Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Creating Vehicle Stats

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
    The scale differential only really affects combat, though, which is why I'm sticking to that. I don't know why it affects your rule's Speed - I think it'd be simpler to just set the Speed and be done with it.

Your scale differentials might also end up problematic - when vehicle guns go for tires, everything will end quickly.

My concern isn't scale. My concern is representing scale with multipliers is problematic.
    True enough - when you're using vehicle weapons against lesser vehicles. Also, a exploding tire is only a problem at high speed. You Can, indeed, go for the tires with a vehicle weapon - if you're at the side at the vehicle, at about the same speed, and still would get a penalty, since vehicle weapons tend to be more innacurate than normal sized ones. Far harder to hit such a small target as the tire. Also, vehicles with guns tend to be massive, and such a massive vehicle wouldn't have uncovered tires. Ins a sci-fantasy game, it probably will not have tires at all.

About the speed, it's simple - when using a battlemat, a archer elf vs. a dwarf warrior in a hovering bike (Scale 2). The archer can move up to 14, and the dwarf can move up to 24. When the archer uses a hovering bike as well, both can move up to 12, reducing the physical space while abstracting the game space.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazuyama View Post
      True enough - when you're using vehicle weapons against lesser vehicles. Also, a exploding tire is only a problem at high speed. You Can, indeed, go for the tires with a vehicle weapon - if you're at the side at the vehicle, at about the same speed, and still would get a penalty, since vehicle weapons tend to be more innacurate than normal sized ones. Far harder to hit such a small target as the tire. Also, vehicles with guns tend to be massive, and such a massive vehicle wouldn't have uncovered tires. Ins a sci-fantasy game, it probably will not have tires at all.
      I understand that, and that AGE needs a factor for scale. My concern would be the actual mechanics used with the bell curve probabilities. You have a 75% chance of getting an 8-13, with a 12% chance of getting higher or lower. Tossing in a multiplier makes certain outcomes nigh certainties. While they may be that in reality, it drags gameplay combat to a crawl. I think I would test it more before actually implementing it. I know other systems use multipliers to affect scaled combat, but the ones I'm familiar with don't rely on a bell curve as a primary mechanic.

IMO, a narrative outcome might be better than a mechanical one. Treating the tank encounter as a puzzle instead of a combat scenario, for example.

About the speed, it's simple - when using a battlemat, a archer elf vs. a dwarf warrior in a hovering bike (Scale 2). The archer can move up to 14, and the dwarf can move up to 24. When the archer uses a hovering bike as well, both can move up to 12, reducing the physical space while abstracting the game space.
      I understand where you're coming from, but I think you might be better off adjusting the scale of the map. A horse and a racing bike would be the same scale, but a bike is much faster. Likewise, the bike would be faster than an APC or aircraft carrier, both of which would probably be considered a higher scale.

Comment

Also, I'd suggest reducing total AR by the original AR value with Penetrating/Piercing damage, maybe having higher valued stunts to account for scale.

EG, a scale 2 AR 8 tank has Pierce Armor used on it, so it's scaled AR would be 12 (2*8)-(1/2*8).

Comment

A horse would have a sheet, since it can act on it's own. But let's think about 2 bikes - both are scale 2, but one has speed 14 and othe other one has speed 10.
          But i do see your point - i will remove the scale factor from the speed, thus adjusting their values. As for weapons and armor, i will stick with scale (worked nicely so far). Playtesting again JAN 2nd, and please, if anyone playtest it lemme know =D

Comment

Working...
          X