Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

[Solo adventure - no GM] Rescue the mayor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Solo adventure - no GM] Rescue the mayor

I play solo games for two reasons. The first is to test a new system before session one with players. The second to test a dungeon I created.

Three intrepid heroes have been sent to find and rescue the mayor of Daggenberg. According to a witness he was ambushed by Beastkins on the road to the town. Magda the rogue, Farrdim the elf Mage and Pardriss the warrior have managed to follow the evil creature's tracks to a cavern complex.

To find the mayor I will make a clue roll after each encounter. A result of 5-6 on a d6 will indicate a clue. It does not matter what the clue is. Only that I get a success. When the characters have found 3 clues the mission is almost over. The next room will be the big bad boss room where the mayor is held captive.

The dungeon is generated randomly using predetermined room and corridor shapes. The encounters are generated with a «thematic» list I made prior to the session. It contains creatures that would fit in such an adventure. I don't know in which order and how many will appear when an encounter is generated.

ROOM 1
    The heroes go down a flight of stone stairs and discover a 12 x 12 yard room. Two Beastkins guards are ready for them when they arrive and they have the surprise. The charge and attack Pardriss (warrior) scoring 13 damage. One of the rolls was a stunt for +3 dmg. The fight lasted 3 rounds. Pardriss took the brunt of the attacks and he is at 9 Health. Faardin heals him twice (rolling stunt each time) for a total of +18 Health, at a cost of only 4 MPs instead of 6. The heroes feel confident they can continue the search for the mayor.

- Did the battle attract other beastskins for elsewhere? Yes/No roll : 1-3 = yes. 4-6=no. Roll 4 = No.

- Does the room contain a clue to find the mayor? 1-3 = yes. 4-6 = no. Roll : 4 = No.

Last edited by marc c; 19th June 2019, 09:10 AM.
    marc c (also know as shesheyan on other forums)

Beyond the door the heroes discover an L-shaped corridor. Is there an encounter in the corridor? Yes/No roll = No.

Last edited by marc c; 17th June 2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

ROOM 2
      At the end of the corridor they find a locked door. Magda unlocks it. Behind the door there is a 20 yards by 20 yards room. How many doors? Roll = 1. There is a door in the north wall. Is there an encounter? Roll = yes. Roll on encounter table = Two domesticated wolves currently occupy the room. Each of the wolves has its own 6 x 6 yard space. Are the wolves hostile? Roll = yes. As soon as Pardriss enters the room the wolves attack. The combat last 4 rounds. The wolves are killed. Pardriss lost 9 health. Faardim heals 9 health. Pardriss is now at 27 health. Faardim only has 2 magic points left.

- Did the combat attract creatures from other areas of the lair? Roll = no. It is a good thing. The heroes spend an hour recuperating. Farrdim regains 6 MPs.

- Is there a clue in the room? Roll = Yes. The heroes have found their first clue!

Last edited by marc c; 19th June 2019, 05:52 AM.

Comment

The door is not locked. On the other side the heroes find a «Y» shaped corridor. Which way to go? Roll = left branch. As they advance a Beastkin is walking in their direction. He is surprised to see them. The creature is killed in one round with an arcane blast, an arrow and a deadly sword attack by Pardriss (Stunt). Corridors never contain clues.

Comment

This is fantastic.
          What do you use the red beads for?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamK1095 View Post
            This is fantastic.
            What do you use the red beads for?
            Thank you.
            Red bead: To mark who is injured during combat. I'm a visual person. It helps me decide the best «action» to take when I alternate between the player side and the creature's side.

Comment

ROOM 3
              At the end of the corridor the heroes find a locked door. Magda unlocks it. Pardriss opens the door. The smell of decayed flesh assaults the adventurers. The triangular shaped room is dimly lit. The party advances cautiously. Two walking dead emerge from the shadows. One in each corner of the room. Magda is attacked by a walking dead. The other creature attacks Pardriss. The battles lasts 4 rounds. Magda is lightly injured. Once again Pardriss takes the majority of the damage. Faardim heals 9 points and is now at only two MPs. The stench of the undead is too strong. The heroes leave the room.

- Does the room contain a clue? Roll = Yes. The heroes have discovered their second clue. Only one clue left to find.
              - Are there other doors? Roll = No.
              - Did the sound of battle attract other denizens of the dungeon. Roll = No.

Comment

The heroes decide to regroup in the wolves room (#2) before continuing on their journey. Are they challenged during their rest period? Roll = No. Two successful Heal checks and a Breather bring back Pardriss and Madga to optimal shape. After an hour Faardim regains 6 MPs for a total of 8 MPs. They are now ready to continue the search for the Mayor.

Comment

Its good practice to make a map just like for a regular game. My gaming table is only 4'x4' and I have a finite number of tiles to work with. Here is the mapping so far :

Comment

Originally posted by AdamK1095 View Post
                    This is fantastic.
                    Agreed! Subbing and bookmarked

Originally posted by marc c View Post
                    The dungeon is generated randomly using predetermined room and corridor shapes.
                    Could you elaborate or post a pic of this part of the process? I assume you made a list of say -20- room/corridor shapes, then rolled a -d20- to provide the random generation as you did with deciding encounter/disturbance happenstance?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazeryth03 View Post

Agreed! Subbing and bookmarked

Could you elaborate or post a pic of this part of the process? I assume you made a list of say -20- room/corridor shapes, then rolled a -d20- to provide the random generation as you did with deciding encounter/disturbance happenstance?
                      Thank you!

You are correct. I made two d20 lists. One for rooms and one for corridors. These are the designs I came up with within the constrains of using D&D tiles. I also decided not the create rooms larger than 3 tiles by 3 tiles. I could make another list for larger rooms that could be used for Boss encounters to make them more dramatic.

Last edited by marc c; 21st June 2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

ROOM 4
                        The door at the end of the right branch of the Y-shaped corridor is not locked. Pardriss opens it and discovers an L=shaped room with two doors. One on the North wall and other on the West wall. A Beastkin holding the leash of two wolves is near the North wall door. Is the Beastkin hostile? Yes. He releases the leashes and yells something that sounds like an order. Roll for initiative. The wolves go first. Followed by Faardim, Pardirss and Magada. The Beastkin actives last. The combat last for an epic seven rounds. Pardriss barely survived the combined attacks of the beast kin and a wolf. He finished the encounter with only 1 Health left. Magda was mauled by the second wolf and lost half her Health.

Faardim uses Heal three times spending all his remaining Magic Points. Pardriss regains 15 points for a total of 16 on a maximum of 32. Magda regains 9 points for a total of 27 on a maximum of 29.

- Did the combat attract other creatures ? No.
                        - Clue roll : The room does not contain a clue.

The party decides to rest for an hour once again. Pardriss regains 8 Health. he is now at 24. Faardim does a Heal Action on him and the warrior regains another 6 health for a total of 30. Magda is at full Health. Faardim regains 6 magic points. He is at 6 on a maximum of 14.

Time keeping : At the beginning of the adventure I rolled 1d6 to determine how many hours the heroes had spend searching for the entrance to the Beastkin lair. The result was 3 hours. If I add two one-hour rest periods and another hour for exploring the lair, the heroes have spend 6 hours on this adventure.
                        Last edited by marc c; 25th June 2019, 05:52 AM.

Comment

It has been a grueling day. Do the heroes want to take a long rest? Roll = No. Pushing their luck the heroes decide to open the room’s North door. They discover a T-shaped corridor with door at each end. They are uncertain what to do. Should they continue on this path? Roll = Yes. They agree that they can always go back and look at what is behind the room’s West door later.

Last edited by marc c; 23rd June 2019, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Behind the West door of the T-Shaped corridor the heroes find an empty and dusty S-shaped room. The room has no other doors. No Clue roll since there is no encounter.

Last edited by marc c; 23rd June 2019, 06:35 AM.

Comment

ROOM 6
                              The door at the North end of the T-shaped corridor is unlocked. The adventurers enter and find a square room with two recesses. There is a door on the North wall. At first it looks empty but Magda's vigilance pays off (perception 18). She sees a giant spider crawling on the East wall behind their backs. The spider shoot her web at Magda but she avoids it. The spider is dead after three round of combat. Pardriss was poisoned during the combat making his attacks less precise. After a 5-minute rest Pardriss regains the 6 Health he lost during combat.

- The room doesn't contain a clue and the combat did not attract other creatures.

The heroes decide it is time to take a long rest. They barricade themselves in room #5 because it only has one entrance and was not used by the Beastskins. They hope to avoid detection.
                              Last edited by marc c; 23rd June 2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X