Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deliberate Stunt attack

Quick idea:

Step 1) You can announce to trigger a specific stunt with your attack/spell/skill roll.

Step 2) You make the roll with an additional penalty equal to stunt's cost (or mabye x1.5 or x2)

Step 3) If you succeed, you trigger the stunt "for free" (even without rolling doubles)
    Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Re: Deliberate Stunt attack

This is quite funny, I was just discussing the downside of stunts with a friend of mine, that being, that you can only do some things if, and only if, you stunt. It's fun you must have a similar thought.

I actually quite like this idea and the cost seems decent although it must not become too easy I guess. So it sort of depends on what kind of test you do and which modifiers you have for those.

i.e. it must not come to a point where you favor accuracy over strength for added damage. To elaborate, if you have high enough accuracy to 'always' perform a penalized lightning attack you basically add your base weapon damage modifier to every attack.

So perhaps in addition to the added cost to the test, there should also be a limit to how often you can do this - in combat at least.

Whilst roleplaying I would say this can always be done, that should not be restricted by stunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
      Quick idea:

Step 1) You can announce to trigger a specific stunt with your attack/spell/skill roll.

Step 2) You make the roll with an additional penalty equal to stunt's cost (or mabye x1.5 or x2)

Step 3) If you succeed, you trigger the stunt "for free" (even without rolling doubles)
      I do something different. They can make an attack that does no damage, and if they succeed they perform the stunt. If they generate SP, they have access to a "normal damage" stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerben View Post
        This is quite funny, I was just discussing the downside of stunts with a friend of mine, that being, that you can only do some things if, and only if, you stunt. It's fun you must have a similar thought.

I actually quite like this idea and the cost seems decent although it must not become too easy I guess. So it sort of depends on what kind of test you do and which modifiers you have for those.

i.e. it must not come to a point where you favor accuracy over strength for added damage. To elaborate, if you have high enough accuracy to 'always' perform a penalized lightning attack you basically add your base weapon damage modifier to every attack.

So perhaps in addition to the added cost to the test, there should also be a limit to how often you can do this - in combat at least.

Whilst roleplaying I would say this can always be done, that should not be restricted by stunts.
        I play it this way:

Stunts are used to apply a "Special effect" to your attack. However, you can do these actions freely as long as you don't attack. Example:

You want to push the enemy down a cliff. You can:

1 - Attack, generate enough SP and use Skirmish to push him.

"With a quick slash, you wound his arm. He looks a you with rage and takes a step back. -that was all i needed- you think with a grin in you mouth. You kick him, and he realizes there is no ground at his back."

2 - You make a Strenght (Might) vs Strenght (Might) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) test to push him.

"You see that he is one step from falling. You run towards him and makes push him with your shoulder. He steps back and falls, only a scream to be heard for some seconds, and soon a horrible sound of flesh and bone hitting the ground."

No penalties, no other rolls, etc.

Also, it generates SP, so you can Push AND make a Lightning Attack if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
          I do something different. They can make an attack that does no damage, and if they succeed they perform the stunt. If they generate SP, they have access to a "normal damage" stunt.
          That's pretty much what I do too; I make "damage" in that case a 2 stunt point stunt, so they can still combine it with other things.

This is only for things like Disarm, Knockdown and the like.

Comment

That makes sense. So you can basically do any 'utility-stunt', or try at least, if you don't stunt it becomes a test without an attack, if you do stunt you can do it in addition to the attack.

Comment

That makes sense. So you can basically do any 'utility-stunt', or try at least, if you don't stunt it becomes a test without an attack, if you do stunt you can do it in addition to the attack.
              For roleplaying purposes, it's all about the order: You can either attack AND disarm, or disarm AND attack. Sometimes it matters, as for deactivating weapon styles.

Comment

Right. Stunts are using opportunities that arise, whereas an action is creating that opportunity specifically.

Comment

If anyone is interested,

I just released v2.2 of my Free-Form FAGE rules and integrated a version of this in them.

Take a look if you like.

Thanks and happy gaming!
                  Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

Working...
                  X