Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When/where did you set your Dragon Age campaign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When/where did you set your Dragon Age campaign?

I've set my campaign about 150 years after Origins. We began playing before Inquisition was released, so I wanted enough room to manouver around whatever it could throw.

I chose a "canon path" for the games, and used that as my setting past. Besides, it's enough time apart that many things can go back to status quo without being forced depending on how the game proceeds: tension between templar and mages, I can do another Blight if I want, and all NPCs are new creations (so players don't know who to automatically trust).

Comment

Wow, that's really interesting. 150 years is a long time! That could easily affect things like political boundaries, technological advances, etc. Did you work any of that sort of thing in? Since you planned this before the release of Inquisition, is the Circle still in place in your future? Have you since come up with an explanation how it came back into place?

Comment

mine was a whole unique setup that changes the timeline of the game.

The players are trapped inside the lives of their characters due to a powerful demon named Beleal. he trapped the players in their game so he can feed off their life force and regain his power. the players arrive in Fereldan after the 5th blight but it is a very long winter, 6 months of one in fact. this is because of Beleal. I am having them run through several of the Adventures, official and fan-made. this lets them level up and fight Beleal on his terms. so while each adventure is basically a side quest that gets them the experience they need to face the real enemy.

Since i am altering the timeline, i may introduce Hawke and the Inquisitor (Including Coripheus and the Fade Rifts), but that is on the back burner for now.
        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAR0pWWHBadjJQdkU"]Age of Alchemy[/URL]
        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAY1JteV9mQjhxamc"]Battlemap Rules based on HeroScape[/URL]
        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAVzNDRUtWT0pjSnM"]Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy - Playtest version[/URL]
        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpATDZrZUhXaHBJd00"]Magic Items Repository Volume 1[/URL]
        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcHVOdVUtajJnV1k"]Magic Items Repository Volume 2[/URL]
        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpAcWM5VWFhcXVZUEU"]FAGE-TitansGrave Random Character Generator[/URL]
        [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE2hNokDtpANUxzNHo2aDYxejA"]20 races for FAGE...enjoy[/URL]
        [URL="https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/"]https://vladgenx.wordpress.com/[/URL] This is my new log Site i just created. it is going to have fantasy short story snippets for you guys. Enjoy

Comment

I let my players choose between
          1. the fifth blight (same setting as the DA:O)
          2. the Orlesian occupation
          3. the Seeker/Circle war

They hadn't done much fight off the evil invasion so they went for the Fifth Blight. We are currently set in the year before the Battle of Ostagar. My intention is for them to choose between either Wardens (anti-Darkspawn) or Loghain (anti-Orlesians) leading up to Ostagar.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentFarrell View Post
            Wow, that's really interesting. 150 years is a long time! That could easily affect things like political boundaries, technological advances, etc. Did you work any of that sort of thing in? Since you planned this before the release of Inquisition, is the Circle still in place in your future? Have you since come up with an explanation how it came back into place?
            Even with the time skip, I tried not messing around too much with the setting. I like the Dragon Age setting, and the change in era was pretty much a convenient way to push the reset button on what the games (and specially Inquisition, since we began playing before it was released) would change. 150 years is enough time for knowledge to be lost, facts to become "just legends" and history to repeat itself.

Yes, there are Circles of Magi. They were turned into schools and colleges, instead of prisons. But after a while, some templars moved closer. Then a little accident here and there and the common people asked the templars to get even closer "just in case". And so on. Slowly the templars and the Chantry inserted themselves back into the Circle management, and things are getting tense - which makes some smart people (and a couple players) worry that there will be a War 2.0. I had actually more notes about this (a vindictive Divine forcing this on the Circles, Orlais supporting to regain influence), but haven't read in a while, since my group's mage is from Tevinter and this haven't come significantly into play so far. I do, of course, have a small branch of rogue templars that broke from the order ever since the war and that simply hunt and execute ANY mages they find, because... well, because I needed something simple to throw at my players when I'm uninspired.

Some major changes I wrote because it would directly affect my players:
            - Tevinter is regaining power. To the point all countries around are getting a bit nervous.
            - Orlais is losing power and influence. To the point all countries around are laughing a lot.
            - Fereldan and Orlais are back at each other's throat. Another war may happen soon (... yeah. Not exactly surprising, I'm aware). And Nevarra's just waiting.
            - Anderfells isolated themselves from the rest of the world in the last decade.
            - Someone is brutally attacking regions around Rivain and Antiva with quick strikes. People on the region are blaming the Qunari, but few believe because "that doesn't sound like them".
            - Orzammar is pretty much screwed. Almost all the bad predictions some NPCs would make about "Orzammar's future being grim if things don't improve fast" were accurate. Their numbers are dwindling, their warriors barely hold the darkspawn and the nobles answer to that were to become even more isolationist. And they lost Kal Hirol (again). Oh and Kal Sharok is thriving. And might attack Orzammar soon. Depends on how much I can blame my dwarf player for that.
            - Ferelden is basically the same (so far), but Denerim is a bit more of a bad place. Overcrowded (I tripled the ammount of people living in the city), with low resources and some scheming-wannabe nobles.
            - Kirkwall still sucks.
            - Also, tecnically, it's not "dragon age" anymore for about 80 years...

Oh and the Inquisition is gone for a long time now.

Of the top of my head, I think that's it. I tried to avoid creating too much detail for each to not feel compeled to force in the game. Rather wait to see the direction the game is taking, and then develop more.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukahatt View Post
              Even with the time skip, I tried not messing around too much with the setting. I like the Dragon Age setting, and the change in era was pretty much a convenient way to push the reset button on what the games (and specially Inquisition, since we began playing before it was released) would change. 150 years is enough time for knowledge to be lost, facts to become "just legends" and history to repeat itself.
              Sounds cool. I probably would have done some minor tweaking, mostly in the archery department. Have crossbows becoming a little more prominent, heavier ones like Varric's becoming available (but rare), and possibly have an NPC with a unique, powerful prototype firearm. Just to show a little passage of time in the technology department.

Definitely sounds like you've thought through all of the political movements during your time skip. Sounds very cool.

I have one Mage in my group, an Apostate who hides what he is most of the time. I look forward to the fall of the Circles. He's going to have a bunch of varied influences on him by then, a Dalish Keeper, a Tevinter Magister, a Circle Mage turned Grey Warden, and I plan on introducing a rogue, solo Apostate NPC as well. It'll be intriguing to see what he chooses to do.

Comment

Working...
              X