• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Age 4 Announced

The countdown begins...

Check out the teaser HERE

Re: Dragon Age 4 Announced

I think it's still a couple of years away, but I'm eagerly anticipating it.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

I saw this last night. Super excited. May the Dread Wolf take you.
      Last edited by Alurvelve; 22nd December 2018, 08:10 PM.
      The Untouchable, the Avenger.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2020 release. 2019 is pushing it, considering that Anthem comes out in February. Bioware's blog entry seemed to insinuate that even as Casey Hudson was heading up Anthem's development, there was a set of Bioware employees who were devoted specifically for DA4 exclusively.

Either way, whenever it comes out, I'm gonna go upside Solas and his egg-head like none other. #elfmageovereasy

Comment

I hate to even say this, but I wish some other company else would handle the license for Dragon Age at this point. I've been a devout supporter since the first box set, but the snails pace of material in support of this line and beautiful game world is really terrible. We've had Dragon Age: Inquisition go by with nary any product to support. Faces of Thedas was announced about 4-5 years ago and still doesn't have a release date. I see lots of other products and licenses announced by Green Ronin the past few years and nothing for this line in the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by BytomMan View Post
            I hate to even say this, but I wish some other company else would handle the license for Dragon Age at this point. I've been a devout supporter since the first box set, but the snails pace of material in support of this line and beautiful game world is really terrible. We've had Dragon Age: Inquisition go by with nary any product to support. Faces of Thedas was announced about 4-5 years ago and still doesn't have a release date. I see lots of other products and licenses announced by Green Ronin the past few years and nothing for this line in the same time.
            You should really read the Face of Thedas update thread. It's been a very, very long process, and it's not GR's fault. They've done their work; the delay in release is on Bioware's head, and by that I mean it's EA's fault for pushing Bioware in directions that they never would've if EA had never bought them.
            "It's time to go with plan B."
            "What's plan B?"
            "Plan B is plan A, with explosives."

Comment

One of the things you need to keep in mind about licensed properties like this. Giant video game companies don't really care about the tabletop game market. Dragon Age: Inquisition sold something like 6 million copies on launch day. The tabletop game sold many orders of magnitude less than that. The revenue they make from the licensing the RPG is rounding error in comparison. They don't let us just go how wild and write whatever books we want to. We have to get permission for each and every book we make. And then they each have to go through several layers of approval. Licensing is a complicated thing, and there are different sorts of licenses. Where you see an RPG company shovel out book after book, that's likely a completely different sort of license, one that's pretty loosely controlled. Bioware wants to tightly control their licenses. What some people don't seem to understand at all is that if we had our way, we'd have put out way more Dragon AGE books. Everyone here at Green Ronin loves the shit out of Dragon Age. Some of us have played through every game enough times to get every possible ending. ( Though I must admit that I'm the slacker who hasn't even got past the Hinterlands yet in DA:I. )

Comment

I think too many people forget, or are ignorant of the fact that the days of TTRPGs filling in the gaps is long gone. Sure WEG Star Wars got away with it, but IP for geek stuff wasn't as tightly held back then. Game companies do their absolute best to get things out for people. Because, above and beyond loving the hobby, they have bills to pay. So IDK why anyone acts like game companies just like, aren't making books because of like what? Hatred? They think it's funny? No, it's because when they're working with established IP, they're working at the IP holder's pace.

In the mean time, you have the books, run your game!
                ᛬ᚼᛁᚾᛋᛁᚴᛁᚾ᛬ᛁᛘ᛬ᛁᚴ᛬

Comment

I highly doubt any other company, besides maybe Bioware itself, would get books out any faster.

I can only imagine that this is just as frustrating, even more so, for the folks who want to write the books, as it is for the folks who want to buy the books.

Whenever any Dragon Age book comes out, you’d better believe or podcast will be all over it!
                  If you enjoy the AGE system you might enjoy our podcast, The Adventure Game Engine Interest Series (The AGEIS)! Formerly known as the Wonders of Thedas, we talk about all iterations of the AGE system from Dragon Age to the Expanse! We do actual plays as well as discussion episodes where we take listener questions, feature fan creations, and share news about the AGE systems! Step through the portals to see the many worlds they hide!

You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter, listen to us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, and other places you get podcasts! You can contact us through our social media, Soundcloud, or by emailing us at ageipodcast@gmail.com !

Comment

I think the issue is made worse by the snail's pace it takes Green Ronin to release books that aren't licensed. Look at how slow the support for Fantasy Age is. Fantasy Age has been out how many years and how many books are there? What four? I get that Green Ronin is a small company, but they also fail to adequately support what they do have. They get into so many systems and settings, then fail to deliver any support for them beyond the bare bones. Look at their history, True 20 anyone? Blue Rose? When was the last time a Song of Fire and Ice product was released? What about setting books for Fantasy Age or a revamped book that brings the Fantasy more inline with Modern?

Comment

Originally posted by BytomMan View Post
                      It seems the fault mostly lies with Bioware, rather than EA Games - I'd have thought the latter would be keen to extract profit from every revenue stream, however small. There are other big companies that allow RPG product to be churned out by the companies who've paid for the license - Star Wars and Warhammer, for example. Bioware couldn't even be bothered to allow GR to produce a Mass Effect RPG - which is basically a license to print money.

I wonder whether gamers like ourselves ought to organise ourselves and question Bioware staff via tweets or questions at gaming conventions about the tabletop RPG - not combatative, but curious and encouraging. It might help.

Comment

Originally posted by username View Post
                        I think the issue is made worse by the snail's pace it takes Green Ronin to release books that aren't licensed. Look at how slow the support for Fantasy Age is. Fantasy Age has been out how many years and how many books are there? What four? I get that Green Ronin is a small company, but they also fail to adequately support what they do have. They get into so many systems and settings, then fail to deliver any support for them beyond the bare bones. Look at their history, True 20 anyone? Blue Rose? When was the last time a Song of Fire and Ice product was released? What about setting books for Fantasy Age or a revamped book that brings the Fantasy more inline with Modern?
                        Fantasy AGE released in August 2015, or three and a third years ago. We've published a total of four books for the line. ( And five PDF adventures ) We've also published three Blue Rose books, which are pretty easy to use with Fantasy AGE.

Please note that our license for Song of Ice and Fire ended in 2017.
                        https://greenronin.com/blog/2018/01/...n-2018-part-1/

Finally, as this thread is about licensed works, please note that sometimes the approval process really sucks. Sometimes books get mostly written, and then sit there through no fault of ours. We've been releasing an average of at least a book a year for every nonlicensed line that we have. We're trying. And having the same few voices bitch and moan about our "snail's pace" is actually pretty frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Parsival View Post
                          It seems the fault mostly lies with Bioware, rather than EA Games - I'd have thought the latter would be keen to extract profit from every revenue stream, however small. There are other big companies that allow RPG product to be churned out by the companies who've paid for the license - Star Wars and Warhammer, for example. Bioware couldn't even be bothered to allow GR to produce a Mass Effect RPG - which is basically a license to print money.

I wonder whether gamers like ourselves ought to organise ourselves and question Bioware staff via tweets or questions at gaming conventions about the tabletop RPG - not combatative, but curious and encouraging. It might help.
                          That would be a bad idea. We'd like to keep working with them and don't want to antagonize them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                            Fantasy AGE released in August 2015, or three and a third years ago. We've published a total of four books for the line. ( And five PDF adventures ) We've also published three Blue Rose books, which are pretty easy to use with Fantasy AGE.

Please note that our license for Song of Ice and Fire ended in 2017.
                            https://greenronin.com/blog/2018/01/...n-2018-part-1/

Finally, as this thread is about licensed works, please note that sometimes the approval process really sucks. Sometimes books get mostly written, and then sit there through no fault of ours. We've been releasing an average of at least a book a year for every nonlicensed line that we have. We're trying. And having the same few voices bitch and moan about our "snail's pace" is actually pretty frustrating.

I understand your point of view Fildrigar. Please understand mine. Should I be happy that a system I love so much gets ONE book a year? I am your customer. I want to give you my money, but I can't give it to you when there is no product to buy. I am saying that maybe as a company you are stretched too thin. If you can only produce one book a year for each of your product lines, then maybe you need to trim down your product lines and produce more content for less lines.

I love Bioware games and I love Dragon Age. I also really enjoy Green Ronin products. If there is this much hassle with making product for Dragon Age, why even bother? The effort could be put towards something more productive like new True20, Mutants & Masterminds, or AGE system content. Even expand Freeport content to be compatible with more systems. Add more Freeport Fate Core Content or create a Freeport Dungeon Crawl Classics sourcebook. Revive ICONS with an update or some new sourcebooks. What about Mutant & Masterminds Fate Core books? Heck put out something that is non-licenced. It would mean more money for Green Ronin and more satisfied customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fildrigar View Post
                              And having the same few voices bitch and moan about our "snail's pace" is actually pretty frustrating.
                              That is pretty understandable. Indeed, the output for the AGE engine is not bad, and the exceptional, incomparable game master kits GR puts out are not even mentioned in your list.

I too would, of course, like to see more products, simply as a fan of the AGE engine and FAGE in particular. But I also know that as human beings, writers and producers of games (especially niche ones) need a pat on the shoulder sometimes more than criticism (although this is also very much necessary for keeping up standards).

So, here es my pat on the shoulder. Nearly all AGE books are awesome. Not faultless (nothing ever is), but awesome. Keep on!

An additional note: That Titansgrave seems to be rather dead is sad, but to all appearances this no fault of GR either.
                              Last edited by rulandor; 9th December 2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X