replied
    Re: Mystara Bestiary Fantasy Age Conversion

This link still not working!

Leave a comment:

• Sketchpad
    replied

Originally posted by TUTTLE View Post
    Long-delayed update to The Mystara Bestiary for Fantasy Age!

https://app.box.com/file/293755732781
    Can't seem to access it.

Leave a comment:

• TUTTLE
    replied

Long-delayed update to The Mystara Bestiary for Fantasy Age!

https://app.box.com/file/293755732781

Leave a comment:

• Zieg
    replied

Omg thank you thank you thank you. I work crazy hours and on the side I was trying to fit in time to convert some creatures while still running my campaign.

Leave a comment:

• Fjw1970
    replied

Originally posted by mbeac View Post
    I'm asking which specific ones are causing a problem?
    Wolf is one. Dex is 2 and defense is 14.

Leave a comment:

• mbeac
    replied

Originally posted by Voneth View Post
    Basically, the comment is about how the final to-hit number or final Defense number may match the way a PC character would arrive at that number via Talents and Abilities.

Some lean to having the math match the way PCs do it and others lean to "that number seems right."
    I'm asking which specific ones are causing a problem?

Leave a comment:

• Voneth
    replied

Originally posted by mbeac View Post
    Hey Tuttle,
    Quick question. I notice some of the beasties have access to spells like Haste and Phantasm. Are those in the Fantasy Age book? Or are you referring to classical edition spells?

Also, can someone give me an example of a monster that has "math that doesn't add up?" I didn't look super carefully, but all the ones I did look at looked very reasonable. Is this just a case of someone thinking a stat should be 1 or 2 points higher or lower? Or is there something there that won't actually work as intended? My biggest desire is for monsters to "feel" right. Since my players will never see the stats and don't meta game the defense scores so if something is 12 instead of 14, or vice versa, they won't be like "oh, they're not armored" or something.

I'm eminently grateful for the posters work and I plan to use it unchanged, but I'm curious what all the fuss is about. Thanks in advance for all who post!
    Basically, the comment is about how the final to-hit number or final Defense number may match the way a PC character would arrive at that number via Talents and Abilities.

Some lean to having the math match the way PCs do it and others lean to "that number seems right."

Leave a comment:

• mbeac
    replied

Hey Tuttle,
    Quick question. I notice some of the beasties have access to spells like Haste and Phantasm. Are those in the Fantasy Age book? Or are you referring to classical edition spells?

Also, can someone give me an example of a monster that has "math that doesn't add up?" I didn't look super carefully, but all the ones I did look at looked very reasonable. Is this just a case of someone thinking a stat should be 1 or 2 points higher or lower? Or is there something there that won't actually work as intended? My biggest desire is for monsters to "feel" right. Since my players will never see the stats and don't meta game the defense scores so if something is 12 instead of 14, or vice versa, they won't be like "oh, they're not armored" or something.

I'm eminently grateful for the posters work and I plan to use it unchanged, but I'm curious what all the fuss is about. Thanks in advance for all who post!

Leave a comment:

• Gobbo
    replied

Great stuff. I am mostly commenting at this point to make sure I get notifications of when you post the next installment.

Leave a comment:

• TUTTLE
    replied

Originally posted by Crit it and Quit it View Post
    I dont think it is anal to notice that the math actually doesn't add up. Considering the math for every monster does add up. but thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Crit it and Quit it
    replied

Originally posted by TUTTLE View Post
    The Coversion was done with math, intuition and common sense It's a game, not homework and open to interpretation and most of all it's meant to be FUN and not an endeavour into analism! But if you get fun from being anal be my guest change away!
    I dont think it is anal to notice that the math actually doesn't add up. Considering the math for every monster does add up. but thanks.

Leave a comment:

• TUTTLE
    replied

I suppose I am just trying to bridge the gap so to speak. One should never be afraid to make changes. But the numbers are there for a reason. Is there an editable version floating around? I honestly wouldn't mind adding in the relevant math fixes.
    The Coversion was done with math, intuition and common sense It's a game, not homework and open to interpretation and most of all it's meant to be FUN and not an endeavour into analism! But if you get fun from being anal be my guest change away!

Leave a comment:

• Crit it and Quit it
    replied

I suppose I am just trying to bridge the gap so to speak. One should never be afraid to make changes. But the numbers are there for a reason. Is there an editable version floating around? I honestly wouldn't mind adding in the relevant math fixes.

Leave a comment:

• Voneth
    replied

First, I would just like to say thank you so much for posting this, the core enemies are not very diverse and this helps a great deal.

Having monsters skewed against the rules is fine, I think it just needs to be more transparent. Like in your example an "armored" opponent gains +2 armor rating. The +2 bonus does not come out of thin air, it is not a special quality attributed to the beast, it isn't an orc anymore, it is an "armored" orc. You are still adhering to the formula, you have just added a special trait.

Challenge ratings are only bad if the system itself is skewed. If the system is sound at the start is incredibly helpful to create what the baseline is, allowing people to tweak an encounters difficulty how they see fit.

I just think a little more transparency would have been useful here. Knowing a special quality is giving it the bonus instead of it seemingly appear from thin air.

I hope this isn't taken in a negative light, This was a great undertaking and it is definitely appreciated.
    I think you and I are on the same page. I was speaking more about the under laying math as compared to tweaking a critters description to cover any changes.

Leave a comment:

• Crit it and Quit it
    replied

Originally posted by Voneth View Post
    But aren't those more like formulas for PCs and more like guidelines for Adversaries? The Special of Armored just slaps +2 Armor on a beast, it doesn't really derive from anywhere. I tend towards look at the final numbers to see what makes an Adversary fit my encounters. It's not a sin, in my eyes, if the related stats don't match up. Perhaps the critter is more or less skilled than he is a combatant.

My fear is that if one starts adhering to what few "formulas" there are, then you start down the road of Challenge Ratings. And with CRs needing to be tweaked anyway, it pretty much turns all that math back into an art, not a science. At that point, one may want to just start with the art in the first place and save time.

So this all sort of goes back to old school compared to new school. Does one design the critter first with a purpose and find tune the results or does one build from the ground up and then rebuild and rebuild until the critter meets your purpose AND the math matches?

As a side note: Numenara tried to design a system where adversaries were a number x3 for all stats and questions, but eventually they had to create lots of critters that were exception to that design paradigm.
    First, I would just like to say thank you so much for posting this, the core enemies are not very diverse and this helps a great deal.

Having monsters skewed against the rules is fine, I think it just needs to be more transparent. Like in your example an "armored" opponent gains +2 armor rating. The +2 bonus does not come out of thin air, it is not a special quality attributed to the beast, it isn't an orc anymore, it is an "armored" orc. You are still adhering to the formula, you have just added a special trait.

Challenge ratings are only bad if the system itself is skewed. If the system is sound at the start is incredibly helpful to create what the baseline is, allowing people to tweak an encounters difficulty how they see fit.

I just think a little more transparency would have been useful here. Knowing a special quality is giving it the bonus instead of it seemingly appear from thin air.

I hope this isn't taken in a negative light, This was a great undertaking and it is definitely appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X