Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Campaign Building - Speed vs Substance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign Building - Speed vs Substance

I'm relatively new to the AGE system, but not to RPG's nor creating settings for frame work style rulesets. (I have been GMing Savage Worlds for a number of years now).

As I'm working on my AGE of Dormandia setting, I'm currently finding myself at an odd crossroads. As I run a lot of games each week, I'm trying to keep my prep work down by keeping my adventure seeds and world building minimal; relying on in game play to shape the sessions.

While this is working for the players , I am finding I am not enjoying the GM experience as much. Without some decent core prep, I'm finding my games are becoming either very "vanilla" fantasy or a chaotic blur as I work to satisfy player agency and freedom.

I get that you don't want to rail road players, or just play the GM's story, but the more I use the current advice of minimal prep and lean on player input, I feel no investment in the games and I believe it is making me less effective as a GM. I feel a bit like a video game vs a fellow player.

is there a happy medium here? Can the GM have more creative control over the world / setting while still providing player freedom?

​​​
Working...
X