Campaign Building - Speed vs Substance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign Building - Speed vs Substance

I'm relatively new to the AGE system, but not to RPG's nor creating settings for frame work style rulesets. (I have been GMing Savage Worlds for a number of years now).

As I'm working on my AGE of Dormandia setting, I'm currently finding myself at an odd crossroads. As I run a lot of games each week, I'm trying to keep my prep work down by keeping my adventure seeds and world building minimal; relying on in game play to shape the sessions.

While this is working for the players , I am finding I am not enjoying the GM experience as much. Without some decent core prep, I'm finding my games are becoming either very "vanilla" fantasy or a chaotic blur as I work to satisfy player agency and freedom.

I get that you don't want to rail road players, or just play the GM's story, but the more I use the current advice of minimal prep and lean on player input, I feel no investment in the games and I believe it is making me less effective as a GM. I feel a bit like a video game vs a fellow player.

is there a happy medium here? Can the GM have more creative control over the world / setting while still providing player freedom?

​​​
Working...
X