Shapeshifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shapeshifting

What weapon group would a shapeshifters natural weapons be under? Brawling?

or are they not under any group?

Building a creation/primal focused apostate shapeshifter and trying to pick ability focuses.

Re: Shapeshifting

I'd call it Brawling, personally.

Comment

Personally, I just give the shifter the physical stats of the animal, focuses and all, to represent the physical enhancements. I wouldn't make a mage buy focuses for forms they may not use.

Comment

Yeah, I just use brawling, no gore, claw, kicking or any other focus for the natural attacks of creatures (not only shapeshifted ones). if it's a natura weapon it's brawling. 4 years and no issues.
        DiBastet's Homebrew - My own homebrew. Use them, mine them for ideas, change them, as you see fit.
        AGE of Darkness - Converting World of Darkness to Fantasy Age.
        AGE of Wacraft - Playing AGE in Azeroth.

Age of Homebrew - Links to other homebrew. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
          Personally, I just give the shifter the physical stats of the animal, focuses and all, to represent the physical enhancements. I wouldn't make a mage buy focuses for forms they may not use.
          I'd lean towards handling it this way too. The Shapeshifter Small, Large and Vicious Animal Form spells make it clear that the Mage only preserves their Cunning, Magic and Willpower abilities while shape changed. So it makes sense that they wouldn't have focuses/weapon groups that are linked to their Mage abilities -i.e. Dexterity- that aren't maintained after the transformation. At the same time it makes sense they would gain any special focuses/weapon groups -i.e. Dexterity[Bite], Strength[Claws]- that are linked to the abilities of the animal they've transformed into.
          Last edited by kronovan; 17th August 2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Ah, thank you for the response guys. That does make shapeshifting alot better than I initially thought (still was going for it),

Btw, if I am using a battlemat, were can I find the sizes of the creatures in the core book? for example how many squares should a high dragon take up? I know the conversion is 2 yards=1 square but I cannot find size categories. Maybe I am just blind, it would also help in finding out which forms I can actually take (and would help when making new ones)

Comment

Originally posted by Wizardfrog View Post
              Btw, if I am using a battlemat, were can I find the sizes of the creatures in the core book? for example how many squares should a high dragon take up? I know the conversion is 2 yards=1 square but I cannot find size categories. Maybe I am just blind, it would also help in finding out which forms I can actually take (and would help when making new ones)
              It is not included, you aren't missing anything. The best you can do is track down descriptions of them and hope they reference some information about the size. You can also try to make real world comparisons to things you think are roughly the same size as the creature in question. I would love to see them include this kind of info moving forward (likely would have been more helpful than the Threat Level details, at least in my opinion).
              [URL="https://da-requiem.obsidianportal.com/"]Dragon Age: Requiem[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by kronovan View Post
                I'd lean towards handling it this way too. The Shapeshifter Small, Large and Vicious Animal Form spells make it clear that the Mage only preserves their Cunning, Magic and Willpower abilities while shape changed. So it makes sense that they wouldn't have focuses/weapon groups that are linked to their Mage abilities -i.e. Dexterity- that aren't maintained after the transformation. At the same time it makes sense they would gain any special focuses/weapon groups -i.e. Dexterity[Bite], Strength[Claws]- that are linked to the abilities of the animal they've transformed into.
                That makes sense, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizardfrog View Post
                  Ah, thank you for the response guys. That does make shapeshifting alot better than I initially thought (still was going for it),

The fact that 1 square (if you use squares) equals 2 meters means that the problems only really occur with the biggest things, since even great bears or ogres can be just left with 2x2 yard squares to stand on. So if you're not sure what the correct size is, I would go for standard size, generally speaking. Only the great monsters (like high dragon) should require more (and then most often than not a 4v4 square should be the way to go (with hexes I would recommend picking a round shape: central tile+all adjactent). DA combat system doesn't care what direction things are facing, so - to avoid problems - it's best to make each combatant a square/circle on the combat map.

Comment

Working...
                  X