Fildrigar's Quick And Dirty Fantasy Age Cleric

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fildrigar's Quick And Dirty Fantasy Age Cleric

I am a big fan of Clerics. So, when Fantasy Age came out, I wanted a way to represent the class in it. Here is a quick and dirty talent you can use to emulate a Cleric in Fantasy Age. This is in no way, shape, nor form official, and is not even playtested. ( Yet. )

Cleric Talent
    Classes: Mage
    Requirements: Can only be taken at first level. Healing Arcana must be one of your Arcana choices. Either Heroic, Fate, or Divination Arcana must be your second choice.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Novice: Add Weapon Group Bludgeons. Reduce the Strain cost for casting in armor while using Healing, Heroic, Fate, and Divination Arcana by 2.

Journeyman: Reduce the Strain cost for casting in armor while using Healing, Heroic, Fate, and Divination Arcana by 4. Reduce the Strain cost for casting other Arcana by 1.

Master: There is no Strain cost for casting in armor while using Healing, Heroic, Fate, and Divination Arcana. Reduce the Strain cost for casting other Arcana by 2. You are allowed to take the Armor Training Talent.

Thoughts:
    I didn't want this talent to end up being a way to get a super blasty armored Mage, so I limited the Strain reduction mostly to Cleric themed Arcana. I wanted to find a way to rebrand Arcane Blast to emulate a D&D Clerics turn undead ability, but that felt like it would end up leaving the class underpowered. I will be testing this build out in a game soon. I am concerned that the Strain reduction may be too much.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Re: Fildrigar's Quick And Dirty Fantasy Age Cleric

I like it! Quick and easy. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to add a boost to healing magic or Chirurgy tests? Something like +d3 when healing others or yourself at Novice and then +1d6 and +2d6 at Journeyman and Master?

Comment

Originally posted by dbacon1975 View Post
      I like it! Quick and easy. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to add a boost to healing magic or Chirurgy tests? Something like +d3 when healing others or yourself at Novice and then +1d6 and +2d6 at Journeyman and Master?
      No, there is a specialization ( Miracle Worker ) that adds to the amount of healing done. And since my Cleric Talent is not a specialization, that can be taken too, by a dedicated healer. I could see adding a bonus to Chirurgy tests, but the talent already feels like it's pretty good, and not in need of any additional bonus.

Comment

Make's sense. I forgot about the miracle worker specialization.

Comment

Interesting. I'd suggest a different name for the talent than "Person who can read and write", though, but that's my pet peeve, not yours.
          Check out my new super hero/science fiction novel, [url=https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/618254]Unbelievable: A Tale of the Exotica Chronicles[/url].

Comment

I like it, it gives people a reason to try out being the healer

Comment

Originally posted by Davies View Post
              Interesting. I'd suggest a different name for the talent than "Person who can read and write", though, but that's my pet peeve, not yours.
              Priest, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                Priest, maybe?
                I actually like the word "cleric," as priest for me implies a holy guy or gal in robes. Maybe warpriest or templar if folks are still interested in changing the name?
                Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

I put up a class conversion on my blog www.keendice.com but now that I've seen this talent I may have to offer it as an option.

Comment

Play an orc.

Take Earth/Healing arcana.

You got a cleric right there. :P

Comment

I was also curious if the "can only be taken at 1st level" to represent different archetypes or character concepts is going to be design trend going forward for Fantasy Age products?

Also, I just noticed your comment about arcane blast. I think it is a great opportunity to add diversity and show the influence of different faiths, since the selection of arcana are somewhat limiting. For example, a cleric of a deity with the sun domain could spend MP to do 2d6 damage to undead with an arcana blast or a cleric of a deity of chaos could spend MP if the arcane blast hits the creature takes a penalty to Defense, AR, opposed tests or whatever equal to the Stunt Die.
                      Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Comment

I like it, but I'd remove the "at first level" requirement, probably make it a specialization with the requirements: Willpower (Faith) focus, and any two of the following arcana; Healing, Heroic, Divination, or Fate.

Or at minimum, if you really want it to be a talent rather than a specialization, remove the at first level requirement as there is no precedence for it in FA, remove the mandatory Healing Arcana and required second arcana choice and replace with
                        The requirements: either Willpower (Faith) focus (my choice) or just Willpower 2, and one of the following arcana; Healing, Fate, Heroic, or Divination. I'd also rename it to something else since no other talent in the book has a title as the name. Maybe something like... Divine Training.

Otherwise, the way you have it, you remove pretty much all choice from the beginning Mage who, of you have a Sun or Fire God in your world, may want to have Fire Arcana to represent that.

Comment

Originally posted by Maliloki View Post
                          I like it, but I'd remove the "at first level" requirement, probably make it a specialization with the requirements: Willpower (Faith) focus, and any two of the following arcana; Healing, Heroic, Divination, or Fate.

Or at minimum, if you really want it to be a talent rather than a specialization, remove the at first level requirement as there is no precedence for it in FA, remove the mandatory Healing Arcana and required second arcana choice and replace with
                          The requirements: either Willpower (Faith) focus (my choice) or just Willpower 2, and one of the following arcana; Healing, Fate, Heroic, or Divination. I'd also rename it to something else since no other talent in the book has a title as the name. Maybe something like... Divine Training.

Otherwise, the way you have it, you remove pretty much all choice from the beginning Mage who, of you have a Sun or Fire God in your world, may want to have Fire Arcana to represent that.
                          It does limit your choices st first level, but that's part of my goal here. It's limited because it's quite powerful. There aren't any other talents that reduce Strain, which is an integral limiting aspect of the Mage class. I didn't want to write a whole new class, just give people a Quick and Dirty way to play as a Cleric type.

Comment

The Cleric Talent can only be taken at first level, this means that this talent is added to the list of Mage starting talents (Chirurgy, Linguistics, or Lore) ?

Comment

Working...
                            X