Blue Rose AGE is the only rules that have spells that automatically succeed.
      2. It shouldn't given balanced requirements
      3. You could allow it if they have the appropriate focus.
      Longer Version

In the base case 100% more (double the cost) is the addtional cost. The simple case is a TN11 spell with no modifiers which has a 50% chance to succeed. If a spell offered 10 value on success, Under a TN11 chance of success it would be priced at 5, discounted for the chance of failure. Therefore going in reverse, you would need to double the cost to get the value. So if we instead double the MP cost for an auto success, the system is less likely to be abused (assuming the spell is fair and balanced in the first place).

Additional Ideas
      • To balance with other classes, also create a major action that also allows automatic success. The cost of automatic success is 5HP as the effort strains the character greatly.
      • Make the additional MP cost related to a mages spell power. The numbers are based on my research in to the mathematics of this 3d6 system.
        • If your spell power (10 + Willpower + Focus) is equal or greater than the TN of the spell, the auto success cost is an additional 100% MP (double the cost, same as above)
        • If your spell power is more than less than the TN of the spell, the auto success cost is 300% additional MP (4 times the cost)
        • If your spell power exceeds the TN of the spell by 2 or more, the auto success cost is 50% additional MP (1.5 times the cost)
      After the spell power idea it gave me an idea about your 3 point. If you want to have only the 50% extra cost for your game, I have two ideas for a talent called "Focused Spell" which allows you to focus on a spell, making it automatically succeed for 50% additional cost:
      • add a general mage class talent that lets you focus on any spell that you have the focus for.
      • add it as an additional perk of the journeyman level of the arcana. It only works for spells in that arcana.
      For non mage classes, call it "Focused Strike"
      • make a class talent that let's them use Focus Strike on any of their weapon groups that have the focus
      • add it to one of the weapon group talents at the journeyman level, but it only works if they also have the focus.
      Hope this gives you some good ideas on how to add this interesting mechanic to the game.
      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Originally posted by SaveVersus View Post
        A friend of mine directed me to Modern Age, which has an alternate magic system where you gain fatigue instead of spending MP. I think that might work better for me if I combine the two.
        So spend MP as normal, but if you fail your casting roll, you gain levels of fatigue to make the spell happen. Now I just gotta find what these levels do.
        That is a modern age variant based on Blue Rose. If you like fatigue, then to get an automatic success, you get automatic fatigue. You could also swap a fatigue penalty for losing HP equivalent to the MP. Half the penalty if you have the focus.
        [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Originally posted by mdlthree View Post
          TLDR;[LIST=1]
          After the spell power idea it gave me an idea about your 3 point. If you want to have only the 50% extra cost for your game, I have two ideas for a talent called "Focused Spell" which allows you to focus on a spell, making it automatically succeed for 50% additional cost:
          • add a general mage class talent that lets you focus on any spell that you have the focus for.
          • add it as an additional perk of the journeyman level of the arcana. It only works for spells in that arcana.
          For non mage classes, call it "Focused Strike"
          • make a class talent that let's them use Focus Strike on any of their weapon groups that have the focus
          • add it to one of the weapon group talents at the journeyman level, but it only works if they also have the focus.
          Hope this gives you some good ideas on how to add this interesting mechanic to the game.
          I kinda like the idea of attaching it to journeyman level. Gives it that "only people with experience in the arcana know how to overcharge it" vibe.
          I'm lost on what Focused Strike does. The player spends (something) and the weapon strike is a success?

Also, side note: are you familiar with the casting in Modern Age? I'm imagining this fatigue thing like Fatigue in D&D 5e.

Comment

I'm lost on what Focused Strike does. The player spends (something) and the weapon strike is a success?
            Player spends 5HP. The warrior already has related class talents: Expert Strike and Veteran. Maybe a better name is Desperate Strike, to describe the fact you take damage as the offsetting cost.

Desperate Strike: You strain to achieve a strike on an enemy. While guaranteeing a hit, you take 5 HP in damage willing the attack to succeed.

Also, side note: are you familiar with the casting in Modern Age? I'm imagining this fatigue thing like Fatigue in D&D 5e.
            I think in 5e it is called exhaustion. And yes, it is a similar mechanic. Increasing penalties on your character with each failure.

I you wanted to use the fatigue mechanic for the warrior version, then I would say you trade a guaranteed hit for a point of fatigue.

Comment

I don't know enough about the HP per level yet. Is 5 HP a lot?

Comment

If you are running gritty Modern AGE HP rules, then it is like a quarter of your health. If you're running cinematic FAGE rules, then it's a 25%of your health at low levels but falls to 3-10% at high levels.

You could check out the Expanse rules for Fortune Points (FP). They are a hybrid of SP/MP/HP, a catch all resource. In those rules you are allowed to spend FP to improve your dice roll.

Comment

Oof. We're starting to get a bit out of range.

I plan on visiting my FLGS so I can peek at Modern Age (I don't want to buy a whole PDF for just the fatigue table). I'll see if they have The Expanse too.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Comment

Working...
                  X