Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Rules - Injuries

Good morning, all!

As mentioned in a different thread, I've been contemplating an Injury rule-set for my games. Similar in style to the Dragon Age Origins injuries, where each has a different effect, instead of DA2 where it's just a max health penalty.

The trigger is tentatively when a character hits 0 health and is "brought back" (death occurs at a lower HP level after a CON check - maybe - haven't tested it yet...just in concept stage). When an injury is triggered it's a D100 chart, which would allow me to make some of the more severe effects harder to get, instead of it being equal across the board (yes, being generous to the players).

My initial list is thus:

Injury - DA:O effect : DA:RPG effect

Bleeding - Health Regeneration : must be stabilized first, cannot benefit from ‘breather’.
    Broken Bone – Dexterity : -1 DEX penalty until healed
    Concussion – Magic : -1 MAG penalty until healed
    Coughing Blood – Fatigue : may only make a major action, no minor
    Cracked Skull – Cunning : -1 CUNNING penalty
    Crushed Arm - Damage : Cannot wield a weapon with that arm/hand.
    Damaged Eye – Attack : -2 attack
    Deafened – Defense : -2 defense
    Gaping Wound - Maximum Health : Max health reduced 25%
    Head Trauma – Willpower : -1 WIL penalty
    Open Wound - Nature Resistance :
    Torn Jugular – Constitution : -1 CON penalty
    Wrenched Limb - Attack Speed : -2 attack

It was sorely tempting to take some of these into WFRP2 levels of insane damage, where your character could become permanently crippled after their first fight, but I resisted

So, looking for feedback.

Other concepts considered:
    Injury trigger is "X amount of damage sustained in a single attack".
    Attack specific injuries (Burns, impalement, etc...)
    Even further attack specific injuries, different chart based upon weapon (Slashing, piercing, bludgeoning, fire, magic...et al)
    Toughness Numbers to Treat each injury to either mitigate, or "cure".
    Last edited by Wired_Wolf; 01-19-2015, 10:48 AM.
    The Veil Codex
    Random Weapons and Armor Tables
    Injuries

Re: House Rules - Injuries

For crushed arm, I'd probably switch that to a -1 STR penalty. Additionally, any stat penalty I think should be a -1 to tests, and not a negative to the actual stat.... Too many derived stats.

I'd also consider switching from 0HP to 50%, or after suffering a "severe injury" (like 15 or 20 damage in a single attack). Maybe the latter, as 50% HP could cramp a reaver' style... If ever implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
      For crushed arm, I'd probably switch that to a -1 STR penalty. Additionally, any stat penalty I think should be a -1 to tests, and not a negative to the actual stat.... Too many derived stats.
      Good point, less paperwork that way too.

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
      I'd also consider switching from 0HP to 50%, or after suffering a "severe injury" (like 15 or 20 damage in a single attack). Maybe the latter, as 50% HP could cramp a reaver' style... If ever implemented.
      I've been favoring the "severe injury" route lately. Maybe two injuries if a character is reduced to 0 HP, so give even more opportunities!
      The Veil Codex
      Injuries

Comment

Originally posted by Wired_Wolf View Post
        I've been favoring the "severe injury" route lately. Maybe two injuries if a character is reduced to 0 HP, so give even more opportunities!
        Yeah, I could see that.

I'd also limit how injuries could be healed - no potions, no spells (except Regeneration).

Comment

This is pretty similar to what I have (though a bit more complex) for Injuries in my own game. You can find them posted on the forums here in my House Rules thread or on my Campaign Page on OP, but ballpark you have the same kind of deal going on here.
          [URL="https://da-requiem.obsidianportal.com/"]Dragon Age: Requiem[/URL]

Comment

I did some injury cards in esoterica 1 to give out to people when they suffered one if that's of any use.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/556jwwh3x...encs8cyDa?dl=0
            Last edited by Hellebore; 01-20-2015, 12:25 AM.
            [url=https://www.dropbox.com/sh/556jwwh3xbxlhrl/AAAkLkSF39KdOVtmencs8cyDa?dl=0]Esoterica from Thedas Volumes 1-4[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Hellebore View Post
              I did some injury cards in esoterica 1 to give out to people when they suffered one if that's of any use.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/556jwwh3x...encs8cyDa?dl=0
              Well shoot, I know I saw them there and not sure why I didn't think of 'em.

Almost identical with what I was thinking too, I was considering the card route but didn't was initially trying to avoid the "having too many bits at the table" thing. May revisit that plan.
              The Veil Codex
              Injuries

Comment

Working...
              X