Bear Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Warrior

Sorry no flavor text, just had this idea and wanted input on balance and mechanics.

Specialization
    Classes: Warrior
    Requirements: You must have Constitution and Strength 2 or higher.

Novice: First, you must use the Activate action to enter Bear Form. You are unable to use weapons and armor, they fall to the ground when you change, and can’t speak while in Bear Form. Instead, you gain claws and a bite that use your Fighting ability that you are proficient with and have the ability focus in both. You add your Strength to damage rolls, and your claws deal 2d6+1 damage while your bite deals 1d6+3 damage. Lastly, your Bear Form has health equal to Constitution x2 and you must make a Constitution (Stamina) TN 13 every round at the start of your turn to remain in Bear Form after it drops below 0. Any additional damage is subtracted from your health and you can revert to your normal form as a free action.

Journeyman: You can use the Activate action to enter a Hybrid Form. While in Hybrid Form, if you fail a Strength (Might) test, you can re-roll it, but must keep the results of the second roll.

Master: While in Bear Form, you gain the same bonuses and penalties as described in the Novice entry, but you also receive 5 Armor Rating and can perform Grab Attack, a special combat stunt, for 3 SP. You make an opposed Strength (Might) vs. your opponent’s Dexterity (Acrobatics) or Strength (Might). If you succeed, you grapple your opponent. While grappling, you and your opponent are unable to move but you and your allies receive a +2 on attack rolls against the grappled opponent. A grappled enemy can make the opposed test again to break the grapple as a minor action on his or her turn.
    Last edited by Otog; 17th November 2015, 08:07 AM.
    Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Re: Bear Warrior

Have you considered using a lycanthropic race, instead? Quick thoughts:

1) At creation, they choose a trigger. Examples could be lunar phase, emotional, the sight of blood, presence of another race, etc. It should be common enough to be inconvenient, but controllable enough to be a nuisance. In the presence of the trigger, they turn into a large version of their animal form until removed from the trigger for an hour.
    2) At level 4 (or 6?), they gain the ability to transform at will and to resist their trigger at the cost of a minor action each turn.
    3) At level 10 or 12, they gain full control of the transformation and the ability to transform into a hybrid form that retains enough humanoid characteristics and intelligence to use spells and weapons. Standard armor would not fit though (a special, large suit could be made.

In all cases, the transformation will revert after 12 hours, and require another 12 hours before it can occur again.

Comment

Originally posted by dcoughler View Post
      Have you considered using a lycanthropic race, instead? Quick thoughts:

1) At creation, they choose a trigger. Examples could be lunar phase, emotional, the sight of blood, presence of another race, etc. It should be common enough to be inconvenient, but controllable enough to be a nuisance. In the presence of the trigger, they turn into a large version of their animal form until removed from the trigger for an hour.
      2) At level 4 (or 6?), they gain the ability to transform at will and to resist their trigger at the cost of a minor action each turn.
      3) At level 10 or 12, they gain full control of the transformation and the ability to transform into a hybrid form that retains enough humanoid characteristics and intelligence to use spells and weapons. Standard armor would not fit though (a special, large suit could be made.

In all cases, the transformation will revert after 12 hours, and require another 12 hours before it can occur again.
      This may be a little to complicated for the desired effect. As for the Spec itself, I would not use a special Health Pool, just your normal HP. It does look alot like the Shapeshifting Berserker from Age of Midgard, I dont know you used it as a base?

Comment

A depiction of lycanthropy is not exactly what I was going for with this specialization, but what you proposed dcoughler is really interesting.

As for the inspiration, it is an adaptation of a prestige class from 3.5 D&D of the same name. Shapeshifting Berserker was definitely used as a guide, but more in the way of things to avoid. Midgard AGE material is dated back to Dragon AGE, where players could only choose one archetype and the shapeshifting berserker reflects this by mimicking a lot from the berserker found in the DA Box Set 2.

The design goals for the specialization were three-fold
        1. Provide some shape-changing option for warriors.
        2. Do not overlap too much with the berserker, because players may very likely want to have both specializations.
        3. I did not want it to be the obvious choice for all warriors, since most will easily meet the requirements.

I would be interested to hear your reasoning for why it should not use a separate pool of health, is it because it is too complicated? What I wanted to avoid by doing it this way is avoid it being abused to regain health. By having it tied to Bear Form, that extra health is lost and not added to the player's overall pool. It also provides a buffer between his or her standard hit points and the ones he or she has while a bear.

I also wanted it to play differently than the berserker. A berserker has no reason to not go berserk at the beginning of a fight, but because bear form means ditching your weapons and armor, it is more of a play of last resort in exchange for using that extra pool of health.
        Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

Yeah, I get your point. My ''problem'' was with the idea of a Stamina test to remain in bear form. 2xCon (with no armor at first) often means about 6-10 HP, with is low: you'll quickly get to the point of making a Stamina test every turn to be able to use the reason you chose the spec in the first place. What if you miss the test and you are reverted to human: can you use it the next turn? If you do, what prevents me to shift to human then to bear again once my ''bear HP'' nears 0 to avoid the tests, essentialy giving me a perma 10+ Hp shield in combat.

Comment

I apologize, I feel like something may have been taken the wrong way. When I wrote that having two pools may be too complicated, what I meant was it being too much to keep track of for a character whose approach is very straight forward. Generally speaking, a certain amount of bookkeeping is reserved for playing mages and I am going for something a lot more simpler than that.

It seems though that we both have trouble with health and how it's handled. How about just adjusting Armor Rating? Saying that silver weapons ignore half of it could potentially justify high Armor Rating and give it more of a lycanthropic feel.

Another way of maybe dealing with it is by adding a very temporary pool of health. The bear warrior would start with extra hit points equal to his or her Constitution each round, which recharges at the start of his or her next turn. It would give a slight bump to vitality that could maybe help shrug off one or more hits, but not much each round.
            Last edited by Otog; 18th November 2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

How about no health bonus, but a regeneration equivalent to Constitution? I'd say the player can keep his armor rating and a +1 bonus to damage, but gets a -1 penalty to defense due to his large size.

Comment

I like the regeneration idea, much simpler than what I had suggested. I will probably stipulate that it can only be used while in combat to avoid it being abused to regain health out of combat.

Comment

You can always use Guard like in Inquisition.

While in Bear Form, at the beginning of your turn, you roll CONS (stamina) TN 12 to get Guard points, which work like extra HP. If you succeed, you get Guard Points equal to your Stunt Die/Dragon Die.

If too OP, you can ask for a Minor Action in order to get the Guard points.

It's like the Bear Warrior shouts angrily and can ignore some amount of pain, for a while.

PS.: After reverting shape, all Guard points remaining are lost.

Optional: The above happens even when you became Hybrid Form.

Comment

I do really like this! It may require some playtesting though. Fantasy AGE is a lot more forgiving than other systems I am used to in how it allows players to regain health, but it seems like something that can very easily break.

Comment

Why not borrow some mechanics from the D&D 5E Druid's Wild Shape? Here are some ideas, shamelessly stolen from my experience in playing the 5E Druid:
                      • The Bear Warrior gets a special pool of Magic Points that can only be used in transforming into her alternate forms, which in turn, get respective MP Costs to use. This restricts the use of the alternate forms to a certain number of times per day. You can decide if these MPs can be regained with 1-hour rests like the Mage's MPs. The 5E Druid typically has only two uses of her Wild Shape in between short rests.
                      • The Bear Warrior tracks Health differently in different forms. Healing received in one form does not translate into the other forms. Likewise, damage taken in one form does not translate into the other forms. Entering a form (except her native form) brings a fresh batch of Health (and also expends her MPs).
                      • When an alternate form is brought to 0 Health, the Bear Warrior reverts to her native form. If this is caused by an attack, any extra damage left over from the attack carries over to the native form. For example, a 3-Health Bear Form that is hit with 5 damage will cause the Bear Warrior to revert to her native form, and her native form takes 2 damage.
                      • I feel that the tests to maintain an alternate form is unnecessarily complex. Maybe consider giving the effect a duration instead? The 5E Druid can maintain a Wild Shape for a number of hours equal to half her level, rounded down.
                      • Also, dropping the equipment may complicate roleplaying. Who logs her equipment around while she's in Bear Form? Perhaps give the option of having the Bear Warrior's equipment be "magically absorbed" by the alternate form. Whether absorbed or dropped, an item that the alternate form cannot wear/use also can no longer benefit the Bear Warrior while in that alternate form.

I hope this has been helpful. Your concept is very cool. ^_^
                      Last edited by TheGreyWulf; 7th December 2015, 12:11 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Working...
                      X