Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Magical Mishaps

This was posted on the old forum:

1 - Mana Drain: The mage loses mana equal to twice the spellís original cost in addition to the initial cost paid (for a total of triple the usual cost).
    2 - Mana Burn: The mage loses Health equal to twice the spellís original cost.
    3 - Backlash: The shock of the mishap leaves the mage unable to cast any spells for 1d6 rounds.
    4 - Magic Drain: The mage loses 1d3 Magic points (and a corresponding amount of mana) until they have a full rest.
    5 - Misfire: The spell effect occurs, but targets an ally rather than an enemy (or vice versa) or has the opposite of the intended effect (healing rather than harming, or vice versa). The GM determines the particulars of the misfire.
    6 - Magical Feedback: Misfire plus another random mishap occur. Roll again, ignoring a result of 5 or 6.

It keeps the general feel of the mishaps, without having the bothersome Harrowing/possession.

Re: Alternate Magical Mishaps

looks pretty good
    Currently Playing:
    An Arl's Ransom - Xavier [url]http://roninarmy.com/threads/282-Characters-An-Arl-s-Ransom?p=8484&viewfull=1#post8484[/url]

Currently Running:
    Betrayer of Asgard - Conan converted over to Dragon Age <link to be added later>

Comment

Originally posted by sloblock View Post
      looks pretty good
      I thought so. Credit should also go to Gairten and Maosn25 for providing input/ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
        I thought so. Credit should also go to Gairten and Maosn25 for providing input/ideas.
        Thanks. I've got this ready to go and I'm excited to see it in action. But neither of my mages have spells that would trigger it yet.

Comment

I've implemented it, but haven't had any mishaps yet. Still, my mage wasn't casting upper tier spells because of the negative consequences.

Comment

We just recently started back up. So our mages haven't even reached level 2 yet.

Comment

Oh, yeah, you killed everyone!

Comment

Lol. I did. But we took a year off and just recently restarted.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
                  Oh, yeah, you killed everyone!
                  sounds brutal
                  Currently Playing:
                  An Arl's Ransom - Xavier [url]http://roninarmy.com/threads/282-Characters-An-Arl-s-Ransom?p=8484&viewfull=1#post8484[/url]

Currently Running:
                  Betrayer of Asgard - Conan converted over to Dragon Age <link to be added later>

Comment

Originally posted by sloblock View Post
                    sounds brutal
                    It kind of was. I posted the story in the forums. The thread is called "Death in a Cave" if you want to read the story.

Here is a link to it:
                    roninarmy.com/threads/86-Death-in-a-cave

Comment

Would a second roll of 5 or 6 be re-rolled until one from 1-4 happens or would the mage just thank their lucky stars and carry on with their business?

Comment

Part of me wants to say re-roll. Part of me doesn't.

Comment

I'm the same. But I think I'm going to go with re-roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Maosn25 View Post
                            I'm the same. But I think I'm going to go with re-roll.
                            I like the idea of the re-roll
                            Currently Playing:

Currently Running:

Comment

I do, too. I just don't know if it would be too punishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X