Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAMPAIGN THREAD - Post your campaign ideas and outline campaign ideas for other GMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAMPAIGN THREAD - Post your campaign ideas and outline campaign ideas for other GMs

So, here's the thing: we all know how ideas come from other sources, right? Well, these are some of the campaigns I clearly 'stole' from other sources. How about you guys share your campaign ideas and how original (or not) they are? I'd love to see what you're playing.

A shout out to Alurvelve (who shared his elven heroes with us recently) and Kot (who showed us his Faith Misplaced campaign and setting on his blog). You guys inspired this ;-)

================================================== ===========================

SHADOW OVER THEDAS
    Have you ever played the "Tower of Doom" and "Shadow over Mystara" games? Ok, here's the basic idea.

The northern parts of Orlais are under a terrible siege as the number of monsters and their attacks rise. A group of four adventurers step forth to rescue various areas, then are sent by the Imperial Agent Corwyn Linton to investigate the attacks, revealed to be masterminded by the blood mage (later Arcane Horror) Deimos. Eventually the adventurers make their way to the Deimos' Tower of Doom and ultimately destroy him.

After defeating the Deimos, the heroes continued on their journey through Nevarra until they reach Tevinter after realizing that Deimos is only part of an even greater evil plan, and he was in fact being used by a mysterious sorceress named Synn. Synn, who appears to be a young woman but commands incredibly powerful magical abilities, has been scheming to control the Tevinter Imperium and conquer the Nevarra and Orlais. But now that Deimos has been defeated, Synn vowed to punish the land that she desired.

At the campaign's end the player discovers that Synn is in fact a centuries-old blood mage/shapeshifter/abomination (not much different from Flemeth, for example), bent on harnessing the mystical forces of the lands she has conquered, in order to awaken a creature of even more devastating physical prowess than herself - a true Archdemon. The heroes then fight against Synn in her lair while combined forces from the Grey Wardens of Orlais, Nevarra, and Tevinter fight her forces and stop her from awakening the monster.

CREATURES AND PLACES "CONVERSION"
    goblins and kobolds ~ genlocks; blood-slave genlock; brigands or thugs
    orcs and gnolls ~ hurlocks; blood-slave hurlock; brigands, thugs or mercenaries
    ogre ~ ogre; blood-slave ogre; knight
    undead ~ undead
    owl bear ~ bear
    displacer beast ~ blood-slave great lion
    troglodytes ~ mercenaries/rogues
    troll ~ mercenary leader
    dragon ~ dragon (young female)
    hellhound ~ blood-slave mabari; rage-bound mabari; tainted wolf
    shadow elf ~ blood mage/arcane warrior elf (apprentice)
    manticore ~ wyvern
    mud golem ~ summoned demons or stone golems
    flamewing ~ high dragon
    deimos ~ powerful blood mage, later arcane horror abomination; former first-enchanter
    dark warrior1 ~ common pride demon
    harpy ~ deformed desire demon controlling elven warriors
    tel'arin ~ arcane warrior, dragon rider (controls dragons with blood magic)
    giant beetle ~ cave beetle swarm
    beholder ~ deformed magical abomination (mage’s head bloats and deforms as it is possessed by a sloth demon)
    gargoyles ~ shades
    chimera ~ blood-slave wyvern or rage bound wyvern. fade creature.
    gnomes ~ fade spirits and shades
    red dragon ??? ~ fade dragon
    rafael the immortal ~ great (benevolent) fade spirit
    frost salamander/salamander ~ epic rage demon (fire or frost based)
    ezerhorden ~ greater shade
    dark warrior2 ~ elite pride demon
    nagpa ~ corrupted circle mage, controls monsters
    synn ~ abomination, invincible except in the fade, shapeshifter with dragon form

Darokin ~ Orlais
    ~~ city of athenos: Halamshiral
    ~~ city of coruglain: Val Chevin
    ~~ fort runnels: Montfort
    ~~ old dwarven tunnels: deep roads
    Karameikos ~ Ferelden
    Broken Lands ~ Nahasin Marshes or Nevarra
    Broken Lands ~ Anderfels
    Glantri ~ Tevinter
    ~~ gnome village: trapped in the Fade
    ~~ aegmor: ancient elven lands
    ~~ lost world: fade domain
    ~~ air castle: fade domain

SHADOW OF THE ANDERFELS

A campaign I did for only one player, inspired by the Shadow of Mordor game. The story is set during the *Second Blight* (1:05-1:95 Divine), when generations were born, lived, and died, under the threat of the Archdemon Zazikel. Since it was only one player, he created his character with epic rules.

My player created a Grey Warden of Nordbotten - the very place where the Grey Wardens first appeared on the battlefield during the First Blight. The city is attacked and destroyed in the beginning of the Second Blight; the hero loses everything on this attack, family, friends and even his own life! A short adventure in the Fade connects the hero to a benevolent spirit who brings him back - and we have a Spirit Warrior.

The stories were inspired by quests in both games, with genlocks and hurlocks instead of orcs, revenants and undead, adventures to protect people from the war and so on.

Last edited by Icarus; 7th May 2018, 12:49 PM.
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/5902-AGE-DRAGON-AGE-STUFF-Characters-Creatures-etc-NEW-GENLOCK-NECROMANCER-amp-RISEN-OGRE"]My Dragon Age Thread: Characters, Organizations, Optional Rules, Items, Monsters and More[/URL]
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1589-Dragon-Ball-AGE"]My Dragon Ball conversion for AGE (incomplete)[/URL]
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1478-ICARUS-STUFF-MORE-PL-4-Archetypes-(Street-Fighter-Shotoclones)"]My M&M3E Builds[/URL]

Re: CAMPAIGN THREAD - Post your campaign ideas and outline campaign ideas for other GMs

So, I've talked about this a number of times, both here and on the Wonders of Thedas podcast, but my most recent DA campaign was a reworking of Scenic Dunnsmouth, an adventure originally created for the Lamentations of the Flame Princess rpg.

As a setting, Dunnsmouth is very much reminiscent of the Fallow Mire section of Dragon Age: Inquisition, which made it a perfect 'sandbox' for my players/Inquisition agents.

The adventure itself deals with two primary motivators: a spider cult and a time-warping cube. However, the main conceit of the module is that the town itself is procedurally generated via a series of dice rolls and card flips. As such, the actual town of Dunnsmouth is different from campaign to campaign. While my Dunnsmouth was particularly overrun with spider cultists (seriously, only 3 of the households *weren't* spider cultists), a different Dunnsmouth might be much more wholesome or, at least, more hospitable.

I included that Dragon Age "flair" through a number of vehicles. One of the major static NPCs--Magda--fits perfectly as either a blood mage or a Witch of the Wilds. Uncle Novik, another NPC, can make for a neat way to show off some of the rarely used traps and grenade rules. Considering the Inquisition quests "In Hushed Whispers" and "The Still Ruins", the time cube itself makes for a great way to introduce blood/time magic, as well as providing a target for antagonists, such as the Venatori and Red Templars. I included a Venatori mage named Leonara, her second in command Pellidanus, and a retinue of red templars in various flavors, attempting to excavate the cube.

The spider cult was the more difficult to implement, but I built up a series of background 'codex' entries about an elven warlord named Sathurian, who became enslaved by a progenitor spider (and ended up designing the Varterrals as an homage to the spiders). Sathurian was cast out and locked into a sealed tomb complex beneath the swamps of what is now Dunnsmouth, whereupon he rose as a Revenant.

I would recommend that, if you were to run Scenic Dunnsmouth using DA, to include at least 2 additional "kicker" locations to give the town a little more life. As written, Dunnsmouth is barely a ramshackle collection of crumbling houses, though the special kicker locations tend to give the town a little more variety and liveliness.

Comment

Re: CAMPAIGN THREAD - Post your campaign ideas and outline campaign ideas for other GMs

Originally posted by PlatinumWarlock View Post
      So, I've talked about this a number of times, both here and on the Wonders of Thedas podcast, but my most recent DA campaign was a reworking of Scenic Dunnsmouth, an adventure originally created for the Lamentations of the Flame Princess rpg.(...)
      I would recommend that, if you were to run Scenic Dunnsmouth using DA, to include at least 2 additional "kicker" locations to give the town a little more life. As written, Dunnsmouth is barely a ramshackle collection of crumbling houses, though the special kicker locations tend to give the town a little more variety and liveliness.
      That sounds great I'll certainly use something like this spider cult. Can you share your codex entries?

Question: What do you mean by 'kicker' locations?
      Last edited by Icarus; 7th May 2018, 01:49 PM.
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/5902-AGE-DRAGON-AGE-STUFF-Characters-Creatures-etc-NEW-GENLOCK-NECROMANCER-amp-RISEN-OGRE"]My Dragon Age Thread: Characters, Organizations, Optional Rules, Items, Monsters and More[/URL]
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1589-Dragon-Ball-AGE"]My Dragon Ball conversion for AGE (incomplete)[/URL]
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1478-ICARUS-STUFF-MORE-PL-4-Archetypes-(Street-Fighter-Shotoclones)"]My M&M3E Builds[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus View Post
        That sounds great I'll certainly use something like this spider cult. Can you share your codex entries?

Question: What do you mean by 'kicker' locations?
        Re: Spider Cult Codex:

Sathurian, the Kinslayer, was once a warrior and smith of ELvhenan, brave and true. He led warriors against the Imperium again and again, wielding magic and might with equal measure. When the creatures emerged from the depths, he was among the first to volunteer to destroy the filth that emerged.
        Sathurian returned from the depths below the earth victorious, his soldiers bringing tales of shattered shields and blackened blood. Sathurian, though, grew quiet and insular. He spoke to few and befriended less. The Elders of Elvhenan began to wonder what had happened to their champion.

The Kinslayer’s dotage was for a singular creature, a strange spider he had found deep in the bowels of the earth. He treated this creature as a beloved companion and pet, and all within his house grew to love it. Sathurian began to craft sculpture to memorialize his companion.
        The ancestors of Elvhenan knew nothing of his shift in mindset. Slowly, one-by-one, Sathurian introduced more and more of his followers to his beloved. With each bite, Sathurian’s followers grew. With each bite, the creature’s girth and power grew.

Using craft long forgotten, Sathurian imbued the statuary with primal power, bringing them to a semblance of life. He presented them to the ancestors as “Varterral”--the new guardians of Elvhenan. The Elders accepted these with eagerness, setting them in places of great value and power.
        Sathurian could not contain the secret of these creatures for long, however. The rituals to raise a Varterral came from lore stolen from Tevinter, harnessing the power of the Blight through blood magic. Sathurian’s own household provided the blood for the first of the Varterrals. Devoted to his pet, Sathurian raised creatures in its image again and again.

At long last, the secret emerged. The Kinslayer was set to die by the Elders’ hand, but his followers secreted his escape into the wilderness. There, they worshipped the spider as their god, as it grew titanic and monstrous. The Elders cursed the Kinslayer’s name; even as his followers died away, his mind lived on, seeking only to serve the blight-spider and its horrific brood.
        For many years, the Kinslayer and his corrupted followers worshipped the creature in the wilderness of Alamarri lands. With each passing generation, their offspring grew fecund and terrible. Even as the Kinslayer wasted away and his flesh fell from his bones, his followers grew both in number and in horror.

Unable to brook these creatures upon their lands, the Alamarri swept across the Kinslayer’s brood like a plague, slaying the creatures with abandon, including Sathurian’s original pet, which was swollen with eggs. The Kinslayer himself fled into the depths once more, with a single fist-sized egg within his pack.
        The pair were lost to memory. As ancient Arlethan fell, the Elvhen were scattered to the winds, the secrets of the Varterral and their creator were lost to time.

I split the above into five separate sections and distributed them as the PCs made their way through Sathurian's ruins, in search of the time cube.

Re: Kickers

Okay, so, remember how I said that Dunnsmouth is procedurally generated? Well, when you sit down to play for the first time, you literally take a big handful of dice (a single d4, about 12 d6s, 2 d12s, and a few other dice) and chuck them down onto a piece of paper. You then denote where each die is, what number it shows, and the like.

d6s are all individual homesteads, which are further randomized by a deck of cards. Each household might be part of of one of four primary clans (which are symbolized by the four suits).

The d12s represent what are called "kickers"--special locations that aren't homesteads or the like. In my game, the kickers included the ruins of an old military fort, two manor houses, a crypt/graveyard, and a wrecked catamaran. The kickers range from mills to inns to an old quarry to any number of other locations. SD recommends only using two, but that leaves the town itself really sparse; four to six makes the town much more active and dynamic.

Comment

Re: Spider Cult Codex: (...)
          Thank you so much <3

Re: Kickers(...)
          Ohhhhhh now it makes sense! Thank you!

Comment

Do note that the codex entry there deliberately flies in the face of existing DA lore. The timeline for the blight, the creation of the first varterral, and the fall of Arlathan are all conflated in that entry.

That was a deliberate twist meant for my PCs, three of whom were elven mages and were appalled to find that their ancestral history might not be what they thought.

Comment

Working...
            X