Fantasy AGE Aboleth – Primal and Titansgrave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy AGE Aboleth – Primal and Titansgrave

When doing conversions like this I like to use the Aboleth for a few different reasons.
    • The odd ball mechanics are a good exercise in noodling out how to do such things in a new system
    • The Psionics abilities force me to sit down and study the magic system of a game
    • When successfully finished, I have a solid, creepy mastermind race that’s dangerous enough to be a threat at the end of a campaign but has the in-story excuse to have the resources and minions to be felt as a danger on day one of a game.
    • It’s one of the first monsters you find in the MM.
    Based on the assumption that the FAGE dragon is the equivalent of a Challenge 10 Young dragon and, depending on the edition of D&D, an Aboleth can range from 7 to 10. So on that note, an Aboleth should be at most equal to the FAGE dragon in some physical characteristics, while outpacing it in supernatural abilities.

So first up, the easy stuff:
    Aboleth - Primal

3 Accuracy (Tentacle)
    2 Communication (Bargaining, Deception, Persuasion)
    5 Constitution (Swimming)
    1 Dexterity
    2 Fighting (Tail Bash)
    2 Intelligence (Arcana – Water), Arcane Lore)
    2 Perception (Searching)
    5 Strength (Intimidation)
    3 Willpower (Self-Discipline)

Speed Health Defense Armor Rating
    6 (12 swim) 75 12 7

Weapon Attack Roll Damage
    Tentacle +5 1d6+5
    Tail Bash +4 2d6+1

Special Qualities
    Spell Power: 16

Arcana known: Water, Arcane, Fate (Puppets of Fate only)
    MP:79

Favored Stunts: Knock Prone, Mighty Blow, Mucus Cloud (2 SP), Enslave
    Mucus Cloud: An aboleth in the can squirt a mucus coating onto a victim as a special stunt costing 2 SP. The coating bio-kinetically transforms the victim’s lungs into water-breathing organs for the next 1d6-1 hours. The victim instinctively knows that it needs to breath in a body of water to stop the suffocation. Ideally for the aboleth, that body of water is its aquatic home where it has the advantage. In the body of water, the suffers a –3 penalty to Dexterity, Fighting, and Accuracy as they try to fight underwater.
    Victims who stay in the air during this effect must make a Constitution (Stamina) test vs. your Spellpower, taking 1d6 + Willpower penetrating damage on a failure.

Tentacle and Tail Flail: A cornered aboleth is desperate enough to flail at its enemies. It can attack with a both a tentacle and Tail Bash as a single major action. Both attacks can generate stunt points.

Aquatic: The monster gains the ability to breathe underwater and can swim equal to its normal Speed. It also suffers no penalties for moving, attacking, or otherwise operating underwater.

Spell Stunt (Enslave): The aboleth can open its mind and force opponents to do things before they realized the damage is done. Imposing Spell can be spent at -1 SP.
    Threat: Dire
    The SQ was, of course, the hardest part. So far in FAGE, we don’t have any examples of magic using adversaries yet, never mind ones who can project psionics and illusions . I tend to favor slight tweaks and “close enough is good enough” with my home brews. I realized a long time ago, it’s more important to ask “What was the designer trying to accomplish here” as compared to “Do the raw numbers look right.”

I’m sure that I’ve went overboard in one area and underboard on another. But it will work if I’m willing to fudge things behind the screen.

In my own head canon (but not in my head cannon), I see Titansgrave as the “Eberron” of FAGE, in that “anything you can find in D&D (with the serial numbers filed off), you can find here.” So the Aboleth exist in some form in the dark corners of Valkana.
    In addition to that, I always felt that most official D&D editions fell short giving the Aboleth their true potential as masterminds within their monstrous entry. Though Forgotten Realm fiction and 3rd party products covered that.

So with that in mind, it turns out that the energies released up on [REDATED]’s death awoke ancient beings that have not opened their sightless eyes since the early days of the first Saurian Empire.
    Arborealtha
    AKA: Flying Terrors, Sky Masters, Ice Kings
    As one of the most ancient races, the Arborealtha
    were already a declining, lethargic race when the Saurains and Elves were still banging twigs together to make fire to survive their pre-historic ice age.

The slow fading of certain energies that could sustain the Arborealtha magitech as well as rising temperatures that made them sluggish, forced the race to high and cold corners of the world so they could hide and hibernate until the world felt more like the cold comfort they once enjoyed among the stars.

For these beings, this was no great cause for alarm. Being immortal and never needing sleep, they saw these “short” times of inconvenience as a chance to slumber and reminisce amongst themselves in their own racial psionic network. When the energies and ice came back, alliances and plans would already be formed.

The recent release of certain energies, that time has come earlier than expected. Their machines now work, but Valkana’s geological summer forces them to stay in colder climes. Frustrated not only by their lack of territory but by also the vitality and ubiquitousness of the lesser creatures, the ancient race has adjusted their plans.

If they can’t rule in person, then they will rule Valkana by proxy.

Arborealtha
    3 Accuracy (Tentacle, Bio-Magitech)
    2 Communication (Bargaining, Deception, Persuasion)
    5 Constitution (Flight)
    1 Dexterity (Crafting)
    2 Fighting (Tail Bash)
    2 Intelligence (Arcana – Air), Arcane Lore, Knowledge (Bio-Magitech)
    2 Perception (Searching)
    5 Strength (Intimidation)
    3 Willpower (Self-Discipline)

Speed Health Defense Armor Rating
    6 (12 Fly) 75 12 7

Weapon Attack Roll Damage
    Tentacle +5 1d6+5
    Tail Bash +4 2d6+1

Special Qualities
    Spell Power: 16
    Arcana known: Water, Arcane, Air
    MP:79
    Favored Stunts: Knock Prone, Mighty Blow, Mucus Cloud (2 SP), Enslave (-1 SP)

Bio-Magitech: An Arborealtha lair is usually a cave filled with twisting curves and strange items that only respond to the tentacles and thoughts of that ancient race. Working off a mix of magic, science and biology, these items produce results very similar to blasters and computers without the need for batteries. Along with rare items that are more akin to magic items like the psionic slave collars.

Of these, a slave collar is the most insidious. Easily hidden, the thin metal ring allows for global mental communication with an Arborealtha and its minion. The frequencies are tweaked, however, to give an additional +2 bonus to the Arborealth’s Communication bonus. It’s unknown how many collars can be controlled by one Arborealtha at a time.

Currently, the race is mass-producing the collars and waiting for the opportunity to capture and create their first wave of minons.

Tentacle and Tail Flail: A cornered aboleth is desperate enough to flail at its enemies. It can attack with a both a tentacle and Tail Bash as a single major action. Both attacks can generate stunt points.

Spell Stunt (Enslave): While manipulating mystical energies, an Arborealtha can open its mind and force opponents to do things before they realized the damage is done. Imposing Spell can be spent at -1 SP.

Threat: Dire
    There we go, something that hints at the further mythology of the setting, offers a twist on a classic, brings the monster more in line with current FAGE rules and provides a mechanical framework to explain how they can achieve world domination. ... maybe.

[UPDATE]
    Incorporating feedback back into both stat blocks.
    Last edited by Voneth; 3rd August 2015, 08:15 PM.

Re: Fantasy AGE Aboleth – Primal and Titansgrave

The Attack Roll bonuses are incorrect. Accuracy 3 and focus is +5, Fighting 2 and Focus is +4.

And right now, there isn't really any reason to use the tail bash. The chance to hit is lower, and the damage too, and there is no stunt that lets the creature get an additional tail bash but not a tentacle attack.
    “Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.”

Working on the Ancient Lands campaign setting for Fantasy Age.
    Spriggans Den - RPGs and Sword & Sorcery

Comment

Re: Fantasy AGE Aboleth – Primal and Titansgrave

Originally posted by Yora View Post
      The Attack Roll bonuses are incorrect. Accuracy 3 and focus is +5, Fighting 2 and Focus is +4.

And right now, there isn't really any reason to use the tail bash. The chance to hit is lower, and the damage too, and there is no stunt that lets the creature get an additional tail bash but not a tentacle attack.
      Thanks. That's what I get for writing up this post as I bounce around two PDFs at 2 in the morning.

Comment

Working...
      X