Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

To sleep, perchance to dream (and restore character's resources)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To sleep, perchance to dream (and restore character's resources)

This was something I'll only likely get away with once, but I'd like to pass it on to other GMs for an arrow in their trick bag. You don't need to take it to the extreme I did, but not allowing easy recovery can be very useful for ratcheting up the tension in a run.

I had the players adventure in a place where the veil was very, very thin and they were warned that it would be dangerous to sleep there. This meant they needed to conserve their resources -- especially their mages and mana -- until they were able to complete their appointed task. It was a slog of an exploration and actually the characters were awake for about 30 hours and the course ran over six runs (which in real life took place over six months). Everyone who endured it will remember it as the "longest day of their life," and boy, did they feel like they 'did something' by the end of it.

Re: To sleep, perchance to dream (and restore character's resources)

Every once in a while, something like this is fun and exciting. Like you say, though, it can't be done all of the time.

Comment

Working...
    X