New talent: Improvised Weapons Figthing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New talent: Improvised Weapons Figthing

This is an idea for FAGE I got from reading some of my old WoD character sheet.

Improvised Weapons use DracoDruid's rules:
    1d6-1+X, Str requirement X
    ''IMPROVISED WEAPONS can be anything, from a broken bottle (X=0) to a bench (X=4). The GM sets the MINIMUM
    STRENGTH requirement and adjusts the DAMAGE accordingly''. The STRENGTH requirement represent the object's general structure.

Improvised Weapon Fighting
    Classes: Warrior, Rogue, Mage
    Requirement: Trained in the Brawling Group

You're never unarmed

Novice: You grab the first weapon you lay your eyes on. At the start of the fight, when you roll initiative, you can ready a generic improvised weapon with a Str requirement of 2 as a free action.

Journeyman: You can sacrifice your weapon to save yourself. You can add your IMPROVISED WEAPON's STRENGHT requirement to your armor against one attack. If you do so, your weapon breaks and you cant use it anymore.

Master: You can break your weapon on your enemy. When using the ALL-OUT ATTACK action, you can add your weapon's STRENGHT requirement to damage instead of +1. If If you do so, your weapon breaks (even if the attack do not connect) and you cant use it anymore. You still get the penalty to defense.

Re: New talent: Improvised Weapons Figthing

That's a quite useful talent! Really nice!
    I'll be using it on my table.
    I've made some small changes:

Novice: you roll 1d6 to determine the Structure value of your improvised weapon.
    Just swap STR Req with Structure.

That's cause I ain't using STR reqs.

Comment

Thank you, I was hoping for some advice like yours to evaluate balance. I like to have to option to use things at hand to fight: I tend to play High Magic, Low Fantasy setting where its mostly improbable that every man, woman or kid in every city equips a sword and a leather armor when he wakes up at dawn.

Comment

Greetings!

I just found your post and talent.

An interesting idea for sure!

Would you mind if I would add a similar talent to my FFFA?
        Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Comment

I've used so much of your material, I'd be honored to you use some of mine. Thank you so much.

Comment

I am always happy if someone says they liked my stuff.

So thanks for that!

If you like, please leave some constructive feedback on my FFFA thread if you like.

I can't playtest as much as I'd like, so you guys are really important to the development process.

Comment

Well, we've only just started a Shadowrun game using your FFAGE to simulate the classless system from Shadowrun. Since it revolves around gaining some AP on level up, I also simulate the karma points from Shadowrun with those: I give my player 5/6 karma points (AP) when they level up, but I also reward them with 1 points for spectacular battle, triple 6 and other cool stuff, so gaining new skills/talents/focus is not limited to level up session. I also run with a Cooldown system for mage powers (1 turn for Novice spells, 2 for journeyman, 3 for Master) to replace MP. It works great for most games, for the moment. The only thing that his more ''complicated'' with your FFage is that new players or those who are slow learners find it a little overwhelming to choose from the complete list of talents on level up, it requires more job for the DM to explain, but its no big deal. I also fear that new players will spread their skills too thin, but that's on them.

Comment

My first take:

IMPROVISED WEAPON STYLE

REQUIREMENT: FIGHTING 1 or higher and the FIGHTING (Brawling) FOCUS

In your hands, anything is a weapon.

NOVICE: You are never unarmed. You may treat the MINIMUM STRENGTH REQUIREMENT of any IMPROVISED WEAPON you are wielding as 2 points lower. In addition, grabbing an item to be used as an IMPROVISED WEAPON is a FREE ACTION for you.

JOURNEYMAN: You xxx. You can perform SMASH!, a special COMBAT STUNT, for 2 SP. This allows you to inflict double your IMPROVISED WEAPON’S weapon damage on the attack. If you do, your IMPROVISED WEAPON is destroyed afterwards.

MASTER: You can sacrifice your weapon to save yourself. You may add half your IMPROVISED WEAPON’S MINIMUM STRENGTH REQUIREMENT (rounded up) to your ARMOR RATING against one attack. If you do, your IMPROVISED WEAPON is destroyed afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                X