Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOUSERULES] Free-Form Fantasy AGE

Hey everyone,

I recently watched Titansgrave and simply had to buy the FAGE PDF.

Maybe one or two of you already know my Free-Form Dragon Age, so it might not come to surprise that I had the urge to do the same to Fantasy AGE.

The main idea of my Free-Form rules is to get rid of the rigid class and race templates and allow free character generation.

Over time, I also added a few additional rules and reworked many talents (since they all felt kinda underwhelming).

Well, see for yourselfs, and please, feel free to post any constructive criticsm.

Without further delay:

* Free-Form Fantasy AGE.

* DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE
    Last edited by DracoDruid; 18th July 2016, 12:57 AM.
    Fantasy AGE Homebrew Wiki: Take me to the wiki!

Free-Form Fantasy AGE System: Essentials - Version 2.5

DracoDruid's Fantasy AGE: The Thread | Version 2.4

Fantasy AGE - Revised Alchemy Rules: The Thread | Version 2.0

Free-Form Dragon Age System: The Thread | Essentials

Re: [HOUSERULES] Free-Form Fantasy AGE

Thanks for sharing!

The Armor Training, IMO, still needs work- the categories seem mixed.

Comment

Hey!

Care to elaborate on that?

Maybe also take a look at the new armors. Light and heavy are now called "regular" and "reinforced".

So there is no confusion with the Light Armor Training (no armor, leather, mail) and Heavy Armor Training (mail, plate).

Mail armor benefits from both trainings, being a "medium armor type".

This is deliberate.

But maybe you meant something else.

Let me know

Comment

Oh, nice chance to interact with the guy who made the rules that I use. Well, I use the DA version with red boxes, the one that we're still waiting for the Agent specialization. I specially like the fact that someone thought the same that myself about armor, mainly "why isn't strain the same value as armor failure?".

Maybe you're interested in knowing how people tweak your system? That's what we did: We devised a version with fixed progression instead of total point buy (X points to attributes, y initial talents, z initial focuses, so on) and then we spent some two hours before a game sessions testing both versions and creating different level 1 characters characters to see how long it took and how easy was to assign the points/abilities. While the point buy allowed for greater customization we found that fixed numbers kept more in line with the feel of the rules being much, much faster. It also gave a very positive Savage Worlds vibe to the character creation.

Well, I'm glad to be able to give you kudos. Keep it up, and don't forget the Agent.
        DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
        AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
        AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Oh! Hi!

I am very happy to hear that my stuff is not just for myself.
          I am very glad you like it.

Of course it's interesting to see how people use and tweak my ideas.
          Setting specific pools for advancement sure does speed things up, but then again, is a step away from total freedom back to "templates".
          But heck, if it suits you, why not.

I actually never came around to bring Free-Form DA to an end since I never got my hands on Set 3 (only the pre-release / beta-test).

But when I saw Fantasy AGE, I actually decided to leave FFDA where it was (1.8) and rather modify it for FAGE (therefore being version 2.0).

As you may have already seen, the Agent specialization is gone (for now).
          I thought really hard about it, but besides coming up with 3 totally new abilities/mechanics, I really couldn't find something that wasn't covered by Contacts, Intrigue and maybe Oratory.
          Maybe I will add her later on, maybe some of you have a good idea for abilities?

For all that are familiar with my FFDA, I should point out that I modified some talents and weapons, so maybe take a second look.
          For example, primary and secondary abilities are gone. Making secondary things cost more acutally discouraged branching out and only promoted one-trick-ponies and min-maxer.
          So I got completely rid of it. This makes character creation and advancement just a bit easier.
          I did the numbers and I liked it.

My main problem as of right now is whether I jumped the shark on the talent and spec redones.

I fear they are too powerful now. But as I said, the originals where often plain boring to me.

Well. Again, thanks for your appreciation and happy gaming!

EDIT:
          I was just told by the board-ware that I used too many smileys...

Comment

These look really cool. I might have to implement some of these changes. I will certainly take a deeper look at your Talents and Specializations.

I've made a number of the same changes for my own campaign -- but less concise in the presentment.

CJ

Comment

Hm... I think agent should be a master of disguise, personas and unconvering information. Probably something like PF's Master Spy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/pres...i-m/master-spy).
              DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
                Hey!

Care to elaborate on that?

Maybe also take a look at the new armors. Light and heavy are now called "regular" and "reinforced".

So there is no confusion with the Light Armor Training (no armor, leather, mail) and Heavy Armor Training (mail, plate).

Mail armor benefits from both trainings, being a "medium armor type".

This is deliberate.

But maybe you meant something else.

Let me know
                You had leather in the heavy armor, and there was an identical mail talent in both light and heavy. Personally, I'd recommend dividing completely.

Comment

Wow, this is great! Like a few people have mentioned, armor talents are an issue but it is a small quibble. Mostly, I would like to see the different talents do different things.

I read your note about weapons and will take a closer look later, but right now this looks really playable.
                  Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

I liked this Im going to use it for my next adventure as GM, but I want that my players keep to roll their abilities and let them keep some AP to somehow compensate a bit, How many starting AP would you recommend?

Comment

Following DA template when you point buy you have 10 points to spend, and in FFFA abilities cost 2 points up to 5; so these 10 ability points cost 20 points. Since random rolls is supposed to be equal to point buy then random generating should cost the same, 20 points.

So if I wanted to allow random rolls I would just give them 20 starting points instead of the usual 40. You can give some more if you feel generous.

Comment

The Point-buy method is also in FAGE (Abilities - Option 2), and DiBastet is correct. 10 Advancements for 2 AP each = 20 AP.

But if I may ask: Why do you want them to roll?

Personally, I think rolling abilities (or any character stat) is one of the most unfair things in RPGs since there is almost never a decent compensation for rolling poorly.

You could of course, let them roll, total all abilities per character, and reduce the initial 40 AP by twice that amount.
                        (e.g. Player A has a total of 13 ability points, he reduces his initial 40 by 26 = 14. Player B rolls poorly (7 ability points), and has 40-14 = 26 AP left)

But other than less freedom in char-generation, where is the gain?

Besides, after rolling, can your players still buy abilties with the rest AP?

That would basically mean, rolling poor is favorable, since I have less wasted AP in unimportant abilities.

My 50 cents. :P

Comment

Originally posted by DracoDruid View Post
                          The main idea of my Free-Form rules is to get rid of the rigid class and race templates and allow free character generation.

To be fair, I think the race and class templates are there so that characters abilities and strengths adhere to a certain amount of world logic and are (hopefully) complimentary. For instance, it doesn't help one much for the party to have someone who specializes in ranged attacks but poured a good chunk of their creation points in heavy armor-- or someone who is specialized with melee weapons but to the degree that they didn't take any sort of defensive abilities.

Comment

Some people may want to keep the rolling for stats parts because of either tradition (it is a classic) or to keep some of the simplicity from AGE. As for myself for example I don't give them the full 40 points at first level, but 10 attribute points, 3 talents, 3 primary focuses and 1 secondary focus.

We tried different combinations, like 40 points, 10 attribute points and 20 freeform points, random roll and 20 points, random roll and fixed number of abilities (the 3 talents, 3 focuses and 1 secondary focus), until we found our sweet spot mentioned above.

My wife is an advocate of random rolls because she just finds it really fun and it brings us to old classic times. Of course she whines when she rolls poorly, but she finds that part of character creation a sacred cow that shouldn't be put aside. In complete balance point of view we might take a phrase from D&D char ops that "It increases randomness, and everything that increases randomness helps the underdog. The enemies are the underdog, and so increasing randomness hurts the payers odds", but I don't think that the AGE system cares that much for perfect encounter balance.

Comment

Originally posted by muneshige View Post
                              To be fair, I think the race and class templates are there so that characters abilities and strengths adhere to a certain amount of world logic and are (hopefully) complimentary. For instance, it doesn't help one much for the party to have someone who specializes in ranged attacks but poured a good chunk of their creation points in heavy armor-- or someone who is specialized with melee weapons but to the degree that they didn't take any sort of defensive abilities.
                              Sure, but that's poor choice. But it is choice.

Try to build a human scholar mage by standard FAGE and tell me how it went.

But you guys.

Let's not start to argue whether point-buy or roll or a mix or what not is best or worse (I know, I know, I did it myself...)

Everyone has their personal preference and that is perfectly fine.

Let's just all enjoy our games and have fun.

Other than that, if you guys find kinks or flaws in my Free-Form System, post it here.

BTW:
                              I am no native english speaker, so my question: Does "Free-Form" even make any sense? Or at least in this context?
                              Or should I have named it "Free-style" ?

Comment

Working...
                              X