Dragon Age 4 Announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dragon Age 4 Announced

I've made these predictions elsewhere online, but they make sense to include here:

--Much of the action will take place in Tevinter (we know that much already), but we'll also have excursions to Seheron, the Anderfels, at least one city in the Free Marches, Kal-Sharok, and either Rivain or a Qunari-occupied territory.

--Origins will make a return, likely with the following as options: Human mage (effectively the nobility), Human rogue/warrior (likely a military post, potentially as a mercenary), elf (likely starting as a slave or newly liberated slave), dwarf (to introduce Kal-Sharok), and Tal-Vashoth qunari (to introduce Seheron).

--Much of the game will center upon the impending collapse of the Tevinter Imperium. The Qunari mount an all-out offensive (for the first time in ages), as the Imperium attempts to put down a massive slave rebellion led by none other than The Dread Wolf. In the meanwhile, though, red lyrium starts making more appearances and rumors of a new Blight start emerging.

--One of the early-game missions will take us to Weisshaupt, where we'll become involved in Grey Warden politics. Much as with other games, our actions will end up influencing the choice of a leader: probably whoever will become the First Warden. Our reward for this will be one of the few living griffons, which will become our fast-travel method for the bulk of the game.

--Kal-Sharok will give us our first glimpse of a new dwarven society and our largest leads in terms of the origins of red lyrium. We'll end up meeting up (and possibly liberating) Shaper Valta from a thaig in the Kal-Sharok vicinity; she'll then become a party NPC--the first playable dwarven mage character.

--Our PC will be given the title "The Liberator" based on the events of the first half of the game, as we participate in the slave-rebellion. For much of the first half of the game, The Dread Wolf will be something of an ally, but by mid-game, his true motives will come to light (i.e., tearing down the Veil, ending all life on Thedas to restart the world). By mid-game, Solas/Fen'Harel will be our outright enemy.

--Much to the chagrin of Solavellan fans everywhere, there will be no real option to redeem Solas. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Solas kill our pseudo-retired Inquisitor over the course of the game.

--The Inquisitor will make an appearance, much in the line of Hawke did in DA:I. They'll feature in one major quest line (likely one centering on learning Solas' motives or on the appearance of red lyrium in Tevinter), before being either killed or otherwise incapacitated.

--Dorian will serve as a primary point of contact throughout much of the game, particularly when navigating the Magisterium. He won't be playable, but he'll be featured in a number of places.

--Sorry gang. No mabari. Doesn't make sense, given the location for the game. Puppies are a Ferelden thing.

--Scout Harding will be a playable character this time out (a dwarven rogue, naturally), serving as our primary point of contact with the remnants of the Inquisition.

--Fenris will also make an appearance, likely as a playable character. He'll also serve as our introduction to the conflicts on Seheron.

--Expect to see at least a few of the comics-based characters as playable NPCs; my money is on Vaea (the sole f/f exclusive romance) and Maevaris (who will flirt with everyone, but not be romancable).

--The final confrontation with Solas will take place in fallen Arlathan (which, despite all appearances, is *not* the Black/Golden City--rather, the Black/Golden City is a spirit-reflection of the memories of Arlathan, and doesn't tangibly exist). Solas will be attempting to extract the Evanuris essence from a slumbering Old God, in an attempt to bring back one of his few remaining peers, in the hopes that they'll help him restore elvhen civilization. This will fail spectacularly, in no small part due to our party's intervention.

--Set-up for the next game comes primarily from the repercussions of Solas' efforts: even as we destroy/incapacitate/imprison the Old God/Evanuris that Solas tries to raise, the final Old God awakens elsewhere. Dragon Age 5, then, becomes centered on the final Blight.

--Expansions for DA4 will include a 'pirate-themed' mini-campaign, wherein Isabela will make her obligatory appearance, and a mini-campaign centered on an infiltration of Par Vollen. The final DLC will be a return to Kirkwall, which will answer (and raise) a number of questions on red lyrium, as well as the Enigma of Kirkwall.

--Multiplayer will likely make a reappearance in some vestigial form, though the "live elements" will appear through in-game events (qunari invading certain areas of the map, darkspawn outbreaks in various areas, etc.) which will utilize pseudo-procedurally generated dungeons to offer new types of loot and new enemy types.

Comment

Interesting to read people's thoughts about what they're expecting. Regarding ex-companions, all I'd add is that I suspect we'll see Shale again, as well as (hopefully) Tallis - Oghren might even pop up in Weishaupt!

A plot thread I think might be carried over from DA 2 is that of Feynriel the Somniari (or an alternative NPC, choice depending) - one of his possible fates was to end up in Tevinter.

Comment

Tallis was mentioned in one of the notes during Trespasser, unless I'm wrong.
        It'd make sense that she'd be up to something, but I don't think they'd bring Felicia Day back just for that.

Shale could be a lot of fun, especially if my theory about Valta is true. It'd be neat to see those two bounce off of one another...

Comment

I do not know how DA4 will play out, but I do hope it ends with the beginning of a new Blight.
          The Untouchable, the Avenger.

Comment

So, HERE's some interesting news on DA4's development cycle.

It's frustrating that the Joplin build seems to have been (at least partially) abandoned; their description here sounded like much of what I'd be hoping for:

You’d play as a group of spies in Tevinter Imperium, a wizard-ruled country on the north end of Dragon Age’s main continent, Thedas. The goal was to focus as much as possible on choice and consequence, with smaller areas and fewer fetch quests than Dragon Age: Inquisition. (In other words, they wanted Joplin to be the opposite of the Hinterlands.) There was an emphasis on “repeat play,” one developer said, noting that they wanted to make areas that changed over time and missions that branched in interesting ways based on your decisions, to the point where you could even get “non-standard game overs” if you followed certain paths.

A large chunk of Joplin would center on heists. The developers talked about building systemic narrative mechanics, allowing the player to perform actions like persuading or extorting guards without the writers having to hand-craft every scene. It was all very ambitious and very early, and would have no doubt changed drastically once Joplin entered production, but members of the team say they were thrilled about the possibilities.

Hopefully at least some of that material got rolled over into the Morrison build and we'll be able to have a worthwhile experience. It definitely seems like the intent centers on the remnants of the Inquisition, operating in Tevinter. I'm a little concerned at the "Anthem with dragons" comment, but if it's more of an aesthetic thing, I think that's not necessarily a bad thing. Anthem may be a middling loot-shooter, but damned if it's not gorgeous. And, if my "griffon as fast travel" prediction comes true, the flying mechanics in Anthem seem like a natural fit.

Hopefully this article will spur EA/Bioware into providing a little more news soon...
            Last edited by PlatinumWarlock; 04-10-2019, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I gotta be honest... Given the shitshow that was Mass Effect: Andromeda's and Anthem's development cycles, and the reception of each, I'm not hopeful that we'll get a Dragon Age video game that's truly worthy of the name.

Don't get me wrong - I really hope that Casey Hudson and his cadre can resist EA's corporate mandates to make a game too much like Anthem, in that it's a stripped down, pale imitation of what BioWare is historically known for producing and capable of producing without interference from EA. But without much of the core team working full-time on DA4, and with the loss of the soul of the creative team for the franchise (David Gaider, Mike Laidlaw, James Ohlen) I highly doubt that the next Dragon Age game will feel 'right', in the same way that ME3 didn't feel the same as ME2 (referring to the single-player component, never mind the bolted-on multiplayer module).

One bad game (Andromeda) is a run of bad luck. Two sub-par games begins to look like a trend.

I'd be pleased as punch to be proven wrong.
              "It's time to go with plan B."
              "What's plan B?"
              "Plan B is plan A, with explosives."

Comment

I really have a hard time believing that everything from Joplin was scrapped; that's a lot of man-hours, a lot of effort and coding, a lot of writing and story development that would be left on the cutting room floor.

Frankly, I'd just like to see DA being made any sort of priority. I get that Anthem is the new hotness (and a potential cash cow), but it's a crowded market for that sort of game and a middling entry isn't going to make a dent in the market there. Meanwhile, DA:I won a pile of "Game of the Year" awards and has a rabid, built-in fanbase. It may not quite have the broad market appeal, but it's certainly stronger than an untested IP.

There was an interview a while ago, however, with some of the EA execs that basically said, "Look, we know that Anthem is a new IP. Our expectations for it are pretty financially conservative. Its success or failure is sheltered enough that it's not going to impact the rest of the studio and other projects in development." Whether that bears out or not, we'll see. But, at least, it's something foremost in their minds.

Comment

I am hoping that it will turn back toward dragon age origins in design. Origins was great, 2 was ok, inquisition was poor.

Comment

Originally posted by silverthorne View Post
                    I am hoping that it will turn back toward dragon age origins in design. Origins was great, 2 was ok, inquisition was poor.
                    You're...in a small minority on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by PlatinumWarlock View Post
                      You're...in a small minority on that one.
                      Agreed. While Inquisition was nowhere near as consistent in its executed vision as Origins (IMHO), it was still a damned sight better than 2.
                      "It's time to go with plan B."
                      "What's plan B?"
                      "Plan B is plan A, with explosives."

Comment

I'll be the first to admit that Inquisition has its issues--shard collection and other collectibles, large empty areas, an absent villain for much of the game--It's still my preferred game of the three.

I've recently been watching through some playthroughs of DA:O/Awakening and DA2 on the Codex Added Youtube channel, and I honestly can't believe I ever managed to slough through the UI issues and byzantine mechanics found in DA:O. DA2's combat was a massive overcompensation, but Inquisition hits that lovely middle ground between tactical and real-time that keeps me coming back.

I liked 2 better than Origins, as well, though, but I'm a sucker for a tragedy over the traditional hero narrative.

Comment

Working...
                        X