Mystara Bestiary Fantasy Age Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mystara Bestiary Fantasy Age Conversion

Medusa, manticore, and spectre are already in the FA rulebook.

I'm good with whatever strikes your fancy for volume 2 to be honest. I was planning on either going through the pathfinder SRD or the 5e monster manual and doing my own conversions if my group enjoys our test game coming up this weekend, but it looks like you're saving me a lot of work, so thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Maliloki View Post
      Medusa, manticore, and spectre are already in the FA rulebook.

I'm good with whatever strikes your fancy for volume 2 to be honest. I was planning on either going through the pathfinder SRD or the 5e monster manual and doing my own conversions if my group enjoys our test game coming up this weekend, but it looks like you're saving me a lot of work, so thanks!

Comment

It looks like you copied some straight out of the Fantasy AGE book. I am not sure you were supposed to do that.

You have done a massive amount of work here and for that you should be commended, but... I wonder if for some of these it would have been better if you had focused on them more rather than trying to do such a great quantity. For instance, I noticed that Gnolls are kind of lacking on skill focuses and there are a few I would have thought essential (Intimidation, Endurance, Tracking, some weapon focuses) which makes it really weird against the humanoid ones you just copied straight from the book which have a large number of focuses.

Also, I noticed for the Hobgoblin you more or less just took the Goblin and increased the numbers-- but the text indicates you recognize that instead of being an agile, stealth, stabby race they are supposed to be a tough, stalwart, in-your-face race that would suggest that their focus should be taken off ACC and put into FIG so they would excel at using long swords and spears in a shield & sword style rather than bows and rapiers.

Comment

You put a lot of work into this and I think it is great, with a little tweaking I think that it can be a great tool for any GM. However many of your conversions are not using the Fantasy age formulas to establish things like Armor and Defense (TN) for example, the formula for defense for everything should be 10 + dexterity bonus + shield bonus(if they have a shield). Also following the heart of fantasy age, you should use the guide for beefing up monsters and the threat chart both of which are explained in chapter 9. I think this is all great and could be a vital resource if the little issues are fixed and all the fantasy formulas and charts are followed.

Comment

Originally posted by Incownito View Post
            You put a lot of work into this and I think it is great, with a little tweaking I think that it can be a great tool for any GM. However many of your conversions are not using the Fantasy age formulas to establish things like Armor and Defense (TN) for example, the formula for defense for everything should be 10 + dexterity bonus + shield bonus(if they have a shield). Also following the heart of fantasy age, you should use the guide for beefing up monsters and the threat chart both of which are explained in chapter 9. I think this is all great and could be a vital resource if the little issues are fixed and all the fantasy formulas and charts are followed.
            But aren't those more like formulas for PCs and more like guidelines for Adversaries? The Special of Armored just slaps +2 Armor on a beast, it doesn't really derive from anywhere. I tend towards look at the final numbers to see what makes an Adversary fit my encounters. It's not a sin, in my eyes, if the related stats don't match up. Perhaps the critter is more or less skilled than he is a combatant.

My fear is that if one starts adhering to what few "formulas" there are, then you start down the road of Challenge Ratings. And with CRs needing to be tweaked anyway, it pretty much turns all that math back into an art, not a science. At that point, one may want to just start with the art in the first place and save time.

So this all sort of goes back to old school compared to new school. Does one design the critter first with a purpose and find tune the results or does one build from the ground up and then rebuild and rebuild until the critter meets your purpose AND the math matches?

As a side note: Numenara tried to design a system where adversaries were a number x3 for all stats and questions, but eventually they had to create lots of critters that were exception to that design paradigm.

Comment

Originally posted by Voneth View Post
              But aren't those more like formulas for PCs and more like guidelines for Adversaries? The Special of Armored just slaps +2 Armor on a beast, it doesn't really derive from anywhere. I tend towards look at the final numbers to see what makes an Adversary fit my encounters. It's not a sin, in my eyes, if the related stats don't match up. Perhaps the critter is more or less skilled than he is a combatant.

My fear is that if one starts adhering to what few "formulas" there are, then you start down the road of Challenge Ratings. And with CRs needing to be tweaked anyway, it pretty much turns all that math back into an art, not a science. At that point, one may want to just start with the art in the first place and save time.

So this all sort of goes back to old school compared to new school. Does one design the critter first with a purpose and find tune the results or does one build from the ground up and then rebuild and rebuild until the critter meets your purpose AND the math matches?

As a side note: Numenara tried to design a system where adversaries were a number x3 for all stats and questions, but eventually they had to create lots of critters that were exception to that design paradigm.
              Every single monster in both the the fantasy age rule book and the titans grave supplement use that baseline (10 +dex+shield) formula in addition to the player characters, things such as Natural armor or natural magic resistance are added as special abilities or powers but the defense Stat is a static formula just like speed or the (TN) system itself. The special powers in chapter 9 are a guide line for increasing monster difficulty as well as the beefing up monster section gives additional info on making a normal monster tougher, each individual monster has their own special abilities like dragon scales or demonic skin, giving better armor ratings. The entire point of the Fantasy age system compared to other systems is simplicity in everything; hence the reason a 144 page book can serve as both Player and GM guide. There are formulas that they follow so that each monster has it's own identity but doesn't over complicate the game with super complex rules. It is the job of the GM to tailor the monsters for his/her campaign but the baseline monster, the reference material that people use should adhere to those few formulas that makes the game. Converting is a time consuming process, and not an exact science yet but when converting we need consistency we need those few formulas that the designers created in order to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jargogle View Post
                I'd love to see the following classics converted, please:

Ankheg, Bugbear, Cockatrice, a selection of Dinosaurs/Pterosaurs/Plesiosaurs/Mosasaurs, Dragon Turtle, Ettercap, Froghemoth, Gargoyle, Gelatinous Cube, Leucrotta, Manticore, Medusa, Mimic, Myconid, Naga, Otyugh, Peryton, Purple Worm, Roc, Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Shadow, Shambling Mound, Spectre, Sphinx, Treant, Troglodyte, Vampire, Wraith, Wyvern, Yeti, Yuan-ti

Between those you've done, and those above, you'd have covered most of the classics.

- Jargogle
                I'm on it

Comment

Originally posted by Johann Stralau View Post
                  This shit is great.

I used goblins with fly speed as harpies so far, but my players were annoyed by their high DEF and AR.

The harpy seems so much more appropriate. Thanks. Will print this asap.
                  Sounds Great!

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTLE View Post
                    Sounds Great!
                    Agreed, this is a great piece of work. It will be very helpful and save me a ton of work. Don't be bothered by people nagging about very strict rules conversions. The feel is what matters. One could easily manipulate the creature to get a "official" conversion and have the numbers you want, but why bother? What does that achieve? NOthing. The point is to get a monster that operates as intended, not one that is properly rules justified. At least that is the case in my opinion. I eagerly look forward to the conversion of those monsters listed above. I don't expect them though, I want to make clear. I recognize this is a labor of love and am perfectly patient. Thanks again!

Comment

Super excellent work. I appreciate labors of love like this.

There is some fantastic art in there. I'm glad to see you tried to give art credits as it adds to this book tremendously.

These creatures would not capture our imaginations nearly as much were it not for great drawings to add to the raw numbers.

Comment

Wow!!!

Just gave this a quick glance. Amazing!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I will certainly be using this.
                        If someone didn't cry you weren't playing with family!

Two wrongs don't make a right but, three rights make a left.

Comment

Originally posted by Voneth View Post

First, I would just like to say thank you so much for posting this, the core enemies are not very diverse and this helps a great deal.

Having monsters skewed against the rules is fine, I think it just needs to be more transparent. Like in your example an "armored" opponent gains +2 armor rating. The +2 bonus does not come out of thin air, it is not a special quality attributed to the beast, it isn't an orc anymore, it is an "armored" orc. You are still adhering to the formula, you have just added a special trait.

Challenge ratings are only bad if the system itself is skewed. If the system is sound at the start is incredibly helpful to create what the baseline is, allowing people to tweak an encounters difficulty how they see fit.

I just think a little more transparency would have been useful here. Knowing a special quality is giving it the bonus instead of it seemingly appear from thin air.

I hope this isn't taken in a negative light, This was a great undertaking and it is definitely appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Crit it and Quit it View Post
                            First, I would just like to say thank you so much for posting this, the core enemies are not very diverse and this helps a great deal.

Having monsters skewed against the rules is fine, I think it just needs to be more transparent. Like in your example an "armored" opponent gains +2 armor rating. The +2 bonus does not come out of thin air, it is not a special quality attributed to the beast, it isn't an orc anymore, it is an "armored" orc. You are still adhering to the formula, you have just added a special trait.

Challenge ratings are only bad if the system itself is skewed. If the system is sound at the start is incredibly helpful to create what the baseline is, allowing people to tweak an encounters difficulty how they see fit.

I just think a little more transparency would have been useful here. Knowing a special quality is giving it the bonus instead of it seemingly appear from thin air.

I hope this isn't taken in a negative light, This was a great undertaking and it is definitely appreciated.
                            I think you and I are on the same page. I was speaking more about the under laying math as compared to tweaking a critters description to cover any changes.

Comment

I suppose I am just trying to bridge the gap so to speak. One should never be afraid to make changes. But the numbers are there for a reason. Is there an editable version floating around? I honestly wouldn't mind adding in the relevant math fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Crit it and Quit it View Post
                                I suppose I am just trying to bridge the gap so to speak. One should never be afraid to make changes. But the numbers are there for a reason. Is there an editable version floating around? I honestly wouldn't mind adding in the relevant math fixes.
                                The Coversion was done with math, intuition and common sense It's a game, not homework and open to interpretation and most of all it's meant to be FUN and not an endeavour into analism! But if you get fun from being anal be my guest change away!

Comment

Working...
                                X